Need More Pep Before Workout

I know warups are probably the recommended way by pros, but im scarred that i will burn too much energy. i have a naturally slow metabolism compared to most as it is. you would think a desk job would conserve energy, but it sure doesnt feel like it. i will probably try most of the recommendations and see which one effects me the best.

[quote]WeaponX wrote:
I know warups are probably the recommended way by pros, but im scarred that i will burn too much energy. i have a naturally slow metabolism compared to most as it is. you would think a desk job would conserve energy, but it sure doesnt feel like it. i will probably try most of the recommendations and see which one effects me the best.[/quote]

if a five minute warm up wastes all of your energy, going to the gym is pointless.

maybe you just need to add cardio sessions. they will give you cardiovascular endurance which often translates in to more energy.

[quote]WeaponX wrote:
I know warups are probably the recommended way by pros, but im scarred that i will burn too much energy. i have a naturally slow metabolism compared to most as it is. you would think a desk job would conserve energy, but it sure doesnt feel like it. i will probably try most of the recommendations and see which one effects me the best.[/quote]

Wow. The logic here is just mind-blowing. You have a “slow metabolism” and therefore avoid trying to increase it with a brisk warmup? Huh?

I think you’d better re-analyze your workout format before trying to find a magic supplement to energize you. Try doing some mobility work, followed by throwing some kettleballs around or doing a round of complexes before your workout. If you are tired and can’t get a good workout, that just means you need to keep doing it until your overall fitness level gets up to par.

Good luck.

Anyone ever try ammonia caps before a big set.

You also might be overtrained a bit. Sometimes if I take some time off and heal up I can hit the weights harder when I get back. Also you might just have to eat more especially some carbs before your workout. In fact sipping on a carb drink during your workout does wonders for energy levels.

Hagar,

Not to argue with you, but I’d have to see that report to agree that SBux has 30% more caf. than the competitors. And I’d like to know what gas stations use Arabica beans. I need to go there, lol.

Also, Starbucks isn’t brewed ‘stronger’, the beans are just roasted longer, which yields the bolder taste and color.

[quote]kevinlee wrote:
Hagar,

Not to argue with you, but I’d have to see that report to agree that SBux has 30% more caf. than the competitors. And I’d like to know what gas stations use Arabica beans. I need to go there, lol.

Also, Starbucks isn’t brewed ‘stronger’, the beans are just roasted longer, which yields the bolder taste and color.[/quote]

Depends on the blend. Breakfast roast is no where near french roast. starbucks uses a very specific amount per brew which helps give it a bolder taste and caffine content. If you want the most bang for your buck you should french press your coffee. You get more of the oils out plus as a side note a french press is only $11 or so.

[quote]kevinlee wrote:
Hagar,

Also, Starbucks isn’t brewed ‘stronger’, the beans are just roasted longer, which yields the bolder taste and color.[/quote]

You guys in Mississippi probably aren’t as picky about coffee as us Californians. Here lots of gas stations serve Arabica. I remember where I saw that study but I know I saw it for sure. It might of been on the news.

This should settle this argument once and for all. Starbucks has 56% more caffeine than gas station coffee. http://www.click2houston.com/health/3005271/detail.html

[quote]Hagar wrote:
Anyone ever try ammonia caps before a big set. [/quote]

no, but an adderall before a training session can be super.

[quote]kevinlee wrote:
Hagar,

one of the reason starbucks sucks…
Dark roast simply means that the coffee bean has been roasted to a higher temperature and typically for a longer period of time. This causes all of the flavor molecules stored within the coffee beans both the good and bad flavors to be burnt away. By roasting so dark, the end consumer (you) can’t tell whether it’s a good bean or a bad bean because all the natural flavors have been turned to charcoal.

coffee bean is better and has been out longer than starbucks.

But I prefer to make my own I go with a light roast better flavor and more caffine. Since I usually work on average 60-70 hrs a week. Coffee is what gets me going 30 to 45 mins before I hit the gym.

[quote]Mad Titan wrote:
kevinlee wrote:
Hagar,

Also, Starbucks isn’t brewed ‘stronger’, the beans are just roasted longer, which yields the bolder taste and color.

one of the reason starbucks sucks…
Dark roast simply means that the coffee bean has been roasted to a higher temperature and typically for a longer period of time. This causes all of the flavor molecules stored within the coffee beans both the good and bad flavors to be burnt away. By roasting so dark, the end consumer (you) can’t tell whether it’s a good bean or a bad bean because all the natural flavors have been turned to charcoal.

coffee bean is better and has been out longer than starbucks.

But I prefer to make my own I go with a light roast better flavor and more caffine. Since I usually work on average 60-70 hrs a week. Coffee is what gets me going 30 to 45 mins before I hit the gym.
[/quote]

Not every bean from starbucks is roasted more. For example their Ethiopian Yergacheffe (my 2nd fav and the origin of all coffee) is properly roasted. I’ve bought several times it from other places and had the beans over roasted ie Trader Joes brand. Personally I love starbucks. I can always rely on the quality where ever I am.
My fav brand off bean would be allegro from Wholefoods although I got bag a Kona Peaberry from Hawaii that ruled. When I lived in Minnesota, the Wholefoods down the street fresh roasted beans in store it to perfection. Caribou Coffee also really kicks ass also but they don’t have them in Cali.

Back to the original subject:

At the risk of being flamed, my pre-workout drink is often a Starbucks Frappuccino drink. You’ve got carbs, protein & caffine. I sometimes add a little protein powder to up the protein.

That gives me a bit of workout energy after a day at the computer.

[quote]derek wrote:
L-Tyrosine?[/quote]

Ditto, and I don’t know my head from my arse. Take the recommended dose 30-60 minutes before your workout. Oh yeah, a cup or two of coffee wouldn’t hurt either. Just go easy on the cream and artificial sweetner. Nix 'em altogether if you can stomach it.

Actually, not to argue, but in their standard brewers, they all use the 9 oz portions, regardless of the roast.

But you’re right about the french press. I actually prefer my coffee that way. Leave in the oils, much bolder taste.

Yes, that is probably right. Hell, we just started getting Starbucks around here anyway. Two years ago, nobody ever heard of them. Now, there’s probably at least ten in the Jackson Metro area.

Most gas stations serve folgers and similar shit.

Frappucino has protein in it?

[quote]kevinlee wrote:
Frappucino has protein in it? [/quote]

According to the Starbucks Web site, the grande nonfat Cafe Latte has 16 grams of protein, 45 percent of the US RDA of calcium and only 160 calories. This might be a good substitute for the frappucino drinkers out there.

For example, a grande mocha frappucino blended coffee has only six grams of protein but a whopping 15 grams of fat and 380 total calories. Perhaps there’s a frappucino with a better nutritional make-up?

The other downside of coffee, in general, other than its often unrealized amount of calories, is that it drains water from our bodies. Water’s crucial for fat loss and muscle building, and for every serving of caffeine (especially coffee), you have to drink twice as much water to make up for it.

I drink two cups of home brew (1-2 tbs of cream and 1-2 Equal packets) about an hour after breakfast, which is also about an hour before I hit the gym. I also supplement with L-Tyrosine, an energy amino acid, and altogether, I seem to have an appropriate amount of energy in the gym.