T Nation

Need Opinions....

Hey guys… I need a few opinions about this routine.

Mon – Chest

Dumbbell Bench Press (8-8-8)
Incline Bench Press (8-8-8)
Chest Dip (8-8-8)

Tue – Back

Chin up (8-8)
Underhand Chin up (8-8)
Bent-over Row (8-8-8)
Deadlift (8-8)

Wed – Abs at home on a Swiss Ball

Thu – Shoulders

Front raise (8-8)
Seated Rear Lateral Raise (8-8)
Lateral Raise (8-8)*

*Not the standard Lateral Raise but at the and of the movement the dumbbell is vertical (like you are spilling water from a bottle…)

Fri – Arms

Incline Curl (8-8)
Concentration Curl (8-8)
Close Grip Bench Press (8-8)
Lying Triceps Extension (8-8)*

*I don’t lower the hand next to my head, but across my chest…

Sat – Legs

Leg press (8-8-8)*
Leg extension (8-8-8)
Lunge (8-8)
Standing calf raise (8-8-8)
Seated calf raise (15-15-15)

*I combine 2 sets, on one my feet are close together and on the other they are spread. So its actually 8x8-8x8-8x8…

Before all the sets there are 2 light weight warm-up sets.

I’m wondering should I lower the reps to 6 in all the exercises?? And witch exercises should have a higher number of reps (like the Seated calf raise)??

And in general what do you think od this routine?? Should I change anything??

Thanks

For anyone to really be able to help you, you should include what is you are trying to accomplish.

I can’t offer much advice I havn’t been training for very long, however I know that some people will ask you what you are trying to do.

As a beginner myself I can’t offer too much advice but I would put the deadlift as the first exercise on back day.

I forgot to mention that…

The goal is to gain lean mass over the next ten months, around 20lb…

That’s a good goal to set. It’s going to require some work but it’s definately attainable so you’re not overshooting too far which is good. If anything with hard training and good eating you could expect a bit more in terms of lean mass. At any rate I think your sets and reps are fine; especially if you havn’t even tried them.

You may just naturally grow better with that rep range than a traditional “maximal hypertrophy” range which is in the 30’s to low 40’s. But then you have your german volume training which is 100 reps and some people swear by low set reps…because it works for THEM.

You just have to pick a starting place (an educated one) which it seems like you have and stick with it and see what type of results you get. Don’t do it for a week and think “I’m not a beef cake this shit isn’t working!” I don’t think you will since you already have a long term goal set up, but just try it and see how it goes.

[quote]Cubic Ice wrote:
Hey guys… I need a few opinions about this routine.

Mon – Chest

Dumbbell Bench Press (8-8-8)
Incline Bench Press (8-8-8)
Chest Dip (8-8-8)

Tue – Back

Chin up (8-8)
Underhand Chin up (8-8)
Bent-over Row (8-8-8)
Deadlift (8-8)

Wed – Abs at home on a Swiss Ball

Thu – Shoulders

Front raise (8-8)
Seated Rear Lateral Raise (8-8)
Lateral Raise (8-8)*

*Not the standard Lateral Raise but at the and of the movement the dumbbell is vertical (like you are spilling water from a bottle…)

Fri – Arms

Incline Curl (8-8)
Concentration Curl (8-8)
Close Grip Bench Press (8-8)
Lying Triceps Extension (8-8)*

*I don’t lower the hand next to my head, but across my chest…

Sat – Legs

Leg press (8-8-8)*
Leg extension (8-8-8)
Lunge (8-8)
Standing calf raise (8-8-8)
Seated calf raise (15-15-15)

*I combine 2 sets, on one my feet are close together and on the other they are spread. So its actually 8x8-8x8-8x8…

Before all the sets there are 2 light weight warm-up sets.

I’m wondering should I lower the reps to 6 in all the exercises?? And witch exercises should have a higher number of reps (like the Seated calf raise)??

And in general what do you think od this routine?? Should I change anything??

Thanks[/quote]

Here is what I would add (and take out):

Chest:
-simply get a dip-belt to add more weight.

Back:
-Same thing as the dip for your chin-up and pull-ups.

Abs:
-L.holds
-Ab wheel.

Shoulders:
-Standing military press with dumbell or barbell. (if you don’t have time, then drop the front raise and do this).

Arms:
-Do your curls standing and ur triceps extensions do them standing too.
-Also, when doing dips if you keep your body straight, your triceps will share more of the work. So u can do dips too for your triceps.

Legs:
-I would say drop the leg extensions and leg presses. And do Ass to Grass Back Squats instead. I would also recommend front squats and overhead squats.
-Stiff leg deadlift, Romanian Deadlift, good mornings. (hamstrings & glutes)

I emphasize on standing variations with freeweights because they force your body to use the stability muscles A LOT. AND your abs and obliques will definitely be involved.

Remember
1-go HEAVY,
2-increase your loads
3-Weight on the heels and chest out when squatting.

Don’t keep your legs stiff with deadlifts. Way too much shit involved with them now that people have been fucking up their backs with them for a few decades and are realizing they aren’t safe long term.

Thanks for the help and support guys!!

What do you think about adding behind neck press along with military press?

And about legs, are the exercises that I listed enough to hit the hamstrings so that they don’t fall behind?

[quote]Cubic Ice wrote:

And about legs, are the exercises that I listed enough to hit the hamstrings so that they don’t fall behind?
[/quote]

I wouldn’t add the behind neck press, you are already working anterior delts with mil press and front raises. Unless you really want to look blocky.

How about you do this workout for six months to see how your body reacts to it. Each body part will react differently to the stimulus applied - some will grow fast, some slow, some maybe not at all.

You need to find out how your body works, then make modifications and corrections. I’m willing to wager that in six months your workout will look nothing like it does now. You are off to a good start, so stop putting a program together and just work out.

Good Luck.

[quote]Cubic Ice wrote:

[/quote]

hum… u don’t really need to for now. U could, however, do them a few weeks later to bring some variety to ur workout.