Need Mass Fast

My son is 16 and entering his first year of Varsity football. He is 5’10" and 175. Not bad except he plays center. At times he was outsized last year by 100 lbs. His H.S. lifting program consist of mostly 3 x 5’s on major lifts and 3 x 10’s on secondary lifts. I’m only going to have him away from school for about 8 weeks and I need to pack on as much solid mass as possible between shot put season and football summer camp… what kind of protocol would you guys suggest?

I would say have him drink a gallon of milk everyday, (chocolate milk if he doesn’t like regular milk) a few protein shakes every now and then throughout the day, and lots of cereal, oatmeal, steaks, chicken, bananas, bread, ect. It’s all going to come down to the diet. Have him lift hard and heavy focusing on the core movements, most importantly: Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Rows, Pull-ups, and Dips. Keep making improvements in strength from week to week but also throw in some high volume every few workouts. Get him on some creatine.

either go WS4SB the original with some very light maintanence conditioning if he needs it, or go with the stuff on drsquat.com in there football eBook.

Probably go with the WS4SB though.

maybe GVT? (German Volume Training). My friend put on 7 pounds in the first 3 weeks alone.

I agree with the milk. Heavy lifting plus tons of milk will equal a lot of growth in a young lifter.

Lots of milk and eggs. Chicken, steak and fish. pasta, potatoes

Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos - for his training

God I’m glad I didn’t have one of these neurotic athlete parents.

On the other side of the coin, I wish I DID have one of those types of parents. I’d probably be playing professional baseball right now instead of typing on this message board. As a kid I had all kinds of raw talent. With someone to push me and help me develop that talent, who knows what could have happened? I think it’s important not to push your kids if it’s something they don’t want to do, but if it’s something they enjoy and are equally excited about then I say go for it. Just my opinion, based on my personal experience.

Chad

Yeah, good point. The same activity can be both supportive or pushing, depending on the desires of the recipient.

I’d say do the big compound lifts (outlined already above) and eat a ton of food to both recover quickly and grow some mass. Keep an eye on the calipers (maybe a tape measure around the midsection) to see if the gains are going to the right places.

Try to avoid doing excessive cardio style work while trying to add mass. You can burn a ton of calories lifting weights… maybe do a bit of sprinting on the weekend or something.

There may be football specific stuff that you need/want to do, but I don’t know anything about that.