T Nation

Need More Pep Before Workout

I stare at the PC screen all day and this has always made me feel tired. I do this 8-5 then workout out when I get home. This sucks because I cannot put my best effort in when I feel drained.

I have read articles where trainers would drink a cup of coffee or two an hour or so before their workout back in the day. I am considering this, like a cold coffee drink, instead of a stimulant like Spike. I know i am a cheapskate. Does anyone see this as a working solution, or have another idea?

I sleep as much as possible (8 hours), and eat right.

You may want to try Power Drive. I’ve had great success with it. It gives me focus without the jitters of other stimulants.

When I need a real kick in the arse I go with Ultimate Orange. It has stimulants and helps me focus, plus it has protein for pre-workout. I got it on sale for less than $20. Tastes like ass though.

L-Tyrosine?

[quote]WeaponX wrote:
I stare at the PC screen all day and this has always made me feel tired. I do this 8-5 then workout out when I get home. This sucks because I cannot put my best effort in when I feel drained.

I have read articles where trainers would drink a cup of coffee or two an hour or so before their workout back in the day. I am considering this, like a cold coffee drink, instead of a stimulant like Spike. I know i am a cheapskate. Does anyone see this as a working solution, or have another idea?

I sleep as much as possible (8 hours), and eat right.[/quote]

Being a cheapskate and not buying Spike are not related in my opinion. I have a limited budget and Spike is pretty cheap. It could also me just a mental issue or your nutrition. I convinced myself of the same thing before but I found my nutrition to be more of the problem.

Ephedra and a big cup of coffee. Starbucks has more kick than gas station coffee.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
You may want to try Power Drive. I’ve had great success with it. It gives me focus without the jitters of other stimulants.

When I need a real kick in the arse I go with Ultimate Orange. It has stimulants and helps me focus, plus it has protein for pre-workout. I got it on sale for less than $20. Tastes like ass though.
[/quote]

You ever try the old Ultimate Orange? That was the best stuff ever to get you fired up for a work out.

Try working out in the morning if possible.

-dizzle

Loud angry music.

Actually, quality coffee like that found at Starbucks is made from more quality beans (arabica) while the gas station shit is made from Robusta beans, which are lower in quality. Believe it or not, the crappier coffee from robusta beans has more caffeine

Im going to go a different direction than the other guys have so far. I go to a college where we literally use a laptop for every class so i am on it all the time, all day. Using a laptop this much i could tell it drained my energy. I am a big advocate of alternative health and have read about how all the electro magnetic chaos we encounter during the day can really have negative effects on our energy and health.

Anyways, i found this site where they sell these pendants you wear around your neck and they have these effects on you:

The Q-Link strengthens your resistance to the effects of stress

Increases energy and enhances mental performance especially under stress

Strengthens immunities to cell phones, computers, and other Electromagnetic Fields (EMF)

I know it sounds a little far out there right away but I personally use one and I noticed a big difference right away. Being on the computer definitely doesnt drain my energy and I feel more mentally alert.

Anyways, just thought id throw a different approach in there.

Sorry I forgot the link:

[quote]kevinlee wrote:
Actually, quality coffee like that found at Starbucks is made from more quality beans (arabica) while the gas station shit is made from Robusta beans, which are lower in quality. Believe it or not, the crappier coffee from robusta beans has more caffeine[/quote]

Studies have shown Stabucks coffee has 30% more caffine than most other coffees. I’ve heard the same thing about robusta beans and all starbucks is arabica but so is most gas station coffee. 75% of the worlds coffee is arabica.
I’ve drank enough coffee to realize I get way more jacked on starbucks than gas station. Also most Starbucks is brewed stronger than gas station coffee.

Thanks for everyone’s replies. I’ve been drinking coffee every morning since I was 21. Did you know 21 is the minimum drinking age for coffee in alabama? Just joking.

I pay close attention and try to get alot of complex carbs early in the morning and sleep as much as possible. I used to drive a forklift in a non-airconditioned warehouse for 10 hours a day.

I would feel more energetic after that 10 hour shift of sweating and physical activity compared to now where all I do is sit and stare at the screen. You would think it would be the other way around right?

I’ve been looking into cold coffee drinks I can make from home with my left over pot in the morning. I experimented yesterday with it, and used too much milk because I wasnt paying attention. Milk personally makes me feel bloated and fat even though it’s “fat free”. I used splenda and whey to sweeten. I am going to experiment more with it trying to sub water in for the milk.

Isnt spike like $1 or more a pill?

[quote]WeaponX wrote:
Isnt spike like $1 or more a pill?[/quote]

16 pills for $9.99, so per use depends on how many you need.

If you drink coffee every morning, it won’t give you the same effect. If you eliminate it for about a week, you’ll start to get a kick again.

But based on your comment of your previous job, I don’t think coffee is the answer. I’d go with a vigorous warmup (yes I just agreed with Texasguy, kidding).

Check out some of Dan John’s articles where he discusses warm-ups, I think the title said something about PVC pipes.

Basically the warm-up involves farmer’s walks, waiter walks, overhead squats (this was just the PVC pipe), and some other stuff. It takes about 10-15 minutes but works very well. I’ve also found it to be great if your joints are bothering you.

Try it out.

[quote]Hagar wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:

You ever try the old Ultimate Orange? That was the best stuff ever to get you fired up for a work out.[/quote]

Yea too bad they can’t make it anymore
:frowning:

Oh btw I used to work for starbucks awhile back. The grande size coffee has 300mg of caffine if I recall correctly.

Try your coffee black for a while - you grow to prefer it and it’s so much easier when people in the office won’t replace the milk!

Also, drink as little of it as possible when you’re not training. If you never drink coffee except before training you’ll be amazed at the kick you get off of a single cup.

Another technique is to build up to something fast and cardiovascularly tough in the gym to get you pumped before you hit your main sets. Sometimes I’ll do hybrid lifts (e.g. the bear) working up the weight as a warm-up because it justs gets you into the right zone for lifting, whereas some other, easier exercises (e.g. seated calf raises with long rest periods) will never snap you out of your office glaze.

I use nox shotgun and power edge energy drink mix (from walmart) mixed with a gatoraide and to tell you the truth it really gets you going>
best workouts ive had

[quote]kevinlee wrote:
Actually, quality coffee like that found at Starbucks is made from more quality beans (arabica) while the gas station shit is made from Robusta beans, which are lower in quality. Believe it or not, the crappier coffee from robusta beans has more caffeine[/quote]

yep. i read a report that found Dunkin Donuts coffee is the strongest you can buy.

i think it’s like $.69 per cup.

of course, you could brew your own folgers with five table spoons per cup and walk around on the verge of a heart attack all day.

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:
Im going to go a different direction than the other guys have so far. I go to a college where we literally use a laptop for every class so i am on it all the time, all day. Using a laptop this much i could tell it drained my energy. I am a big advocate of alternative health and have read about how all the electro magnetic chaos we encounter during the day can really have negative effects on our energy and health.

Anyways, i found this site where they sell these pendants you wear around your neck and they have these effects on you:

The Q-Link strengthens your resistance to the effects of stress

Increases energy and enhances mental performance especially under stress

Strengthens immunities to cell phones, computers, and other Electromagnetic Fields (EMF)

I know it sounds a little far out there right away but I personally use one and I noticed a big difference right away. Being on the computer definitely doesnt drain my energy and I feel more mentally alert.

Anyways, just thought id throw a different approach in there.[/quote]

“immunity” to cell phones?

they are not viruses. I guess you could wear a tin hat to block the frequenices but that would be a little extreme.

i call bs on a cell phone “vaccine”.

placebo effects can be pretty incredible.

it seems my post has disappeared?

As ruggerlife alluded to my original post, warm ups are great. they are a natural way to raise your heart rate which is basically what stimulants (energy drinks, coffee etc.) do.

if you really need a stimulant, coffee is fine and is the cheapest route.

it’s active ingredient is caffeine, the same as most effective energy drinks.

you’ll get the same effects and side effects.

if coffee doesn’t give you a pep after a while, neither will an energy drink.

caffeine is caffeine regardless of it’s source.

it will still stimulate your CNS after the alert feeling subsides though, you will just be used to it.

it’s like alcohol. when you first start drinking, 5 beers got you all bamboozled.

if you are a drinker, five beers will wet your mouth a little and you’ll function fine, but your blood/alcohol content will be the same, your reaction times will be delayed the same (you just won’t notice it as much because you learn to compensate) and your breath will register the same if the police get you.

caffeine is the same but a stimulant rather than a depressant.