Need Inspiration or New Goal

Hi all,

I’ve been working out again now for about 5 months. The first month was getting over the soreness. The next 3 months I was training hard and heavy with a lot of enthusiasm. Then summer came and I got really busy and my desire for training really dropped.

Fortunately, my workout partner is a world record powerlifter and it has kept me going but not as strong as I would like.

As for results I’m under 300lbs now and I’m on the last notch in all my belts and pants. However, my eating habits have slipped dramatically. I find myself eating cookies, pizza, and other crap like that. I don’t want to lose what I have gained and I have a long way to my original goal.

Have any of you experienced this type of let down after training hard for a 12 week cycle?

I’m thinking about doing another 12 week cycle after Labor day. This cycle will be major cutting.

As far as diet goes, I’m tired of the protein all the time although I’ve been eating Jerky a lot at my brother’s jerky store. That’s about the best snack I’ve found.

Any words of inspiration or encouragement would be helpful.

walleye

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Walleye,
How much reality can you handle? Check your PM.
“Coach Joe”

After 12 weeks of hard training not only does your body need a break, but so does your mind. Ideally, you should take a week off every 12 weeks (if not sooner). I personally plan an “off” week every 6-8 weeks depending on how heavy my training is. During this week I take the time I would be spending in the gym and play some recreational sports, go for walks, go swimming, etc. Basically, I just take a physical and mental break from the gym. By the end of the week I’m usually aching to get back to the gym. I also let my diet go (to a small extent) during this week if I’m in a bulking phase. If I’m cutting down I ease up a little (i.e., make my meals a little larger and add more carbs), but still keep it fairly clean.

You also mentioned doing another 12 week cycle starting after labour day. The fact is, any time you are training it should be part of a structured routine. Take some time on your off week to PLAN your next phase. There is no point in going to the gym and doing a 12 week cycle and then just training randomly until you do another phase. Plan your cycle (rest weeks included) and before that is finished you should be planning your next.

Motivation is a tough one. I personally find it within myself. Other people need external feedback. If you are one of these start making small goals every 4 weeks and assess yourself to see if you’re attaining them. Every small step will motivate you towards your larger goal.

Hope that helps.

The T-nation is always here for you.

[quote]walleye49 wrote:
Hi all,

I’ve been working out again now for about 5 months. The first month was getting over the soreness. The next 3 months I was training hard and heavy with a lot of enthusiasm. Then summer came and I got really busy and my desire for training really dropped.

Fortunately, my workout partner is a world record powerlifter and it has kept me going but not as strong as I would like.

As for results I’m under 300lbs now and I’m on the last notch in all my belts and pants. However, my eating habits have slipped dramatically. I find myself eating cookies, pizza, and other crap like that. I don’t want to lose what I have gained and I have a long way to my original goal.

Have any of you experienced this type of let down after training hard for a 12 week cycle?

I’m thinking about doing another 12 week cycle after Labor day. This cycle will be major cutting.

As far as diet goes, I’m tired of the protein all the time although I’ve been eating Jerky a lot at my brother’s jerky store. That’s about the best snack I’ve found.

Any words of inspiration or encouragement would be helpful.

walleye[/quote]

walleye, we all have different personalities. Some of us are structured and precise and thrive on routine. Others of us travel through life absentmindedly, looking for gratification and comfort. And all of us tend to be more one or the other in different areas of our lives.

I’m sure you’re responsible, reliable and have routines as it relates to your business and paying your bills. Where you really need to have a heart-to-heart with yourself is where your eating habits and working out are concerned. It ain’t 'bout a diet (one that has a begining and an end) or a cutting cycle or 12 weeks. It’s about the commitment YOU are willing to make to YOURSELF for the rest of your life.

As far as working out and eating go, you have to think about establishing rest-of-your-life routines. Some of my “routines” – actually, they’re more nutritional core values – are eating every 3 hours, eating protein every meal and actually, lately, eating more green veggies to reduce the acid load. (JB wrote a great article on acid-base load.)

I have other routines that help me to hold myself accountable, like keeping a food log and weighing myself on a weekly basis and recording the reps, sets and weight I lift in the gym. All the things I mentioned aren’t part of a “temporary” cutting cycle. They’re things I’ve made part of my routine and woven into the fabric of my life.

Each of us has to figure out what we want out of life and what we’re willing to pay for it. Once you do, life and making decisions becomes simple.

No easy answers, walleye. I wish you all the best in working through your issues.

Thanks everybody,

I’m definately going to have to dig deep within myself to find a way to keep going. It isn’t going to be easy.

I’m getting back on track tomorrow with my diet and exercise routine. I’ll be counting the carbs and protein again.

walleye

Walleye,

Sounds as if you are headed in the right direction. Just keep your head up, and dont hesitate to come on back during those tough times, or anytime for that matter. We are all here for ya bro.

Keep us informed on how it goes.

Phill