Need Help

Hello,

I am 56 year old, 6’1" tall, and weigh 250lbs. Most of that weight is in my upper half of body, and skinny legs. About 6 months ago I had my test tested by my family doctor, as around here there is no “age clinic” and besides, my insurance won’t cover it.
I work at a YMCA, and swim as much as I can, but no weight lifting. I also practice a little Martial Arts, as this was my lively hood until a few years ago.
Ok, now my test was 419, and that is a little less then half of “normal” the doctor won’t do anything as for my age he says it’s normal for me.

My diet isn’t the best, as I live alone, and I know that is part of my problem/problems, as I am tired all the time, seem to be putting on more weight as I go, and so on. My question is is there anything out there that I can buy(supplementation) that will help with some weight loss and help me build muscle, as I am going to start do some lifting.

I have to do this in my apartment, so what is the best way to go there to?? Thanks and feel free to comment as I’m sure I didn’t explain my situation fully. Thanks

[quote]jackdeath wrote:
Hello,

I am 56 year old, 6’1" tall, and weigh 250lbs. Most of that weight is in my upper half of body, and skinny legs. About 6 months ago I had my test tested by my family doctor, as around here there is no “age clinic” and besides, my insurance won’t cover it.

I work at a YMCA, and swim as much as I can, but no weight lifting. I also practice a little Martial Arts, as this was my lively hood until a few years ago.

Ok, now my test was 419, and that is a little less then half of “normal” the doctor won’t do anything as for my age he says it’s normal for me.

My diet isn’t the best, as I live alone, and I know that is part of my problem/problems, as I am tired all the time, seem to be putting on more weight as I go, and so on. My question is is there anything out there that I can buy(supplementation) that will help with some weight loss and help me build muscle, as I am going to start do some lifting.

I have to do this in my apartment, so what is the best way to go there to?? Thanks and feel free to comment as I’m sure I didn’t explain my situation fully. Thanks[/quote]

Sounds like you have everything you’ll need to reach your goals at your disposal already. It’s been years since I’ve stepped foot in a Y, but surely there’s a weight room and a cardio area. Diet will be an important key, waayy too much to go into in a single post though.

Check out the supplements and nutrition forum for help there. You didn’t specifically say you wanted to get bigger legs only that they’re small. If you’re looking to put on size in your lower torso, do squats and deadlifts. Squats of all sorts, stiff leg dead lifts are great. Check out our logs and see what we do for legs. Eat clean with lots of quality protein.

By clean I mean ya gotta cut out simple sugars, most anything with refined white sugar, white flour. Well, start reading, I’m not big on supplements for loosing weight, hard work and a good diet will get you there. Best of luck and welcome!

[quote]daddyzombie wrote:
jackdeath wrote:
Hello,

I have to do this in my apartment, so what is the best way to go there to?? Thanks and feel free to comment as I’m sure I didn’t explain my situation fully. Thanks

Sounds like you have everything you’ll need to reach your goals at your disposal already. It’s been years since I’ve stepped foot in a Y, but surely there’s a weight room and a cardio area. Diet will be an important key, waayy too much to go into in a single post though.

Check out the supplements and nutrition forum for help there. You didn’t specifically say you wanted to get bigger legs only that they’re small. If you’re looking to put on size in your lower torso, do squats and deadlifts. Squats of all sorts, stiff leg dead lifts are great. Check out our logs and see what we do for legs. Eat clean with lots of quality protein.

By clean I mean ya gotta cut out simple sugars, most anything with refined white sugar, white flour. Well, start reading, I’m not big on supplements for loosing weight, hard work and a good diet will get you there. Best of luck and welcome!
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.
I want to put size on my legs. I should explain my situation a little better. 4 years ago I went through a pretty bad surgery. It almost killed me and during recovery I pretty much melted away. I had a bigger natural build from good genes.

With a year of lay off and medication I ballooned up, but odd enough it was all in the upper torso. I still have to watch what I do, but is it possible at my age to put on size, and could I do that in my apartment without some help from supplements? Thanks again

I’m 54 and getting back into it. I just dropped 15 lbs in the past 6 weeks and have gained some muscle already. You can do it! Mu quads came back fast, I work on other leg groups as well.

I was in a bad car accident some years ago and went from 205 to 155 lbs in no time. It was a long road back. I know the melting away feeling.

Stick with it, there’s a ton of great knowledge here.

BG

Problem is I went the other way, I wasted away muscle, and gained weight from the medicines I was on. My legs are skinny, and my upper body put on all the weight!!

Anyone else?

Train first for strength, and size will follow. DZ has a penchant for powerlifting and strongman exercises, which are both awesome for increasing strength, and he is a strong guy.

For great info on powerlifting, read the thread “fat guy in a little coat” by Maraudermeat. I think he is probably the most advanced of the powerlifters on this forum, and one of, if not the, strongest.

I think we all agree, though, on the following:
1- consume 1 gram of lean protein per pound of bodyweight.

2- use “big” compound exercises for your weight training. deadlifts, squats, bench press, military press, chin-ups and rows. If you have the skill to do power cleans or clean-and-jerk, those are awesome (I still can’t do those…)

3- lift the heaviest shit you can, or like in DZs case, pick up weird heavy shit and carry it around your yard.

There are guys alot older than you who still powerlift in competition, so don’t worry about your age. DZs right about lifting at the Y, they usually have everything you need in their little weight rooms, you just might need to share. I used to hit those when I travelled alot, and was able to do most of what I wanted to do.

Welcome to decrepit old fart’s home. you said martial arts used to be your livelihood. tell us a story…

train harder
Old Lardass

[quote]mjnewland wrote:
Train first for strength, and size will follow. DZ has a penchant for powerlifting and strongman exercises, which are both awesome for increasing strength, and he is a strong guy.

For great info on powerlifting, read the thread “fat guy in a little coat” by Maraudermeat. I think he is probably the most advanced of the powerlifters on this forum, and one of, if not the, strongest.

I think we all agree, though, on the following:
1- consume 1 gram of lean protein per pound of bodyweight.

2- use “big” compound exercises for your weight training. deadlifts, squats, bench press, military press, chin-ups and rows. If you have the skill to do power cleans or clean-and-jerk, those are awesome (I still can’t do those…)

3- lift the heaviest shit you can, or like in DZs case, pick up weird heavy shit and carry it around your yard.

There are guys alot older than you who still powerlift in competition, so don’t worry about your age. DZs right about lifting at the Y, they usually have everything you need in their little weight rooms, you just might need to share. I used to hit those when I travelled alot, and was able to do most of what I wanted to do.

Welcome to decrepit old fart’s home. you said martial arts used to be your livelihood. tell us a story…

train harder
Old Lardass[/quote]

First off thanks for all the info, I will check that out. I did already read quite a bit, and there is a lot to consume.

A story eh? Well I started boxing when I was 16, fell a little short of Golden Gloves, but did ok as an amateur. At 18 I got interested in TaeKwonDo, the rest is history.

I ran a couple of schools here in my state, and did some power breaking. I held 2 records in Cement block breaking. Have my 4th Dan in TaeKwonDo and dabbled in many other arts, none ranking but interesting. Anyway I have enough time in to get my Masters, but money and flights to Korea kept me short of my goals.

I still teach Private instruction, in fact I have a meeting tonight in about an hour. So that’s my story and I’m sticking to it :wink: Thanks again.

[quote]jackdeath wrote:
Hello,

I have to do this in my apartment, so what is the best way to go there to?? Thanks and feel free to comment as I’m sure I didn’t explain my situation fully. Thanks[/quote]

Supplement? Why is that your first direction. And really, unless there are some other issues, your ‘test’ # is relatively unimportant.

When you actually start to lift the weights you are talking about, you should see some fat loss and lean mass gain. When you begin to eat better, you will see the fat loss.

After 6 months you can reasses your goals. but really, until you put in some time, don’t look to supplements for the answer.