Need MORE Leg Seperation

ok for you bodybuilders out there, do you have any crazy exercises to help bring out some seperation in my quads? I’ve managed to add a good amount of muscle from my last show, and am approaching the time to change up my diet and training to look better on stage in december.

I have a few things in mind, but quad seperation is one of the things I want to improve on for my next show.

Any Ideas?

Thanks guys.

DG

deep tissue massages and sissy squats :stuck_out_tongue:

DG, extreme stretch those quads after your workout to the point of pain(good pain) and see what happens for you.

I say the fascial stretching and proper exercise choice.

This comes from CT …

Its also the correct exercise selection. If you are quad dominant, then perform exercises that target the glutes and quads more equally (lunges, back squats, leg presses).

If you are glute dominant, then perform leg extensions, front squats, sissy squats.

standard donkey: thanks I’ll need to add some deep tissue work…when I can afford it. Food bill is through the roof! lol

Scott: thanks man I’ll start doing that, follow the DC stretches for quads i take it?

Bricknyce: I think you’ve brought to my attention another of the problems. I’m very quad dominant. I’ve been putting a lot of work into my hams and glutes because I didn’t even knew they existed before this year. lol My exercise selection closer to my shows has been for a glute dominant person, when I’m quad dominant. Thanks for the info man.

DG

I was unaware that the degree of one’s quad separation was something that could be manipulated. I guess I always, incorrectly, assumed it was a genetic thing where some people had better separation than others and there was little to be done about it. I learn something new every day on this site.

[quote]jstines wrote:
I was unaware that the degree of one’s quad separation was something that could be manipulated. I guess I always, incorrectly, assumed it was a genetic thing where some people had better separation than others and there was little to be done about it. I learn something new every day on this site. [/quote]

Diet is key first off. It’s kind of like with abs. More seperation can occur through training. To the average joe, maybe not that much, but to a competitive bodybuilder striving for perfection…well you get my point :wink: lol

what does your leg routine look like now gerdy?

[quote]crod266 wrote:
what does your leg routine look like now gerdy?[/quote]

It varies

Last leg workout:

2x25, 2x50 leg extensions (mostly warm up and pre-exhaust)
4x12-15 leg press

4x12-15 front squats (If I’m doing regular squats I’ll do them in place of these last two exercises)

strip set to failure on hack squat

stiff-legged deads/or ham curls superset with weighted lunges usually in the 12-15 rep range.

DC calves on varied machines.

It varies tho. I hardly go below eight reps on legs, I feel they get hammered more and grow better when doing high volume. Sometimes my routine is completely different, usually always has some form of squat or press, the hack is my favorite finisher. Sometimes I throw exotic stuff in too. lol

DG

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
crod266 wrote:

It varies

Last leg workout:

4x12-15 leg press

4x12-15 front squats (If I’m doing regular squats I’ll do them in place of these last two exercises)

stiff-legged deads/or ham curls superset with weighted lunges usually in the 12-15 rep range.

It varies tho. I hardly go below eight reps on legs, I feel they get hammered more and grow better when doing high volume. Sometimes my routine is completely different, usually always has some form of squat or press, the hack is my favorite finisher. Sometimes I throw exotic stuff in too. lol

DG

[/quote]

you could always try what someone said about and put in some sisszy squats. Also have you tried the hack squat with feet in diff postions or leg extensions with the feet pointed dffrent ways? thoe two things might be worth a try.

[quote]crod266 wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:
crod266 wrote:

It varies

Last leg workout:

4x12-15 leg press

DG

you could always try what someone said about and put in some sisszy squats. Also have you tried the hack squat with feet in diff postions or leg extensions with the feet pointed dffrent ways? thoe two things might be worth a try.[/quote]

Thanks man, I will try and add the sissy squats since they are something I haven’t done much of. On the hack and leg extensions I do use different positions. On the hack I do perform a sissy style squat where you place the toes high on the platform and raise your butt/back until it is paralell to the floor, go down slowly and use high reps. It’s a killer and something I’ll probably focus real hard on here shortly. I have a few friends with decent legs that give that exercise the credit for them.

DG

Finding the right exercises are key, but always remember to include subtle variations on those exercises. These can open neural pathways to new growth.

For example: include multi-directional lunges and not just straight lunges, rotate feet placement and angle on leg presses…

Small changes, big results.

[quote]ovalpline wrote:
Finding the right exercises are key, but always remember to include subtle variations on those exercises. These can open neural pathways to new growth.

For example: include multi-directional lunges and not just straight lunges, rotate feet placement and angle on leg presses…

Small changes, big results.[/quote]

thanks man, this is something I try and do just because I never like to do the same exercises over and over again. I like variation.

I do think that I can switch things up a bit more tho, I know my lunges have all been the same, my rotation of feet placement usualy consists of narrow/wide or toes in/out…other than that not much variation besides just different exercises/machines.

Thanks ovalpine.

DG

if im not mistaken, you do not exactly want to add much variation to foot placement while performing lunges, as doing so could lead to injuries…it is one of those sorts of things which you must be precise about

edit:
err…i suppose he meant side lunges etc…

nevermind haha

oh and regarding the deep tissue massages, i am confident there is a considerable amount of work which you could perform yourself on your muscles with say…a golf ball or something

id do more research on it cause i know how hefty those bills can be

I was in a similar position ie wanting more seperation and i included in my workout a 3 position leg press i think CT has in one of his programs you do 8 normal reps, 8 turn toes out 8 toes turned in, all succesive for 24 repsx3-4 sets. its a killer

DG
When looking for seperation I focus more on time under tension and squeezing the muscle until it feels like it will pop off the bone. I think the best way to acheive great seperation is flexing your quads all day long. This is of course assuming the diet, strength training and cardio is all in order. That means anytime you are standing, taking a shower, at work, watching tv, taking a shit all day long flex until you can no longer stand it and then flex some more.

[quote]zaydadog wrote:
DG
When looking for seperation I focus more on time under tension and squeezing the muscle until it feels like it will pop off the bone. I think the best way to acheive great seperation is flexing your quads all day long. This is of course assuming the diet, strength training and cardio is all in order. That means anytime you are standing, taking a shower, at work, watching tv, taking a shit all day long flex until you can no longer stand it and then flex some more.
[/quote]

I’ve always flexed in between sets, but never just throughout the day unless I was messing around.

I like this idea, I’ll give it a shot.

thanks man

DG

[quote]Arnold_fan wrote:
I was in a similar position ie wanting more seperation and i included in my workout a 3 position leg press i think CT has in one of his programs you do 8 normal reps, 8 turn toes out 8 toes turned in, all succesive for 24 repsx3-4 sets. its a killer [/quote]

I’ll give it a shot, thanks man.

DG

I’m with scott and bricknyce.
You won’t regret extreme-stretching your quads…

Imo quads, chest, lats and tris are the areas where extreme-stretching really makes quite a visual difference. For the other bodyparts, it does less for me as far as looks go, but helps in recovery big time.

I wish you success with whatever you’ll end up doing.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
I’m with scott and bricknyce.
You won’t regret extreme-stretching your quads…

Imo quads, chest, lats and tris are the areas where extreme-stretching really makes quite a visual difference. For the other bodyparts, it does less for me as far as looks go, but helps in recovery big time.

I wish you success with whatever you’ll end up doing.

[/quote]

Thanks CC, we will see if I have any success come december. Thats when my next show is. Right now I’m already 12lbs heavier than I was last time I started leaning out for the show :slight_smile: I’m excited.

DG