T Nation

Need Help

G’day I’m new to the forum and need some help.

Been boxing nearly all my life and to make weight had to rely on bodyweight exercises for strength training because as soon as I touched weights my weight increased.

Now I’m having a break from boxing to try the team sport thing. My mate wants me to play a season of rugby league with him before we go our separate ways.

Anyway here is my problem I weigh 158lbs not big enough to really mix it up with the big boys.

Not having really done any weights training, my knowledge is based on what “experts” tell me in the gym and everything they say is different.

Can you help me with a program that will help me increase speed, power and bulk me up as well. I know I have to increase my food intake.

This may be a big ask but any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

Check out Defranco’s “Westside For Skinny Bastards” do an article search

Cheers and have fun
Phill

[quote]Reaper wrote:
…had to rely on bodyweight exercises for strength training because as soon as I touched weights my weight increased…
[/quote]

What a drag

[quote]Reaper wrote:
…what “experts” tell me in the gym and everything they say is different…
[/quote]

Don’t expect that situation to get much better here

[quote]Reaper wrote:
Can you help me with a program that will help me increase speed, power and bulk me up as well. I know I have to increase my food intake.
[/quote]

Sounds like you need to “touch” some weights. If I was in your situation I’d do big compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, benches, rows/pulldowns etc) along with your rugby practice and eat a bunch of food. After a couple months of that I’d see where I was and go from there. Do yourself a favor. Don’t overcomplicate things at this point. You may find yourself going everywhere and nowhere.

Thanks for the help fellas.
Should I stick to the Westside for Skinny Barstards template or try this which I came up with.

MON
Standing cable row 3 x 3-5
Bent over barbell row 3 x 3-5
Seated single arm cable row 3 x 3-5

Barbell squat 3 x 3-5 (super slow 6:6)
Squat jumps 3 x 5
(super set)
Walking lungesy 3 x 3 (each leg)

Incline bench press 3 x 3-5 (super slow 6 :6)
Swiss ball cable flys
Standing cable pivot - pull - push 3 x 3-5

Standing dumbbell shoulder press (variation) 3 x 3-5
Pull ups 3 x 5
(super set)

The exercises are performed as a circuit with the appropriate breaks between exercises and then a bigger break before you start the next circuit.

WED
Same as on MON but the reps increase to 8 - 12. The super slow exercises are half super slow half normal.

FRI
Barbell clean and press 3 x 5-8
Dumbbell snatch 3 x 5 - 8
Dumbbell swing 3 x 5-8

Lat pull down 3 x 5-8
Pull ups 3 x 5
(super set)

Dead lifts 3 x 5-8
Box jumps 3 x 5
(super set)

Barbell flat bench press 3 x 5-8
Clap pushups 3 x 5
(super set)

Seated shoulder press 3 x 5-8
Neider press 3 x 5-8

[quote]Reaper wrote:
Thanks for the help fellas.
Should I stick to the Westside for Skinny Barstards template or try this which I came up with.

[/quote]

Id go with thew WS4SB IMO it leaves plenty of room for recovery etc and is desinged for athletes that are also training sport specific.

Just my take but hell anything you do having not been lifting etc is going to show results. Id just aim to not over do it if your Rugby practie etc is anything like the ones Ive done your lower body etc is going to be getting hella work.

Phill

Plus man whats up woth the super slow. I can see it having a place maybe for aesthetic but my god man your training for a sport. when is the last time you saw some one do something purposely super slow on a rugby field.

Train for your sport brotha. up the load the size will come with the food and work.

Phill