T Nation

Need New Routine

Ok first post.

Hey guys I get a little indecisive when it comes to making a new routine so I need some assistance here. For starters I’m right about 6’2, 189lbs (not sure what my body fat is, it’s not that high) 19 years old.

My diet is decent I could use some pointers on this also, I do a decent job I think but I have my crashes here and there.

Well what I do (which I think most people actually do it might vary on location)I built in the fall/winter and cut down a little bit in the spring/summer but still try to gain a little mass.

Here are the routines I’ve gone through since late this passed fall.

Monday/Thursday: Chest/Shoulders
Flat bench: 10-8-6 (a wide grip so it would require less tris)
Incline bench: 10-8-6
Sitting barbell military presses: 10-8-6
Lateral raises: 3x10
Reverse pec-deck fly: 3x15

Tuesday/Friday: Back/Arms
Lat pull downs: a bunch of warm ups and about 3 heavy sets
T-bar row: 3x10
Preacher curl machine: 10-8-6, 2 sets of negatives
Close grip: 8-12-30
Standing barbell curls: 12-10-8
A-Bar: 12-10-8

Wednesday: Legs
You know the drill…
Squats
Lunges
some isos

I kept the same schedule just switching around work outs for a while and got great results and finally moving onto a schedule a friend of mine had given me which worked well but I didn’t like it too much.

Monday:
Flat bench: 12-8-5-3
Incline dumbbell: 12-8-5-3
Militaries
Weighted dips
Pull ups

Tuesday: Hamstring dominant
Deadlifts: 8-4-4-2
Straight leg deadlift: 3x10
Glute ham raise: 15-12-10-8
Leg curls: 2x10

Thursday:
Bench: 3x5
Weighted Pull ups: 12-8-8-5
Seated cable: 3x10
Shrugs: 3x8-10
Curl variations (like 5 sets total)

Friday: Quad dominant
Squats: 10-8-8-5-5
Lunges: 3x10
Some isos

Again it worked alright, didn’t like it much, I improved my benching fairly well but I couldn’t get my back sore.

Then recently I moved on to 1 body part a day which I’m kind of iffy about and I Have actually fallen a little bit behind on my benching which kind of pisses me off.

Monday: Chest
Flat Bench:10-8-6
Incline db: 10-8-6
Pec-deck fly: 3x10
Cable Cross over: 10-8-8-5
Weighted dips: 2 sets

Tuesday: Back
Wide pull downs: few warm ups 3-4 heavy sets
1 arm db row: 10-8-6
Straight arm pull down: 3x10
Straight Leg Deadlift: 3x8
Easy curl bar preacher curl: 12-10-8
Cable Curls: 3x8

Thursday: Shoulders
Seated Barbell press: 10-8-6
Lateral raises: 3x10
Front db raise: 12-10-8
Reverse Pec-dec fly: 3x10

Friday: Arms
Barbell curl
Close grip
Hammer curl
Behind the head
Cable curl
Rope
db curl
reverse grip

I’m iffy about the 1 body part a day schedule. I’m pretty good overall I’d say, but my strongest and most define part is definitely my back. I want to gain more mass on my arms while not falling behind on anything else. The main purpose besides gaining mass on my arms is staying lean. I am lean and I’d actually like to build more definition on my abs, you can see the 8 “blocks” and what not but I’d like to make the stick out further and be more define. I know being lean is mainly diet but still.

Thanks a lot in advance guys.

search for “starting strength” on bodybuilding.com, you should start there.

The 1 body part a day routines are usually advanced/intermediate sessions. This is due to the fact the trainee is able to focus on one bodypart for the duration of the whole workout, intene and lots of volume.

Same links from me i think…:

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/how_to_design_a_damn_good_program_part_2&cr=

This is the second page of how to design a damn good program, the first part is linked on the page. it is an amazing template you would do well to study thoroughly.

I could link you to dozens of programs but i honestly think if you are able to make your own because you truly know what is best for you, then you should. Is that the case, or do you just know how to throw a program together with no real thought? Not a put down, need to know to advise properly…! :wink:

Joe

As an intermediate lifter, Try Madcow 5x5, I’m in the middle of this program and can’t say enough good things about it. It will kick you up a level with your strength. There is a geocities website (which I can’t find or I’d post it) that has you plug your 5rm into an Excel spreadsheet and gives you every set rep weight. I love it.

Thanks a lot guys. Actually I tried the strength and 5x5 stuff before I started building so, maybe I’ll do another session of it. 1 Last question, I hear so many people say different things. How often should I change my routine? Of course because of muscle confusion and what not, and because your body gets too used to it, but how often? Every month, 2 months? What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

[quote]Mishimaster wrote:
Thanks a lot guys. Actually I tried the strength and 5x5 stuff before I started building so, maybe I’ll do another session of it. 1 Last question, I hear so many people say different things. How often should I change my routine? Of course because of muscle confusion and what not, and because your body gets too used to it, but how often? Every month, 2 months? What do you guys recommend? Thanks![/quote]

When you stop making gains, or stagnate for several weeks. I equate gains in terms of strength - are you increasing weight or reps with your exercises? When does this occur? Very individualized. Everyone adapts to stresses differently. I’ve been able to stay on the same program for several months while having constant improvements.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
Mishimaster wrote:
Thanks a lot guys. Actually I tried the strength and 5x5 stuff before I started building so, maybe I’ll do another session of it. 1 Last question, I hear so many people say different things. How often should I change my routine? Of course because of muscle confusion and what not, and because your body gets too used to it, but how often? Every month, 2 months? What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

When you stop making gains, or stagnate for several weeks. I equate gains in terms of strength - are you increasing weight or reps with your exercises? When does this occur? Very individualized. Everyone adapts to stresses differently. I’ve been able to stay on the same program for several months while having constant improvements. [/quote]

Ok here is how I go about it. You see how I have the 10-8-6 routine for pretty much everything? So for example let’s say I’m benching, I do my set of 10 my set of 8 and on my set of 6, if I do 7, I raise my final set by 5 lbs, if I get 8 I raise all sets by 5 lbs and so on.