Need Serious Help With My Knees

I need serious help with my knees. I’m 25, about 185lbs, 6’, and reasonably fit. I’ve had problems with my knees for about 5 years now. In 2003 I injured my left quad tendon squatting after working in a freezer and not warming up enough. I could still play sports, and even squat after that, though squatting never again felt natural. Fast forward 3 years. I played a bunch of racquetball one weekend and I noticed my knees felt bad.

I went to a doctor. He said it was tendonitis and suggested quad strengthening. Dumb. Went to another doctor, he took x-rays, and diagnosed lateral tracking of the patella in both knees. I started therapy. It did not help. I tried therapy again. It did not help. I got an MRI. Partial tear of the left quadriceps tendon was diagnosed. Partial tear was repaired in July of 2006. I started rehab. I regained mobility and strength in my left knee. Problematic symptoms persisted though.

I guess I didn’t say what the symptoms were yet. Symptoms were a clicking left knee. Discomfort when squatting. Intermittent pain. This was all in my left knee.

After the surgery, symptoms were A LOT more clicking. My right knee started getting worse. After rehab, I contacted the surgeon to tell him I was not satisfied with progress. That was early last year. He gave me another therapist/trainer. I did therapy with him around Feb-April of 2007. No improvement. Was also told I have flat feet, or at least the arches collapse when bearing weight. I also notice a large q angle in my right leg.

Now, my knees flared up in the last month or two. All of the sudden then both got a lot worse, and I’m going to therapy again, but it’s pointless. Therapy offers no improvement, or even relief.

I’m desperate. I’m going to contact the doctor and give him a good frank talk about my situation and my extreme dissatisfaction with progress and therapeutic methods used thus far, of course being polite but firm. I’m going to request an MRI on both knees. Unfortunately he’s out of the office until next week and I want to talk to him NOW.

I need help. I’m afraid of what the MRI might show. I want to be able to be carefree again about my knees. I want to be able to play racquetball, downhill ski, football, or anything else with abandon. I don’t want to get surgery again. The previous surgery only seems to have made things worse. If I can avoid surgery, I need to find a trainer who can help me get back as close to 100% as possible. To get to my question finally, I need to find and excellent trainer. One of the best, who will look at my situation comprehensively, analyze all the variables(posture, diet, acute trauma, whatever) that may be contributing and develop a plan to get things back to normal. How do I find such a person?

Have you tried Trigger point therapy or soft tissue work? My MIL had sever pain in her knee and after really deep soft tissue work I performed on her 80% of her symptoms disappeared. It turns out she has a torn ACL, but most of her troubles (could not walk up stairs, climb out of bed) were solved withing 2 trigger point therapy sessions. Strengthening and stretching can irritate trigger points, so sometimes the typical PT model fails. Good luck.

[quote]chriscarani wrote:
Have you tried Trigger point therapy or soft tissue work? My MIL had sever pain in her knee and after really deep soft tissue work I performed on her 80% of her symptoms disappeared. It turns out she has a torn ACL, but most of her troubles (could not walk up stairs, climb out of bed) were solved withing 2 trigger point therapy sessions. Strengthening and stretching can irritate trigger points, so sometimes the typical PT model fails. Good luck. [/quote]

How do I find someone who can do that kind of thing?

Here is one way. http://www.amtamassage.org/
Click on find a massage therapist, enter your information and then under “Modalities/techniques practiced” click Neuromuscular and Trigger Point Therapy. Assuming you are in the US.

just wanted to say thanks for bringing up the potential seriousness of this. my knees are clicking and my squat weight keeps dropping. i also have flat feet. shit…

Have you seen this product and thread? Maybe you’d be able to fix yourself… Good luck.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1533425