Need Some Advice on Training Schedule

Hey guys,

I’m looking for some experienced people their advice on possible routes to take in my new schedule.

I’m 26 years old,
6"1
210 lbs
I take on weight easily and have a tall, easy-buff physique.
I have played rugby for several years in my life, combined with general strength training (Starting Strength, Greyskull variation, Wendler, Olympic Routines).
I can do the big 4 compounds blindfolded and have been blessed with a very good Clean-technique.

Now,
Currently I’m having this morning routine in which I practice some yoga, a 5-minute plank and 20 minutes jogging session, before breakfast.

I’d like to keep this routine running in following order (Mo-Tu-Rest-Th-Fr-45 min. jog-Rest);
for the active working days, I’m looking for some add-on routine in the gym, which can help me out to reach better performance, keep a lean, strong physique; in general, be strong and athetic at the same time.

I was thinking about doing a major exercise each day, as proposed in the Wendler-program.
Yet, I’m wondering wether how much influence the morning routine will have on the weightlifting, and the other way around.

Also do you people know any other good performance routines, or programs which emphasizes condition as much as strength?

Any help and advice is sincerely appreciated.

Greetings,
BelgianWaffle

Loads of options. Could try these a couple days a week…

Is your real question whether the yoga and jogging will interfere with lifting?

If so, that depends on the intensity of the yoga, jogging, and lifting. At worst, something will suffer for a few weeks; then you’ll get used to it and all will be well.

I’d just pick a lifting program you like.

1 Like

no it doesn’t, lol. it’s fucking yoga. there is no type of yoga that would affect weight training performed hours later in the day. same for the jogging. 20 minutes of any form of cardio won’t affect that.

As a side note, I have SERIOUS doubts about this:

videos? or numbers on those lifts?

3 Likes

Hot yoga? I dunno. I see your point with this and the jogging, and I was tempted to respond with the same, but there is a vast spectrum of condition out there.

I would certainly agree about the technique. I believe Brian Shaw is still working his kinks out; the rest of us probably shouldn’t be so sure we’re nailing it.

Thanks for the quick answers guys.

The yoga isn’t that intense: it’s more like a small 10-15 minute sessions to get the blood flowing.

The question was indeed how far both disciplines can be practiced together, before they start interfering each other’s progress.
Also, Does the morning cardio interfere with the recovery period of the lifts the day before?

Also if there are any programs in which all of these activities get evenly emphasized.

I didn’t mean to brag about form & technique, I just meant I know the lifts and trust I steadily gain strength in these movements.

All of these were at 92 kg:
Squat: 5 x 110 kg
Bpress: 5 x 85 kg
Opress: 5 x 60 kg
Deadlift: 5 x 140 kg

yep, that’s where we disagree on these movements, lol. I would not consider you to be at a point where you should feel like you’ve mastered these movements, by any stretch. My bodyweight is less than yours, and my lifts are nearly double all of these. And I would NEVER suggest that I’ve mastered any of these lifts. I think that’s arrogant on your part.

The only way they can interfere with each other is if you get to be so huge, and so strong, that mobility becomes an issue in yoga. But I know 300 lbs guys out there who can still do yoga well. So you have nothing to worry about in that regard. And yoga will NEVER interfere with weightlifting.

no. not at all. It probably actually HELPS recovery. It’s a concept called ‘active recovery’ being active the day after a hard gym session, whether it’s riding a bike, jogging, rowing, whatever, is a very good idea to assist in muscle repair. The jogs will likely help you to be ready for your next gym session.

NFL athletes are doing FAR more cardio/conditioning/mobility work than you are, and they still also manage to put on considerable muscle mass.

The bottom line is, condition and mobility work will never, ever hinder your gains in the gym. Don’t think like that.

3 Likes

If i start a book of my favourite flip collar replies. This one is in there.

Op - flip is not wrong. Mastered is a strong word. There was a guy on here that posted videos of a 730lb squat. That WELL over double yours. And was still discussing how he messed up aspects.

Consider mastered means 0 wasted energy. 100% effective and efficient. That’s just not gonna happen unless you spend much more time under the bar.

FYI 5/3/1 or a simple double progress model on all the big lifts.

2 Likes

Thanks for the insights, guys.

I’m thinking about starting up the 5/3/1 on the four active days.

What is your opinion on adding a smaller Clean-routine as add-on on the big lifts (e.g. 1st Week: Monday: Squat: 2 x 5 x x kg; 1 x 5+ x kg; (Power-)Clean: 5 x 5 x fixed weight)

Would that be too much?

How would you people incorporate Olympic movements in the 5/3/1?

With a rugby background, just run 531. Add in a couple days of conditioning if that’s your thing. Do the yoga/jog thing.

No need to over complicate it. It’s just work. Do enough work, eat enough cals and sleep enough and you’ll grow. There’s really no magic formula. You just wanna get bigger, stronger and leaner. It’s not really goal specific so general work using 531 works perfect for a guy like you and those goals.

Olympic lifts are pointless. Unless you have good technique or someone to teach you good technique, don’t bother. Wendler doesn’t even use them for the high school football team he’s helping because he himself has said he doesn’t know enough to teach it.

1 Like

Why dont you just try it. Do your Yoga, do you running, Run basic 531, add in some cleans or whatever else you like as supplemental or assistance and see how you go. Keep a log of your training and look at the results. If you are feeling too beat up either eat more, harden up or drop something. The best way for any of us to learn what works is just to try something and adjust as we go.

2 Likes

Honestly if you’re running 5/3/1 don’t add O-lifts. If you really want to, do it on off days/conditioning focus on TECHNIQUE (7-10 sets of 2-3 reps with “great” form and long enough rest).

And if you want to do them in a program someday, do them first in the program.

I get where you’re coming in this specific thread, and maybe that’s because I have good enough technique, but power cleans/snatches really helped me in US football for speed and explosivity.

For someone who doesn’t have great technique, I find high pulls and speed deadlifts against band resistance to be useful for building explosive strength. With high pulls, you’re still exploding the bar upwards, you just don’t have to catch it. I’m pretty sure Thibs recommends the same thing.

EDIT: In my own programming, I also do a lot of sandbag overhead throws. I think those are excellent for building explosive strength.

2 Likes

Yes! I love high pulls and they are easier to do indeed. These along muscle snatches are his to-go for less technical people.

Ugh I really wish I had strongman stuff

1 Like

Buddy of mine interned with a Pro Football team in the Strength/conditioning part. The main strength coach had them do weighted box jumps for explosiveness. Since it took too much time to refine clean technique.

3 Likes

Anyway:
Why not do Texas Method?
1 Day of 5x5 hell:
5x5 Squat
5x5 Bench
1x5 Deadlift

1 Day of recovery work (Forgot what the ranges were but theres an article)

And 1 day of Maxes for Squat and bench - and you alternate Power Clean and Power Snatch each week. I personally omitted these when I did Texas Method.

1 Like