Need Help with Topic for Research Paper

Hi guys,

Im a junior in College, majoring in Nutrition. For my technichal writing class I have to write a 25 page research paper about a problem in my major field of study, and provide 3 solutions to that problem.

Here are my current thoughts:

What would be the safest and most effective weight loss pill right now on the market… I would choose like hoodia, alli, and another one

(please dont discuss the answers, i am just looking for topics)

Another student did which of the artificial sweetners is safest if any of them are declared safe…

Another topic was trying to find the most effective wieght loss diet. between like jenny craig, weight watchers and another one

If you guys have any suggestions, please let me know… I got to have a topic before sunday at 2:00… so any help would be great! thanks

How about which foods give the most energy if eaten before a workout. You can include supplements such as NO-Xplode and whole foods such as oatmeal or white rice maybe. Just a thought and an interesting topic that would help a lot of people.

How about the most effective Omega’s. A lot of people are getting taken by this Omega everything. Fuck the diets they’re lame and over writen about, no one listens.

both good ideas. i will keep them both in mind

[quote]Serd wrote:
Hi guys,

Im a junior in College, majoring in Nutrition. For my technichal writing class I have to write a 25 page research paper about a problem in my major field of study, and provide 3 solutions to that problem.

Here are my current thoughts:

What would be the safest and most effective weight loss pill right now on the market… I would choose like hoodia, alli, and another one

(please dont discuss the answers, i am just looking for topics)

Another student did which of the artificial sweetners is safest if any of them are declared safe…

Another topic was trying to find the most effective wieght loss diet. between like jenny craig, weight watchers and another one

If you guys have any suggestions, please let me know… I got to have a topic before sunday at 2:00… so any help would be great! thanks[/quote]

Well, you mentioned a problem in your field. There aren’t really any “problems” related to lifting anymore; the big points have been known since the 70’s. It’s all details now. I’d suggest something really meaningful that’s actually a “problem,” like dietary adherence for clinical populations or something to that effect.

The topic that I am leaning toward the most is “the most effect over the counter weight loss pill on the market”.

Though I am stuck in trying to decide which ones to choose. I have to choose 3 and research them all and at the end of my paper i have to decide through my research which one would be the best.

I am thinking about going with alli, hooida, and may xendadrine… what do you guys think?

[quote]Serd wrote:

If you guys have any suggestions, please let me know… I got to have a topic before sunday at 2:00… so any help would be great! thanks[/quote]

I think you’ll find that that’s been studied over and over again, and Weight Watchers wins, hands down. But their “win” margin is very thin. Something like 10% take the weight off and keep it off for two years.

What I think is an interesting question (by which I mean 25 pages’ worth of question) is why do 90% (or whatever) fail? What exactly is it: one cheat meal throws them off and they never come back, stress eating gets to them, they lose enough weight that they feel better about themselves and settle for less loss? I can tell you with some certainty that all these things play a roll (there are other things, these are just off the top of my head), but which one makes more of them fail? Or another angle is, which of these does Weight Watchers manage better, and why?

God, I love research questions.

Edit: Oh, you’ve decided on pills. Never mind then. Pills don’t do anything for me, intellectually. People’s motivations are what interest me.

But good luck!

[quote]Serd wrote:
I am thinking about going with alli, hooida, and may xendadrine… what do you guys think?[/quote]

How will you define effective? By physiological effect or by actual weight loss?

If it’s the physiological effect, it’d be hard to quantify “most” effective as it’s dose dependent. If it’s by weight loss outcomes, it’s hard to tease out the pill as an independent effector due to all the interactions.

Either way, good luck.

You know, thinking about this…I’m not sure what you’re saying is the problem, Serd. What you’re solving with your research. Is the problem ineffective weight loss pills? (Which I suspect they all are. Without diet and exercise changes, they’ll fail.)

Your research question (“the most effect over the counter weight loss pill on the market”) doesn’t match what you’ve said is the paper’s goal:

write about something mad easy, research papers suck.

just pick a very broad topic. im not sure if some of these guys giving answers have written these papers before but you arent going to find much info on a database about Weight Watchers management.

picking a name brand drug is probaly easier or perhaps the effects of protein, maybe Protein: What Do We Really Know?

theres so many studies on protein youll have a broad selection of literature and studies to choose from, plus you can include your own experiences from what youve heard, experienced yourself, etc. its good to do a topic you actually experienced.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
You know, thinking about this…I’m not sure what you’re saying is the problem, Serd. What you’re solving with your research. Is the problem ineffective weight loss pills? (Which I suspect they all are. Without diet and exercise changes, they’ll fail.)

Your research question (“the most effect over the counter weight loss pill on the market”) doesn’t match what you’ve said is the paper’s goal:

research paper about a problem in my major field of study, and provide 3 solutions to that problem.

[/quote]

Yeah you’re not introducing a problem, unless your essay actually bashes fat burners. You’re heading towards a comparison of effect, and that’s not what your work seems to be about.

If you want to keep the same subject, you could talk about the dark side of fat burners, such as Clenbuterol, DNP, ECA stacks, hGh, etc.

I agree with Emily: evaluating three weight loss pills doesn’t address the goal of your assignment: a research paper about a problem in my major field of study, and provide 3 solutions to that problem.

Your field of study is nutrition. I would seriously consider writing something about the major conflict of interest between the food industry and your chosen field. The public is very uninformed about the REAL nutritional value and content of the foods they are eating and it’s in the best interest of the food industry to keep the population ignorant!

Now THAT’S a huge problem!

I’d start by reading this book (Amazon): Appetite for Profit: How the Food Industry Undermines Our Health and How to Fight Back. By Michele Simon.

This book is an eye-opener.

Cappy

Basically my paper will be full of comparison and contrast. Good Points, I understand and stand behind what you are all saying about how weight loss pills are ineffective w/o a good diet and exercise.

Though i have veered my topic a little.

I will research the most effective NATURAL weight loss supplement instead. I want to compare fish oil with maybe green tea extract and/or caffeine supplement.

I am really interested in nutraceuticals and want to work at the pennington biomedical research center in baton rouge after i graduate.

so in fact. essentially there is no problem. The only problem you can pose is which of the three has the greatest effect on physical weight loss…

Any other suggestions for natural weight loss supplements are welcome… and thank you all for replying thus far.

[quote]Serd wrote:

I will research the most effective NATURAL weight loss supplement instead. I want to compare fish oil with maybe green tea extract and/or caffeine supplement.

so in fact. essentially there is no problem. The only problem you can pose is which of the three has the greatest effect on physical weight loss…[/quote]

Wait. Call me crazy, but I’m still confused! If there isn’t a problem using fish oil, green tea extract and caffeine as weight loss supps, then how are you going to write this paper using the guidelines they stated? Writing a comparison piece and trying to prove which supplement works better is not the same as presenting three problems with using these natural supps, and the solutions to those problems.

Cappy