T Nation

Need Help with Squat

I’ve been having some trouble on my squat form. My hips tend to rise faster than my torso, and then I have to goodmorning it up the rest of the way. I’ve been squatting since the beginning of this year and I haven’t made all that much progress in it, too (most likely due to the aforementioned form problem). I squatted again yesterday and had the same problem at 175 lb. After two sets at 175 and not having any luck, I lowered the weight to 165 and really focused on keeping my sternum raised and had much better form.

My hip and ankle mobility are fully up to snuff and I’m able to keep my knees from caving in, but I’m still not able to bring up the weight with my form going to hell. This is starting to bother the hell out of me because I really want to bring my squat up. In case it helps, my current max deadlift is 295, so I don’t think it’s a strength issue. I also recently changed my lifting program to a push/pull split, and on my heavy push day I’m doing Bulgarian split squats in addition to back squats and on my moderate push day I’m doing front squats and lunges in an attempt to bring up my quad strength and iron out the strength imbalances I have.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

might help

As always, a video would be a big help

and IMHO, it sounds like your doing too much work. At that strength level back squats and deads should be your priority. I don’t see any reason to have BSS’s and FS’s right now

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
As always, a video would be a big help

and IMHO, it sounds like your doing too much work. At that strength level back squats and deads should be your priority. I don’t see any reason to have BSS’s and FS’s right now[/quote]

I don’t have access to a video camera so a video isn’t in the cards, unfortunately.

As for the doing too much work, I don’t really think I am. I’ll post my routine and let you judge for yourself, though.

Wednesday:
Squat - 3x5 with 2 warm up sets
Bench press - 3x5 with 2 warm up sets
BSS - 4x6 per leg
Skull crusher - 3x8

Saturday:
Front squat - 3x8, third set taken just shy of failure
OH press - 3x8, push pressing just shy of failure on third set after 8th rep
Lunge - 4x8 per leg
Incline DB bench press - 4x8

Prior to this I had been doing SS, but supersetting my bench press with seated cable rows and supersetting my OH press with lat pulldowns.

How are your front squats? I used to have the same problem as you but I just mimicked my front squat (keeping back straight and trying to use more quads) and it seemed to help my form dramatically.

how tall are you?

His prof says 6 feet.

hmm well i notice that you dont regularly do any sets below 5 reps.

You need to.

do a week of leg workouts 4x4 for ALL leg exercises. 85% of max.

Then next week 3x6 for all. 65%

then the 3rd week 3x10 at the highest you can go without sacrificing form.

FORM:

Since you’re 6 feet tall, put a regular bench down beneath you, but dont sit on it when you go down. as soon as your ass hits the bench, fire back up and charge from the quads, pressing from the heels. May want to widen the stance to shoulder width too.

For lack of a better description, youre posture should be as if someone poured ice water down your back.

Chest out like a GI JOE. Ass out like an indiscriminantly placed fart. And don’t buy into all the A2G stuff, they’re good for the last couple sets here and there, but you should really just be bringing it to parallel.

x2 on the front squats. when i teach people how to squat, i teach them to front squat first and then progress them to back squats. they are great for re-enforcing how to squat properly. i love them and feel they have added pounds to my squat.