T Nation

Need Help with My Routine

Hey, I am a 15 year old kid that plays a competitive level of hockey but I also have a love for being in the gym and just going nuts on the weights. Nothing makes me happier than pushing my limits and completing my goals in the gym. To let you know, I am not one of the kids you see in the gym that does curls and bench all day long. I like to think i know what I am doing. As of today, my goal is to gain mass.

I am 170 lbs and around 5'9.

My workout routine: ( every second day )

Deadlift - warm up set + 3 working sets. ( 2-4 reps)
(my one rep max is 205)
pull ups - 3 x failure ( around 12 )
dumbell bench press 3 x 8-10
shoulder press 3 x 8-10
dumbell shrugs 3 x 8-10
lateral raises 3 x 8-10
seated calve raise 3 x 8-10
close grip bench 3 x 8-10
core work

What should I do to improve my routine? Or is there another routine i should be following? Please give me your opinion.

Where to start…

No squats?

[quote]aloaff wrote:
Hey, I am a 15 year old kid that plays a competitive level of hockey but I also have a love for being in the gym and just going nuts on the weights. Nothing makes me happier than pushing my limits and completing my goals in the gym. To let you know, I am not one of the kids you see in the gym that does curls and bench all day long. I like to think i know what I am doing. As of today, my goal is to gain mass.

I am 170 lbs and around 5’9.

My workout routine: ( every second day )

Deadlift - warm up set + 3 working sets. ( 2-4 reps)
(my one rep max is 205)
pull ups - 3 x failure ( around 12 )
dumbell bench press 3 x 8-10
shoulder press 3 x 8-10
dumbell shrugs 3 x 8-10
lateral raises 3 x 8-10
close grip bench 3 x 8-10
core work

What should I do to improve my routine? Or is there another routine i should be following? Please give me your opinion.[/quote]

All in all I’m impressed, in the sense that you put leg work first and you lift heavy at it.

However, the routine could use lots of work. However, the single easiest fix for it–which should help you alleviate any real problems for the moment-- is simply to have you split it up. 8 exercises is too many for one day. You should try to stay between 4-6.

Try this–split up your training and just do leg work one day and upper body work the next. Alternate this, doing a workout every other day. For upper body days make sure you have at least as much pulling (rows, chins, and sometimes pulldowns) as you do pushing (bench, shoulder press, etc). Stay under 6 exercises a day. You can put shrugs on leg day or upper body day. If on leg day they should go late in the workout because they are not very demanding.

Now, let’s see what you come up with. This should be the quickest way to fix most problems.

Alright, so I have came up with this for upper body day. As for the legs day, im not sure what i should do. I was thinking maybe on lower body days i would squat with reps 8-10 and on upper body days, do heavy deads? thoughts?

Upper body days ( monday, wednesday, friday )

Stiff legged deadlift? 3 x 2-4
Bench 3 x 5-6
Pull Ups 3 x failure
Military Press 3 x 8-10
Barbell Row 3 x 8-10

Lower Body Days ( tuesday, thursday, saturday )

Squat 3 x 8-10
leg extension 3 x 8-10
leg curl 3 x 8-10
dumbell shrugs 3 x 8-10

Sunday - Off

I would rotate Squats and heavy deadlifts on your lower body days.

Squat 3 x 8-10
Bench 3 x 5-6
Pull Ups 3 x failure
Military Press 3 x 8-10
Barbell Row 3 x 8-10

leg extension 3 x 8-10
leg curl 3 x 8-10
dumbell shrugs 3 x 8-10

Sunday - Off

[quote]aloaff wrote:

Squat 3 x 8-10
Bench 3 x 5-6
Pull Ups 3 x failure
Military Press 3 x 8-10
Barbell Row 3 x 8-10

leg extension 3 x 8-10
leg curl 3 x 8-10
dumbell shrugs 3 x 8-10

Sunday - Off
[/quote]

Not quite what he had in mind—he meant keep your deadlifts where they were on Upper body days and then occasionally throw them in on Lower body days as well.

A couple things–First, this routine makes much more sense than the one you originally posted. Second, training 6 days a week is waaaaaay too much. What I meant when I said do a workout every other day was–Upper, rest, Lower, rest, upper, rest, lower. Train 4 days/week.

Thirdly, your upper body day looks much better than your lower body day. If you want to put a deadlift variation on the upper body day (I assume this is for your back, right?) I would NOT do the full range deadlift, but would do a rack pull from knee height or above. This will focus more on the back and less on your legs. Also whenever you do full deadlifts, keep them at about 4-6 reps, just like your bench. For now anyway.

Limit of 6 exercises does not include ab work (not sure if I said that before?) so you can do ab work on whatever day you want.

Lower body day needs less isolation and more compound movements–theres only 1! Legs make up a good portion of your overall muscle mass and lead to most of your power generation (sports). Lunges? Bulgarian squats? Back extensions? Step ups?

Also, be aware that while you can use leg extensions, they put an enormous amount of strain on your patellar tendons and generally have a history of predisposing trainees to knee pain. Not everyone, but lots of people.

Ok, lets see what you’ve got.