T Nation

Need More Polyunsaturated Fats

Berardi suggests a split among sat/mono/poly fats. my sat and mono are easily even, but my poly is desperately lagging behind, even when taking fish oil. How do i get in extra poly?

• Flax Seed (milled / oil)
  • Vegetable oils
  • Most nuts

Hemp seed oil, FTW.

[quote]Joris wrote:

• Olive oil, just drink a few tablespoons a day
    [/quote]

You sure about that one? Last time I read a label I could’ve sworn the fat was mostly if not all monounsaturated.

OP: eat some walnuts. They’re loaded with polyunsaturated fats.

You’re right about the olive oil I misread the label

hemp seed oil! ive only heard Berardi use it and in other articles. do you take it directly or throw it in food/cook with it?

Copious amounts of almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin eeeds, etc.

almonds are mostly mono, but thanks for suggesting sunflower and pumpkin. you eat them by itself, the milled kind right?
1 cup of milled seeds is 1200 cals!

Avocado has about 4 grams a cup.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
OP: eat some walnuts. They’re loaded with polyunsaturated fats.[/quote]

No doubt. Get in enough fish oil and walnuts and your polys will be heavily biased towards those lovely omega 3s.

I was facing the same issue too, since I was eating a healthy amount of natty peanut butter, along with my flax seeds and fish oil.
To fix this, I’m eating walnuts and I just picked up some sunflower butter (replacement for the natty pb).

Flax oil, too.

I think you need to balance the poly fats, sunflower and pumpkin seeds have almost no “omega 3’s” which is why Berardi advocates high doses of Fish oils.

the american diet (who am i to say just america anyway…? you seen the impact of fast foods on japanese who used to live off high levels of omega 3).

They say u SHOULD try to get a ratio of 1:1 of omega 3’s and 6’s. Somwhere i read, Udo? managed to actually get a OMEGA 6 Deficiency, which was kinda bad as well.

Right now I have a long class - roughly four hours - so I take a shaker with 2 scoops protein powder and 1 Tbsp hemp seed oil and shake it half way through class. Works great.

I mix in 1 Tbsp hemp seed oil with my 1/2 c oats every morning, too.

yeah i was worried about omega 3/6 imbalance, but i have no way to measure 3s and 6s since fitday doesnt track them. i take about 14g fish oil (300mg epa/dha each) already but that amounts to maybe 6g poly? Bleh.

Whats the 3/6 ratio for walnuts?

Walnuts provide some 3’s but still more 6 I beileve, so eating them is not really helping your ratio.

Just be sure to eat some salmon, take fish oil and eat flax meal. If you do this you’ll be fine.

[quote]kickureface wrote:
yeah i was worried about omega 3/6 imbalance, but i have no way to measure 3s and 6s since fitday doesnt track them. i take about 14g fish oil (300mg epa/dha each) already but that amounts to maybe 6g poly? Bleh.

Whats the 3/6 ratio for walnuts?[/quote]

try nutritiondata.com, they list omega 3 and 6 content for their serving sizes for all the whole foods including all nuts and seeds

for walnuts i believe the 6:3 ratio is about 4:1

There is a article on here by Berardi (i think), and it goes into quite a bit of detail about the balancing.

they even gave some example, like eating salmon, walnuts, and fish oils even but still remaining in an unbalance.