T Nation

Need P+C , P+F, and C+F Recipes!!!

i need some good P+C, P+F, and C+F recipes. being only 17, and not having cooked anything my entire life (using raw ingredients), i’m kinda stuck when it comes to making healthy but enjoyable meals. does anyone have any good recipes that will help me eat clean (and not lose my appetite because the food tastes bland or disgusting)?

i know that its ideal to eat about 6 small meals, once every 2-3 hours, and i know that breakfast should be the biggest meal, and meal size should decrease as the day goes by. what should i focus on eating during those meals? (meal 1: P+C, meal 2: P+F, etc.)

1 last question. what do i do if i’m not hungry at all? should i force myself to eat something small even though i don’t feel hungry, just so i can eat my 6 meals?

by the way, i was joking about C+F recipes. i know C+F is the worst thing you can possibly eat. :smiley:

If youre not hungry then drink a protein shake.
Not all your meals have to be solid foods. Most people cant sit down for 6 meals a day.
It’s good to get the bulk of your calories from “real” food but shakes can be a great help.
GROW! is delicious and a good base for a P+F meal or a P+C meal.

scrambled egg whites with low fat cheese & spinach (frozen outta bag, just nuke it with a bit of water) on a whole wheat tortilla topped wih some salsa (P+C)

Grow! blended with Oats & a banana (P+C)

Steak and steamed green vegetables (P+F)

Grow! with flax seed oil (P+F)

Just read labels and keep reading and posting on here.
You’ll get lots of good advice

search the forums for recipes. I have posted several. You can click on my name and find all my posts.

Also go to John Berardi’s web site and read the recipes on there.

This is your reading list. All of them are available on T-nation:
[b]
7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs

Recipes for Success (all of them)

School Days (both)

Diet Planning for the Long Haul

Berardi’s Kitchen (both)

Lean Eatin’ (both)

Food on the Go
[/b]

Good luck man – keep posting.

also to avoid blandness, use salt and pepper, and sauces!

you can totally change the nature of a chicken breast just by using a different sauce or spice. go nuts.

here is another tip: get a george foreman grill, and grill up at least 3 breasts at a time. Don’t waste your time… if you’re going to take the time to get it out, wait for it to heat up/etc, you may as well cook 4 breasts. They’ll keep just fine in the fridge for several days and you can grab them on the go-- none of that pussy protein bar crap, just run out of the house with a chicken breast and a napkin.

I’m 20 and have gone through what you’re going through so feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions or want more tips.

You don’t want c+f recipes. Don’t eat meals containing a lot of carbs and a lot of fat for a regular bulking phase if you want to avoid putting on a lot of fat.

STAY AWAY from the C+F unless you think that potato chips are gonna get you ripped, in which case you are severly mistaken.

[quote]Stacked wrote:
You don’t want c+f recipes. Don’t eat meals containing a lot of carbs and a lot of fat for a regular bulking phase if you want to avoid putting on a lot of fat. [/quote]

i really really really hope that was just a joke…because

[quote]jo3 wrote:
by the way, i was joking about C+F recipes. i know C+F is the worst thing you can possibly eat. :smiley: [/quote]

:stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]jo3 wrote:
being only 17, and not having cooked anything my entire life (using raw ingredients), i’m kinda stuck when it comes to making healthy but enjoyable meals.[/quote]

This is a lot simpler than people think. I may not be an expert on bodybuilding and workouts, but I do know my way around a kitchen.

Personally, I stay away from the microwave. There’s no horror story there, it’s just that I like to judge whether my food is done by how it looks, feels, and smells instead of what the timer says. The microwave makes this difficult, because you have to stop cooking to look at your food – on a good old fashioned stove, you can look and sniff and peek all you want with minimal impact on your food.

Since “protein” usually means “meat” to people like us, here’s the basic “how to cook meat”.

Dry your meat thoroughly. Salt and pepper it. (This is IMPORTANT. Salt and pepper BEFORE you cook. It’s better this way.) Heat the empty pan on medium-high heat. When you put the dry meat in the dry pan, it should immediately sizzle. Lower the heat to medium, and wait until you can see the “cooked” texture of the meat starting to creep up the sides. This only takes a couple minutes. Flip the meat over, and do the same again. Then lower the heat a bit more and leave the meat cook until it feels solid all the way through – underdone meat feels sort of liquid or gelatinous when you poke at it with a fork, while cooked meat feels more springy and bouncy. You’ll get used to the feel, in time.

Once you think the meat is done, pull it out of the skillet, remove any bones, and slice it into strips (removing as much fat as possible). This will allow you to see whether it really IS done. If not, finish cutting, and throw the strips back in the skillet. They’ll be done in very short order, and then you can set them aside.

This is already a perfectly good high-protein meal, so all you need is something high in carbs or fat to throw under or alongside it.

I do a lot of whole-grain rice, which most people do NOT know how to cook properly. The secret to rice is – don’t touch it! Throw your rice and water in the pan (you may add spices to this if you like; I almost always preseason with basil, oregano, thyme, garlic, and cayenne pepper), let it come to a boil over medium heat, and then reduce the heat and cover it. Just don’t stir the rice. Once all the water’s absorbed (15-20 minutes usually), take it off the heat, and you’ll have better rice than most people have ever eaten.

Now you can just go to town with veggies. My main complement is spinach, yellow peppers (which contain an enzyme that aids digestion), onions, and tomatoes. Buy canned tomatoes – they’re invariably better than anything you’re going to find in the produce aisle.

P+F meals are more difficult for me. I usually accomplish this by having plain old meat with a pair of oil shots, one olive and one flax, but there are undoubtedly better ways to do it. Somebody will probably enlighten us on one or two of them.

Another workable P+C combination I use often is to chuck tuna, spinach, pepper, and onion into a bowl and sprinkle liberally with balsamic vinegar. It only takes about thirty seconds, which is great if you’re in a rush, and it tastes a damn sight better than plain old tuna. I like to heat this up on the stove, but some people prefer it cold.

My current PC meals are as follows:

Meal 1: oatmeal,scoop of Low Carb GROW!, blueberries, and an orange.

Meal 2: tuna, 100% whole grain bread, spinach, tomatoes. I’ll make this into a sandwich.

Meal 3: chicken breast, mixed veggies, & some beans.

PF meals:

Meal 1: whole egg, egg whites, turkey sausage, mixed veggies, & a tbsp of flaxseed oil.

Meal 2: lean beef, mixed veggies, & some nuts like walnuts.

Meal 3: whole egg, egg whites, mixed veggies, & a tbsp of olive oil.

Alternate PF meal might be just a shake with Low Carb GROW! and a shot of olive oil.

Mixed veggies include carrots, brocoli, green beans, peas, corn, tomatoes, onions, peppers, spinach, lettuce, etc.

I also take around 2 fish oil caps per meal.

I also switch my diet and meal plan around every 2 weeks to avoid bordem and what not.

Hope this helps man.

Check out the “Beyond Oatmeal” Parts 1 & 2 at John Berardi’s site.

Here are a few of my favorites:

Blueberry Oatmeal (P+C)
Ingredients:

1/3 cup steel-cut oats

1/3 cup oat bran

1/2 cup frozen blueberries

1 scoop chocolate or vanilla whey protein powder

Water, as directed

1/2 teaspoon whole flax seeds

1/8 teaspoon salt

Dash of cinnamon (big dash)

Dash of Splenda (big dash)

Instructions:

Add steel cut oats into 2 cups of water at night before you go to bed. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat, cover the pot, and hit the hay.

In the AM, bring the oats to a simmer once again on medium-low heat, adding the salt, cinnamon, flax seeds, and raw oat bran. Continue stirring and simmering for 5 minutes, or until you get the desired thickness. Turn off the heat, then add the frozen blueberries and some Splenda.

Stir until the blueberries are melted, thus cooling the oatmeal and allowing the protein powder to be added. The consistency should be fairly thick, especially after the oat bran has been added and cooked a bit. You might need to add some water in the AM, depending on how much was boiled-off the night before.

Macronutrient Profile:

K/cal - 473

Protein - 37 g

Carbs - 75 g (13 fiber; 15 sugar)

Fat - 9 g (2.1s, 2.1m, 3.9p)

omega-3 - 0.56

omega-6 - 1.05

Smoked Turkey Omelet (P+F)
Ingredients:

1 whole Piglrim’s Pride EggsPlus Egg

5 large regular egg whites

4 oz smoked turkey breast, chopped

Green pepper, 10 strips

1 large slice of onion, chopped

1 slice fat free cheese

Instructions:

Beat the eggs in a bowl while frying the turkey, peppers, and onions in a skillet coated with cooking spray, over medium heat. Put these aside, coat the skillet again with cooking spray, and pour-in the eggs. When bubbles start forming, flip the omelet over, add the slice of cheese and other ingredients, fold over, top with pepper, and enjoy.

Macronutrient Profile:

K/cal - 415

Protein - 63 g

Carbs - 8 g (1 fiber)

Fat - 13 g (3.4s, 5.9m, 2.9p)

omega-3 - 0.3

omega-6 - 2.3

BBQ Chicken and Rice (P+C)
Ingredients:

Chicken breast, grilled, 6 oz. cooked weight, cubed

Brown rice, 1.5 cups cooked

Frozen peas and carrots, ? cup

1 stalk celery, chopped

Red bell pepper, ? medium, chopped

2 tbsp barbecue sauce

Instructions:

Very simple, just stir all of the ingredients together in a pot on medium-low heat, until everything is warm. It can also be nuked.

Macronutrient Profile:

K/cal - 720

Protein - 64 g

Carbs - 86 g (10 fiber; 10 sugar)

Fat - 13 g (3s, 3.1m, 2.5p)

omega-3 - 0.2

omega-6 - 2.2

Polyunsaturated Beef Stew (P+F)

The ingredients and nutritional info below are for one serving, so quadruple the ingredients when you cook it and put the leftovers in the fridge for later.

Ingredients:

6 oz sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
5 baby carrots, halved
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 large celery stalk, chopped
1 cup beef broth (from can or bouillon cubes)
1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
Instructions:

Brown the beef cubes in a nonstick skillet spayed with Pam, just until the outside of the pieces are slightly cooked (inside still raw).
Put beef cubes in a larger pot with the broth, onions, celery and carrots.
Cover and boil over low heat for 30 min to 1 hour.
Stir in the flaxseed oil just before you eat it.
This is one of the only dishes I’ve made that flaxseed oil doesn’t ruin the taste of it when you mix it in.

Macronutrient Profile:

K/cal: 450
Fat: 27 g (5s, 8m, 12p)
Carbs: 10 g (2 fiber)
Protein: 40 g

Salmon Loaf (P+F)
Ingredients:

1 can (16 oz.) pink salmon, canned and boned, save 2 tbsn juice

1 whole egg (EggsPlus), plus 4 regular egg whites, beaten

1/3 cup oat bran

1/3 cup flax meal

1/2 medium onion, chopped

1 tbsn parsely flakes

1/2 tsp dried dill weed

1/2 tsp salt

Dash pepper

Instructions:

Flake salmon; combine with remaining ingredients and put in a loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350? for 45 minutes, or until loaf is firm.

Makes 2 big servings

Macronutrient Profile, per serving:

K/cal - 526

Protein - 61 g

Carbs - 22 g (8 fiber; 4 sugar)

Fat - 23 g (5s, 6.6m, 9.6p)

omega-3 - 7.04

omega-6 - 2.02

Butterscotch Shake (P+F)
Ingredients:

1 scoop chocolate or vanilla whey protein powder

1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese

2 tbsp whole flax seeds, or 4 tbsp flaxseed meal

1/3 cup walnuts

Dash of Splenda

Dash of butterscotch sugar-free instant Jell-O

Instructions:

Put the flax seeds in the blender first, followed by the protein powder, cottage cheese, jell-o mix, Splenda, a handful of ice, and a dash of water. Don’t put the walnuts in yet. Blend for 1-2 minutes, making sure the flax seeds are well ground. Stop the blender, drop-in the walnuts, and blend for 5 seconds, only until they are chopped.

Macronutrient Profile:

K/cal - 402

Protein - 44 g

Carbs - 19 g (8 fiber; 8 sugar)

Fat - 18 g (3.7s, 3.5m, 9.9p)

omega-3 - 5.21

omega-6 - 4.60

Got a good P+F for you, if you can handle a heavy shot of saturated fat in your plan… I was just scrounging through my refrigerator around dinnertime, and I figured I should try to make a good P+F meal out of what I had hanging about.

Take some lean beef, cooked and sliced as previously mentioned, and combine it with shredded pepperoni – sliced pepperoni which you’ve sliced again into thin strips. Add about two ounces of pizza sauce, toss in a handful of shredded mozzarella and/or provolone, and heat until the cheese melts and works its way through the whole mess. Drain the grease before serving, if you like.

End result is a lot like pizza with no crust over chopped steak. Good flavor, and more substance than an actual pizza… but you can’t eat it with your hands. You might want to toss in some olive or flax seed oil once you dish it up, if you’re concerned about balancing fat types; the spices will probably mask any undesirable taste nicely.