T Nation

Need More Calories

This is the meal plan I've been following now for about 3 months. It has sufficed but I'm sure it's not optimal. I should be getting 3800 calories to keep up with my activity. (I train for Jeet Kune Do 6 days a week, 1-2 hours a day. Sun/ Tue/ Thur: skill training, strength training, core training, plyometrics
Mon/ Wed/ Thur: skill training/ anaerobic training.)

6 AM
omelet (1 egg; 3 oz liquid egg whites; handful of spinach; 2 tbsp part-skim mozzarella); oatmeal (1 cup, dry; 1 tbsp flaxseed meal; 1 tbsp honey); 1 large banana; and green tea (sweetened w/ stevia)

9 AM (Post-Workout)
protein shake (1 cup; 1/2 cup water; 1/2 a banana; 1/2 cup blueberries; 1 scoop Whey)

11 AM
sandwich (4 oz tuna or turkey breast; 1 slice mozzarella; 2 slices whole-grain bread; tomato; spinach; 2 tsp deli mustard); 1 apple

2 PM
yogurt (Stonyfield, fat free); 1 large banana

4 PM
raisins (1 box) and almonds (1 oz, whole/ raw)

6 PM
4 oz chicken breast, turkey breast, salmon, top round sirloin, or lean ground beef; 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil; 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup whole wheat pasta, or an 8 oz sweet potato; 2 cups green veggies

8 PM
1 apple and almonds (1/2 oz)

10:30 PM
1 cup cottage cheese (no-salt-added, 1%) mixed with 1 tbsp whole-fruit jelly and 1/2 oz almonds

I'm 5'7, 130Lbs @ 3.3% BF, and 19 years old. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Not sure if this is a serious post or not...

I don't see what your question is. You say you need more calories? Have you tried increasing calories?

3.3% BF? Is that a typo? If not, how was it measured? That seems very suspect to me. Even if it is indeed true, that level of BF can not be very healthy if sustained for long periods of time.

Chris

One egg? Try 6 or 7.

I didnt see any milk in your diet. Instead of using water in your shakes, use whole milk. Shit, drink a carton of whole milk during the morning. Take it with you to class or whatever the hell you do. Its an extra 1200 calories.

For your 6 pm meal, make it 8 or 12 oz of whatever meat you plan on eating.

This is a very simple problem to solve. All you have to do its EAT MORE.

Alot of calorie dense foods are: oils, take a shot of olive oil a few times a day. Can easily add 500 calories.

Peanut butter, whole milk, walnuts.

This guy is anorexic. 130lbs? His breakfast is an egg? There are too many people like this logging in lately.

Try eating more than one egg in your omelette.
For lunch, instead of one sandwich, try TWO!
Guzzle some milk.
It's not rocket science, guy.

Add some peanut butter. 4 Tbs. natural peanut butter = 420 calories, mainly from healthy fat.

Not enough protein.

For your weight you need to be taking in at least 200 grams a day. (more, if you're trying to gain)

Not sure you're aware, but right now you are taking in between 130-150, about 75% of where you should be.

Every meal you have should have a real, direct source of protein. Yes, nuts and yogurt have a little protein, but not enough. It seems like 3 or 4 of your meals don't have a direct protein source.

Add a can of tuna to two of those meals and perhaps 4 hardboiled eggs to another.

Or another protein shake....etc...you get the idea.

I prefer "Manorexic." But yes, I agree. One egg...come on now! Eat boy, eat! I am not even close to big, but I know that if you are not eating, you are not growing!

How the hell do you make a one egg omelette?

If you need more calories, eat some more damn food. It's pretty simple. I am confused by this thread.

Bullshit. At a weight of 130lbs, this guy's main concern should be overall calories and there is no reason why someone weighing 130lbs needs 200gr of protein or more as a priority over calories.

It is NOT a one-egg omelette, it is one egg AND 3oz of egg whites.

Dude, were you born premature?? (this is a serious question). Quite a few people who were born premature have undeveloped fat tissue - basically, almost impossible to get fat. Have you ever, EVER had any fat on you? And do you know if you were born premature? If so then muscle building might be your only way to put on weight, but it might be a bit harder than normal. I've known a few people like this, usually they are envied because they can eat any old rubbish and never get fat.

In that case just adding more food probably won't help much. Does anyone here know ANY big bodybuilders who were also born premature?

If the above is not the case, then I'd recommend getting a checkup because you are eating quite well despite what people here are saying, you are very light and eating a lot of food for your size. You are doing a lot of activity to burn it up, of course, and you are also quite young. I know a lot of people are looking at what you are eating and thinking "that is hardly anything" but really, you are 130lbs and eating far more than most people your size and weight and age.

Your lunchtime meal is almost non-existant. Try shoving something big in around 2pm or 3pm, like a whole chicken.

Maybe sneak in a midnight snack too.

Apart from that, increase all quantities for all items.

Also, do you find yourself struggling to digest the quantities of food you are eating now?

Hopefully what is going on is just that you have never been fat, and do a tonne of exercise, and are burning it up.

Undeveloped fat tissue?

To respond to some of your questions and comments, I'm not premature, I actually get 200 g of protein a day, and, believe it or not, I'm not an ectomorph. I'm naturally more of a medium build for my size. I've never really had a whole lot of fat on me (never more than 10-12% on me) but when I started anaerobically training for martial arts, it melted away most of my BF so I earned it to an extent. Oh, and yeah, the omelette is made with 1 egg and 3 oz of egg whites- roughly the equivalent of a three egg omelette.

Why do you think you need to avoid egg yolks especially at your body weight?

You said: I need to eat 3800 calories a day; therefore, eat 3800 calories a day. It can come from anything and everting. Eggs, various lean proteins, fruits, veggies, peanut butter, olive oil. Some 'non-clean' stuff would hardly kill you either.

Ok, well how much protein SHOULD he have if i am "bullshit" X?
You think he's getting enough protein for a person trying to gain weight?

And the last time i checked, flash protein has calories.

Exactly what kind of calories are you recommending for him to increase if he shouldn't eat any more protein?

Curious objection since you just made fun of him for have one egg for breakfast.

I am calling bullshit as far as his protein requirement being his main focus. There is nothing that shows someone NEEDS more than 1gr of protein per pound of body weight to make progress. His ability to grow is not just based on protein intake. Fats and carbs are just as important especially at his body weight. If you think he NEEDS over 200gr of protein a day to make progress, what do you think someone weighing over 250lbs NEEDS to grow?

I am calling bullshit as far as his protein requirement being his main focus. There is nothing that shows someone NEEDS more than 1gr of protein per pound of body weight to make progress. His ability to grow is not just based on protein intake. Fats and carbs are just as important especially at his body weight. If you think he NEEDS over 200gr of protein a day to make progress, what do you think someone weighing over 250lbs NEEDS to grow?
[/quote]

He is getting a lot of good fats and carbs.
Looking over his daily meal, his protein stuck out to
me as the biggest deficiency.

I agree overall calories are the issue and a good balance is the best strategy. But the right calories.

As you are saying, just increasing his protein isn't going to solve everything, i don't agree that only increasing his fat and carbs is the solution either.

Most of the literature i have read from contributors here and elsewhere for as far back as i can remember state a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight is good maintenance and a good starting point. For someone trying to gain weight or bulk, 1.5 grams per pound is usually recommended in most articles i've read which is where i came up with 200 grams per day.

You think based on his meal breakdown that he is getting enough protein in a day? That is the protein intake you would recommend to someone bulking? His 3 eggs in the morning is now fine?

Yes, in the world of Physics, I studied this rare phenomenon. It is also called potential fat. The fat you could gain if you ATE more! Holy crap man! Work your way up to doubling every food item. Hell, eat some friggin' pop tarts after a dozen eggs each morning! Four ounce servings of meat? Try eight with two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Throw in a couple PB&J sandwiches.

Ever think of reading any "Massive Eating" articles of Dr. Berardi's?