T Nation

Need More Calories

I am a chronic under-eater and am trying to figure out how to get enough calories to actually start putting some muscle on my frame. I’m following the math laid out in Thibs’ Nutrition for Newbies. I’m having trouble getting enough carbs into my diet without dipping into the “occasional carb” and “rare carb” sources Thibs mentions.

My diet consists of vegetables, fruits, chicken, ground beef, fish, beans, nuts, protein powder, and water. Based on an ideal day, I’m coming up 20g short on carbs and 20g short on fat. Should I just keep cramming down more of the same or is there a less filling way to get those extra calories?

Where you’re at now, make the ‘occasional’ and ‘rare’ carbs a lot less rare.

If youre really skinny eat some bread. Dont worry about this stuff until you are thinking of stepping on a bodybuilding stage or are getting too fat.

Bread, pasta, potatoes, yams, rice. All good carb sources for bulk, clearly the bread is the least preferable choice. But a giant sandwich is not a problem at all.

So as a chronic under-eater, you are on a low-carb diet?

And you want to add muscle?

Really?

Have you tried peanut butter? 2 tbsp = 16 g fat, 6 g carbs, 8 g protein.

Or maybe extra virgin olive oil? 2 tbsp = 28 g fat.

Real easy to swallow 2 tbsp of oil.

Maybe eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. You might actually gain some weight.

If all else fails, drink a gallon of milk a day. Not hard, even with no appetite.

I was the king of under-eating when I first started, I struggled with it so much (started at 130lbs).

But once I got the hang of things I came to rely on beef, eggs, whole milk, and poptarts.

[quote]AceRock wrote:
So as a chronic under-eater, you are on a low-carb diet?

And you want to add muscle?

Really?

Have you tried peanut butter? 2 tbsp = 16 g fat, 6 g carbs, 8 g protein.

Or maybe extra virgin olive oil? 2 tbsp = 28 g fat.

Real easy to swallow 2 tbsp of oil.

Maybe eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. You might actually gain some weight.

If all else fails, drink a gallon of milk a day. Not hard, even with no appetite.[/quote]

Yes oats. I forgot oats. Replace all non-sandwich bread with oats.

I suppose right now I’m “skinny-fat.” I would like to cut some fat as well as add some muscle.

Peanut butter and olive oil are a good idea. I’m really more worried about getting extra carbs, since they aren’t quite so readily available in my diet. I’m already trying to pound more fruit than I want to to get where I am.

Unfortunately, I’m lactose intolerant. I knew someone would drop the milk bomb so I meant to mention that in my first post but I forgot.

I actually used to eat a bowl of oatmeal every morning, since I had heard good things about it from the bodybuilding community until I read this line in Thibs’ Nutrition for Newbies:

“Should-avoid carb sources: white bread, white pasta, oatmeal”

I trust Thibs a lot. Can anyone explain why he’d recommend against it when just about everyone else recommends it?

Why would you choose fruit over oatmeal? Save for the vitamins and taste.

I dont really know why he says to avoid them. My guess is because oats cause allergic reactions in some people. Causing poor digestion of other foods etc.

The fact that he lumped it in with WHITE bread and WHITE pasta makes me think maybe he meant the cheap flavored oatmeal.

[quote]kuroiryu wrote:

Unfortunately, I’m lactose intolerant. I knew someone would drop the milk bomb so I meant to mention that in my first post but I forgot.
[/quote]

I’m lactose intolerant as well. I recently discovered Lactaid – lactose free milk. Been drinking 1/2 - 3/4 gallon per day.

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:
The fact that he lumped it in with WHITE bread and WHITE pasta makes me think maybe he meant the cheap flavored oatmeal.[/quote]

That’s a good point. I’ve been eating Quaker 100% non-instant oats with two eggs and water (lactose, ya know).

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:

[quote]kuroiryu wrote:

[/quote]

I’m lactose intolerant as well. I recently discovered Lactaid – lactose free milk. Been drinking 1/2 - 3/4 gallon per day.
[/quote]

i love that milk…! too bad i’m not letting myself have any. i don’t think my body responds well to milk.