T Nation

Need Plates?

Sports Authority is running an after Christmas sale on their weight sets (saw it in their Xmas flyer). I don’t know the exact prices but I got 300lbs in the summer for $99. 2 45’s, 2 35’s, 2 25’s, 2 10’s, 4 5’s and 2 2.5’s, plus bar. The bar will probably snap at anything over 300lbs though. But 300lbs for $99, that cant be beat!

That’s a good price for the plates alone.

I just bought one of these sets for my brother. At $109.99, it was still a great deal.

To those who have purchased these package deals at similar sporting goods stores, how high can we load these before risking death?

[quote]DrVonNostrand wrote:
I just bought one of these sets for my brother. At $109.99, it was still a great deal.

To those who have purchased these package deals at similar sporting goods stores, how high can we load these before risking death?[/quote]

NOT more than what comes with the bar. If you go above it, you’re playing a very dangerous game.

You’ll be totally fine. The bar I have was bought at a BIG5 sporting Goods store as part of a 300lb Olympic set 8-9 years ago. Countless time I have have 400, 500 even 600lbs on that bar and it hasn’t ever snapped in half on me.

[quote]PGA wrote:
DrVonNostrand wrote:

To those who have purchased these package deals at similar sporting goods stores, how high can we load these before risking death?

NOT more than what comes with the bar. If you go above it, you’re playing a very dangerous game.[/quote]

Safely this is true but I have loaded one of those bars well over 700lbs I use those junk bars for things like lock outs etc where it is more likely to damage a good bar. Just know your taking a risk.

Phill

I had two regular olympic bars from academy, they both bent under 545. I think they are typically rated for 600lbs.