T Nation

Need Routine For My Wife

I was hoping I could get some input on a good routine for my wife. I had an idea on a routine, but I would like some additional feedback.

She is 38. 5''8", around 155 lbs but that's a guess. She told me she wants to lose 10-15 pounds. Her goals are to build muscle, lose fat, look better. She is also training and working towards a half marathon 6 months from now. She runs 3 days a week, and she is committed to that. Basically she wants a program for the other 3 days.

Open to anything.

She mainly has done machine-based training. No Olympic type movements or anything advanced. A complete novice.

A good full body program 2 - 3 days a week would be a good accompanyment with the half marathon training. It worked well for me when I trained for the 2 that I have done. My wife is doing a push - pull routine by Jamie Eason and seems to like it though.

I started off with squats, lunges, Kbell swings, box jumps, push-ups, and a lot of dbell stuff for upper body. Contact HeavyTriple - he works with a lot of women across a wide range of experience levels.

What others have already suggested sounds good! Personally, I'm a big fan of Pilates. You don't need a lot of equipment to do it and the workouts are super adaptable (ranging from beginner to seriously intense). I think the biggest draw for me (and perhaps for many) is the fact that Pilates helps you develop long, lean muscles. There are a lot of other benefits as well like increased flexibility and balance, weight loss and strengthening your core.