Need Overall Help

Hey, I just joined this site after my friend gave me the link. Ive read a couple of articles and they’re very helpful.

Anyway, I wanted to know if you guys could give me a push in the right direction. Im 16, 210 lbs with 30-34% body fat. In a couple of weeks I will start a weight training course in my highschool an I want to get the most out of it.(I also have a small gym in my home so I can work out on weekends)

My primary goal is to lose weight for the summer. Light muscle building while im doing that, mostly abdominals and arms, less for legs. Im on the Rugby team at school so im preety active. Ive started to eat smaler portions, and ive read about the HOT-ROX supplements and will probably get some.

Anyway, if you guys could give me some rough ideas of what to do to achive my goal. Im going to take a picture of myself before I start and the first day of summer and see the differance. Thanks in advace for the help.

Read the pinned thread above nail a SOLID diet and training. Work the whole body if your in Rugby you need to hit the legs hard not so much the arms sure hit them but thye wont do much for your game. Nail a solid program and work your tail off.

Start trining TODAY dont wait for school base it on the BIG lifts pushes pulls leg moves like Bench, OH press chims rows, squats DL’s make them count then do skill workk for your sport.

Read up on that thread and come back with any ?'s

Phill

My advice would be to not waste your money on any ‘supplements’ at this point. Focus on eating clean, 5-6 meals a day, about 200 grams of protein… Make sure that you’re doing cardio maybe 5 times a week at the least for at least a half hour a day and working out with a full-body program maybe 3 times a week.

Of course you might want to search the articles to find a good program for losing fat…both working out and diet-wise.

Don’t aim for building a light amount of muscle. I don’t say this to push the predominant attitude of this site on you, but the fact is building muscle is a hard business. If you aim for light building, you will get nothing. If you aim to build huge slabs, you might be lucky enough to get some moderate gains.

I take it that because you want to primarily lose weight, and the muscle groups that you wish to focus on are arms and abs (and you’re 16), that your goals are foremostly aesthetic. Don’t waste time focusing arms and abs. I did that when I was in your situation, and it was a massive waste of time. Abs are a product of diet, not workout. Try and do big compound exercises that will build as much muscle as possible. More muscle = higher metabolism = greater fat loss. Don’t neglect the legs, they are such a huge muscle group and training them hard with squats will give you a huge metabolic boost.

As for diet, start by getting rid of any soft drinks that you are drinking. Then cut the sugary stuff like chocolate and chips. (You know this stuff, it’s a matter of discipline.) After you get rid of all the dirty calories, then you can look into eating plans. They are all over this site, check out Doc Berardi’s column.

Good luck,

-Cloth

PS Take a pic of yourself now. I regret not doing that at the start.

Thanks, ill do that. I havent been drinking soda and sweets for awhile. My parrents dont buy them, and I dont get em either. Ill takea a pic now and start working out. And you guys are right, Ill make sure to do alot of squats and such.

Forgot to mention this before, but my weight training class is in the morning, 9AM. After that I have vollyball then lunch. Should I work out at luch or no? I could do more cardio or more lifting. And when should I eat my lunch, before or after I work out?

I need to make a meal plan…

[quote]Kieso wrote:
Forgot to mention this before, but my weight training class is in the morning, 9AM. After that I have vollyball then lunch. Should I work out at luch or no? I could do more cardio or more lifting. And when should I eat my lunch, before or after I work out?

I need to make a meal plan…[/quote]

At your current body composition it will be the diet that makes a much bigger impact, not the lifting times. Lift at whichever you can continue more conveniently, but like you said, sort your meal plan out. Post it on here when you’re done.

-Cloth

[quote]Kieso wrote:

I need to make a meal plan…[/quote]

if I understand this correctly, you have a weight training class, i.e. lifting, then volleyball (I’m guessing Phys Ed class?) and then lunch following? Perfect! The best time to eat is directly after exercise, read the beginners thread and you’ll see what I mean.

If you’re playing on the school’s rugby team, I’d focus a lot more on leg strength and power (I’m guessing you’re a prop by your weight/bf% at that age). When’s your season start? If you’re serious about rugby, you probably want to design your training around your season to some degree (i.e. don’t do heavy squat , deadlifts, or hill sprints on match days or the day before).

Legs, got it. So what are some good leg exercises? As for the vollyball, its not phys.ed. Its just vollyball haha. And also,
I dont want to do any exercises that might stunt my groth, since I still have a way to go age wise.

Ive been reading some articles and from what I can find, I was (roughly) thinking:
Morn: Oatmeal, apple and green tea
after weight training: snack, maby beef jerky? (or somthing else, dunno)
Lunch: Usually I have a sandwich made with cold cuts, lettuce and tomatoes. and water to drink. (Ive also heard Peanut butter+eggs is good, true?)
Now, while im here, I should eat after working out right? So during lunch should I work out more on some days (every other day?) then eat after that?
after 3ed period mabye some sort of nut mix?
Dinner: I have no idea, im not in control of this, my mom just makes whatever. But its always healthy, never take out/greasy.

Now, if I wanted to work out more, (since I have a small work out area in my basement) should I do the same as lunch and workout then eat? Since I get home arround 4 and dinner is at 8?

Ill definatly clean this up a little after, but for now, can I get some suggestions?

Here are my current pics:

2:

3:

4?

[quote]Kieso wrote:
Hey, I just joined this site after my friend gave me the link. Ive read a couple of articles and they’re very helpful.

Anyway, I wanted to know if you guys could give me a push in the right direction. Im 16, 210 lbs with 30-34% body fat. In a couple of weeks I will start a weight training course in my highschool an I want to get the most out of it.(I also have a small gym in my home so I can work out on weekends)

My primary goal is to lose weight for the summer. Light muscle building while im doing that, mostly abdominals and arms, less for legs. Im on the Rugby team at school so im preety active. Ive started to eat smaler portions, and ive read about the HOT-ROX supplements and will probably get some.

Anyway, if you guys could give me some rough ideas of what to do to achive my goal. Im going to take a picture of myself before I start and the first day of summer and see the differance. Thanks in advace for the help.[/quote]

yeah.

your goal is to work abbs and biceps do you realy need advice on how to do this? weighted situps lose some fat cut carbs curl shit throw in some kickbacks they will work right in with your routine

At your stage it doesn’t really matter at all what you do. Just lift hard and more importantly, consistently. And pay alot greater attention to your diet.

-Cloth

[quote]Kieso wrote:
Legs, got it. So what are some good leg exercises? [/quote]

Squats, Deadlifts, weighted step-ups, bulgarian split squats, lunge variations, etc.

This is the best time of the day for carbs in addition to your protein. Add a piece of fruit or some natural peanut butter (or both combined).

If you are eating bread, go for whole wheat/multi-grain options. Lean cuts of meat, tuna, grilled chicken, etc. Natural peanut butter, eggs are good.

Working out is good, but don’t burn yourself out. You need to recover at some point. But yes, if you work out first, then you should eat after. Be careful with “some sort of nut mix”, nuts are a great source of calories, and it doesn’t take many to get a lot of cals. Eat in moderation.

Don’t sweat it, if it’s healthy, you’re on the right track, just worry about portion control at this point, especially if you are eating late. Eat more protein, and cut back/eliminate the starchy carbs. Go for vegetables over pasta/rice. If you can influence her, again, go for brown rice/whole wheat pastas, etc. If she knows you are trying to lose fat, she may be supportive and accommodate you.

Again, working out is good, too much will lead to burn out. Don’t repeat what you did for a lift earlier in the day. If you don’t have enough time during the day to get all your lifts in, then split it up into lower body a.m. and upper body p.m. If you have enough time to lift at school, then get outside for a walk or a run in the afternoon. Find a football/rugby field and do some interval work. Sprint across, and then walk back, or jog the length and sprint the width of the field, etc. Then eat afterwards.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck.

Thanks alot! That was really helpful. Ill take your advice on those things. And I think I might just work out at home about 3 times a week, maby more.

Alright, starting the main stuff tomorrow. Ill give you guys an update next sunday on how my week was. Hopefully I can stick to my plan.

Ok. This week. In general, eating went well, workout went well. I could still change eating a bit more. I was having a bit of junk and pop (hotdogs and sprite) when went bowling yesterday.

Ok, so the past while as gone well, ive found my routine.

Breakfast: Oatmeal cereal
Weight training
Snack: Soya Beans
Vollyball
Lunch: Home made deli sandwich. Followed by biking/running for 30 or so mins, then some ab work.
then my other 2 non-activity courses

after I come home some more ab work

How does that sound?