T Nation

Need Help with My Squat

My squat is sucky to say the least. I am trying to do more of a highbar olympic squat but I am having trouble staying upright and getting some depth. Even with lower weights I don’t do much better than this:

I also think I am rounding my back too much. Anyone have any suggestions?

Lower the weight down to at leather 185 and work for 5 sets of 5 don’t add a single pound until all 25 reps are generally correct. Your rounding over in my opinion because one you are allowing the weight to shit to your toes and lower back weakness. Make sure your keeping weight on the heels of your feet personally depth does not look to bad your just trying to turn into a good morning same problem I had before. Do this and with in a month you should be looking better in the squat.

Week 1-
Squat 5x5x185
Good Mornings 4x12 (these are not a Max effort lift do not reach failure)
Hip Thrust 4x20 (start with bodyweight hold for one at top)
Weighted Planks x 3 x 30sec ( I say 30 seconds because you want to increase core strength specific to equating and 30 sec is about right)

Week 2
Squat 185 (5lbs added if all reps following week were satisfactory)
RDL 4x6
Hip Thrust 4x20
Weighted Sit Ups 4x20

Are you pinching your lats/bracing your core as hard as possible? Doesn’t look like you are from the video - maybe just the angle.

I found pinching my lats and thus pushing out my chest helped keep my upper body upright throughout the lift. Good mornings are excellent as recommended above. Maybe try a slightly wider stance with feet pointing out a little (this targets the glutes a bit more, which makes you stronger - at least it did for me.)

^ what everybody else has said +

If you do want to do high bar olympic squats,
A: improve your flexibility - you need to get a lot deeper. there are plenty of articles on this site. What really helped my was holding the goblet squat position for 20+secs, twice a day, along with plenty of other stretching - especially for hip flexors
B: Get a pair of olympic shoes.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
^ what everybody else has said +

If you do want to do high bar olympic squats,
A: improve your flexibility - you need to get a lot deeper. there are plenty of articles on this site. What really helped my was holding the goblet squat position for 20+secs, twice a day, along with plenty of other stretching - especially for hip flexors
B: Get a pair of olympic shoes.[/quote]

Can you post the link to some helpful articles?

two that i found quickly

Is there a good video anyone cna post a link to that shows the Olympic back squat? I looked at the one on this site but I feel like the camera angles don’t really help much. I kinda want to see how it looks more clearly from the side so I can get a better idea visually.

This may or may not be helpful, but I thought it was interesting nevertheless

After seeing the video, I think my initial problem (not my biggest, but where these problems started from) was my concept on doing the squat was wrong. I was trying to sit back and stay upright while keeping the knees relatively in place (although I didn’t do a great job) when I should have come forward a bit like he says in the video.

Anyone else kind of tilt thier head upwards on the way up?

For me it seems to trigger something where it just tells my body to quickly stand. maybe its something to do with the upper back. i would know if i was a scientist.

I find pulling down on the bar helps me push through sticking points