T Nation

need help with wife's bad back

my wife, a competitive powerliftrs has had a bad back for about 7 months. It even hurts when she squats 40% of her max plus when she deadlifts and does certain back exercises. we finally found a doctor hat would perscribe an mri. here are the preliminary results:

"Findings: Moderate disc narrowing and disc desiccation are present at C9-T10 with adjacent end plate reaction. Posterior bulging of the disc and spondylosis mildly compress the ventral aspect of the thoracic subarachnoid space. At C7-C8, moderate disc narrowing and desiccation are present. Posterior bulging of the disc and spondylosis abut the ventral surface of the cord at this level. There is no evidence of cord compression. No syrinx is identified and there is no evidence of intraspinal tumor. There is no evidence of subluxation or compression fracture.

Impression: Mid to lower thoracic spondylosis with particular involvement of T9-T10. There is no evidence of cord compression or spinal stenosis"

we are trying to find a good sports doctor in michigan that can help. however, do any of you have any suggestions as to what she should or could do to improve her condition? should she continue to lift heavy and suck it up? time off? we have access to a reverse hyper and think that she should be using that more often. any help would be appreciated.

What part of Michigan do you live? I’m close to the Sports Med program at MSU. Perhaps I can hook you up with one of my mentor Osteopaths.

close enough if they can help. we live in oakland county

I’d like to help you if I can, but need to be considerate of our gracious hosts here. Try going to the Meso-rx Board, my addy is there.

you’ve got mail. thanks for your help

“…any of you have any suggestions as to what she should or could do to improve her condition?” Yes, two words reverse hypers. “should she continue to lift heavy and suck it up?” NO “time off?” Not many people could go wrong by taking a week to 9 days off. In terms of the reverse hyper, I think reps around 20 seem to help my the best and this is also what Westside Barbell Club recommends. A few other things to keep in mind, mentioned in no particular order: stretching, hydration, EPA/DHA, glucosamine & chondrioton, proper hip alignment, and abdominal strength, to mention a few. To read some more about reverse hypers check out Westside’s site (Louie has rehabilitated himself through two back breaks with it). Best of luck.