T Nation

Need Help with My Program

Hello, iam not a native speaker, sorry if my english is not so good.
I will do my best for explain my problems.
I come in this forum because i like the articles in this site web and in the same time that i can progress in the gym club, i can make progress in english.

I would like your advices/view about somes question that i have, i make by myself the program and i would like to know if is good or not and i have also some differents question about my training, i show you in the first time my program.

My Size and weight: 5 feet 11 inches - 148lb

I have long forearms, long legs so it is not easy for bench press and back squat, for the bench press i dont take the barbell large but " normal grip " for protect my shoulder of amplitude because the amplitude is to deeper if the grip is large.

Front squat seems good for my back, morphology.

I training 1x by week my forearms because i dont feel that they work, maybe for some people without long forearms they dont need to work but not for me.

Actually my " lvl " is:

Bench press 143 lb
Front squat 100lb
Stiff legged 154 lb

The program

Monday

Front Squat 3x5 ( 2 sets warming up before for all exercices)
Bench press 3x5
Stiff-legged Deadlift 3x5
pull up 4x8-15
barbell curl biceps 4x8-10
Skull crushers 4x8-10

Tuesday

Barbell wrist curl/wrist extension supersets 4x10-15
Reverse Curl 4x10-12
Plank oblique and so on

Wenesday (only body weight,biceps/triceps, i use resistance band for dips and press up)

Pull up 4x8…
Chin up 4x8…
Dips 4x8…
press up 4x8… ( i change the variant all of the time)
barbell curl 4x8-10
skull crusher 4x8-10

Abs
Crunch ball
ab wheel roller or dragon flag
Standing oblique crunch (dumbbell)
oblique crunch

Friday

Squat 3x5 ( 2 sets warming up before)
Bench press 3x5
Stiff-legged Deadlift 3x5
pull up 4x8-15
barbell curl biceps 3x8-10
Skull crushers 3x8-10

Saturday

Abs
Crunch ball
ab wheel roller or dragon flag
Standing oblique crunch (dumbbell)
oblique crunch

sunday or other day when i can

Plank oblique and so on
Stretching
massage roller

Question:

1) I would like add one exercice for the shoulder, but i don’t know exactly where i can place it, maybe after the stiff legged ? but i dont know really which exercice i can choice, i was thinking about barbell military press.

I know that food it is really important and i read a lot of book about that, and i use also myfitnesspal, so i know that the food will not to be a problem, just i already that one year for take 10 kilo, and i wasn’t regular that was my big mistake with to much party.

Just my goal it is to take some weight, and in the futur learn boxing, i just prefere to training for the moment my body and win some weight, build something strong.

**2) I dont know if 5x3 it is good for the system nervous if i dont change the range reps with the time or if i can stay like that. For the moment i just increase the weight when i can and so on, if iam tired i will not try to increase.
so i ask myself if it is better to research hypertrophy for increase my body weight so 8/12 reps somethime and return to 3x5 and so on.

My last question, if my goal it is not to be a powerlifter, maybe i can change some exercices with something more safe ? like for ( squat, bench press, and stiff legged deadfit ). I would like to build a body, to increase my weight and after start to learn boxing and of course i will change my program, just before i would like to build good foundation, even i later i will loose a bit because of the boxing.

Thank for your help, i try to do my best for explain, i hope you will understand.

If you’re going for more size, those reps look a little low. Do sets of 10 instead of sets of 5 foot all your “3 x 5” work

I’d second TX iron, but I’d also cut out nearly half of what you’re doing.

You’ve got 4-5 different movements for abs. You only need one for the time being. And You could just go for an AMRAP type of thing at the end of each session for abs. That would be plenty.

I also wouldn’t pair squatting, benching, and deadlifting all in one session.

Have squatting be it’s own day altogether, and throw in other movements that bring in the rest of your lower body. You could have squats, and maybe 1-2 other lower body movements.

Some people can pair bench and deadlifting together, but if you can’t, I’d keep bench and deadlifting separate as well. For deadlifting, keep it the main movement, and use 2-3 other movements of your choice. Since you’ve got long arms, you could really excel at this movement since you’ve got favorable leverages. I’d say, see how well you do just pulling a regular deadlift. Stance is up to you and what you’re comfortable with.

Benching would be on its own day, and you can pair it with a pressing movement if you like, along with your biceps, triceps, body weight stuff, etc.

If you’ve got a main movement (your compound movements) that you want to keep heavier, I’d suggest a rep range of something like 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps, or 1-2 reps with 6-8 sets. There’s many more ways to do it than just that. For the secondary movements you can lighten the weight, and extend the reps/sets.

Like Iron mentioned:

What I described above is akin to a PPL type of training style.

I wouldn’t worry about cardio at all, since you’re rather skinny for someone who’s nearly 6 feet tall.

And I’d suggest you add at least one more meal to whatever your total daily intake is.

1 Like

I also wouldn’t pair squatting, benching, and deadlifting all in one session.

Have squatting be it’s own day altogether, and throw in other movements that bring in the rest of your lower body. You could have squats, and maybe 1-2 other lower body movements.

Some people can pair bench and deadlifting together, but if you can’t, I’d keep bench and deadlifting separate as well. For deadlifting, keep it the main movement, and use 2-3 other movements of your choice. Since you’ve got long arms, you could really excel at this movement since you’ve got favorable leverages. I’d say, see how well you do just pulling a regular deadlift. Stance is up to you and what you’re comfortable with.

You want to says that, it is better to not do on the same day/session squat bench deadlifting or rather to make some isolation exercices between, exemple

Legs " front squat after elevated split squat "
like this vidéo " https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBsaKAPOx-I " the structure of this full body seem good and close of what you says no ? in the description of the video u can see the program.

But if you says to not do this in the same session bench stiff legged deadlifting squat, i dont want separate and do the stiff legged or bench in different day/session.

I will just training 2 days par week (in the gym) so i dont think that is to much and that i will not recover if i spleep good and so on, but maybe i make a mistake and what u says is right, i just want to try to keep bench/squat/deadlifting in the same session with some exercices between.

*** I will not do the “traditional” deadlifting, but stiff legged even if my arms are good, the classic deadlfiting i dont like so much and my levarages are not so good, that will be dangerous with the time for me if i do de the traditional deadlifiting, and i dont take so much advantage to do the complete deadlifting.

For the reps i understand completely and iam agree with that, i would like your advice about the program on the video, when i will finish to make the program, i will open a Training log with video of the exercices and so on because i think it is good and necessary for progress.

thank for your help!

Something else to consider - the only way you’ll add size is it you eat for it.

I was about your size many years ago when I started my lifting journey, and quality food will be your #1 friend.

That being said, I found myself just not being able to eat enough so I turned to weight gainer shakes. I wouldn’t drink them forever, but they helped me get to the weight Ive Been stuck at for a long time (between 175-185lbs at 6’)

1 Like

Yes i make my shaker also, with oatmeal fruit cocktail, banana.

For the moment i eat by day 2500/2700 kcal, i dont eat so much, i waiting a bit when i stagnate and i will increase calories and so on, for the moment with a 2500/2700 i have 67 kilo, soon i will eat 3000 calories, you know when i start i was more skinny hehe i dont give up, just iam lalready happy, because i dont look so skiny than before, for the summer if i get 72/75 killo i will be happy

I like do like that 3 meal 1k calories and one shaker, i dont like eat 6 time by day, u loose a lot of time like that, u need to be in the house and so on, is bored, so for the moment my 3 meal is something like 600/700 and after the shaker

i know food it is very important and iam carreful with that, even for the health you know, i dont want just to be bigger, i want learn how to eat good, without a lot of shit that they give to us

So i want make a good program. For the food i know how to deal with that.

We need also a lot of patience, it is not good i think to grow up so fast, it is better to not lost the advantage of our metabolism, if we are fast, later that will be good also for dont take to much fat

1 Like

Sounds like you’ve got a decent handle on it. I like this article for good food choices:

Obviously you’d be shooting for a surplus in calories.

1 Like

Thank i will read that and write in the same time.

Oil and coco it is good but colza also, i like mixte them, oil for green and rice, colza/coco for meet because the resistance is better when u want the leather, but in the fact a lot are good but monney hehe

Butter no, i dont drink milk and consome in any product or anything with that, (iam not vegan aha)

Fish it is great, especialy little fish, twice also more it is not good because of this shit of pollution.

Sweet potatoes is fucking good but no potatoes.
rice basmati especialy because of glycemic index but i like Thai is good and i dont fuck my head with that ^^ just need to be carreful when we clean the rice, infortunelty.

Veggie most better all of green veggie, because for the other veggie some of them, they have a kind of protection who fuck a bit your stomach but it depend, long to explain.

It is a good article but with the time we can learn more, about a lot of things, gluten, endocrine and so on.

One thing important maybe he says that but i miss it is to choice a good baking, like one of the best it is steamed especialy for veggie and meet.

https://www.seignalet.fr/en/the-seignalet-diet/practicing-the-diet/the-main-principles.html

This man was a really great doctor in my country but i didnt find the book in english, it is very interesting about a lot of things

Hi

Do u think that it is good, this structure ? i will do this one just 2 day by week, but when i read, i dont get completely the dropsets explanation.
monday same program, and friday i will change some exercices for the chest and so on.

Thank

1. Just run through programs off this site, either of these are a good start(or do one after the other)…
  1. Nowhere near the level to be doing dropsets/go beyond failure

2. Dont do skullcrushers more than once a week if stick to that original program, make something like rope pressdowns your main tricep move(murders your elbows)

Hi there,

I do disagree with the guys above about the 10reps. It’s not as simple as: do 10 reps and grow more. Nope not even close. Explanation:
To build big guys you need these things working as unified unit in your regime:

intensity(how hard you do it)
volume (how much you do it.)
Technique (how well you do it.)
Focus: (how hard or easy it’s to concentrate doing it optimally)
Exhaustion (how tired doing it makes your muscles?)
Rest (how much is required to recover from it.)

Rampant’s advice/recommendation is very solid here. It will produce results. The best ones in this Chain. Go with his advice If you wish to avoid lots of time doing things that don’t progress your physics in anyway: forget about exact range. Worst thing you can do is: exclude any method (even ultra low rep range) that produces good growth.

Frankly: doing 10 reps advice is both horrible and good piece of advice to any beginner. Explanation bellow:

Reason why 3 sets 10-reps and gazillion moves are recommended for beginner in most cookie cutter programs is that their technique isn’t good yet. The focus is terrible. And intensity is way off. And at least then it (probably) stimulates enough growth and can be recovered from in beginner stage.

However that advice quickly stops working. And that much relates to the list above. And yes: I can debate it.

Thx for your help

Total body training is interesting, but some study say that change the exercices it is not good also for the systeme nervous, because if you change all of the time, your body will not have the time to be prepare, and the other says no it is good.

Somethime it is just difficult, because some people say that, and the others say another things, how to choice after that, for that, the own experience is also essential, and i will try.

thank also for the skullcrushers, i will not do this exercice so much time.
For the isolation exercice the choice will depend of what we want to work, exemple if iam late about to my biceps and triceps i can all of the time work them and so on for the leg ect.

For the moment i will continu a bit the program of the video that i send, but i will do the parameter in this article, but soon i will leave my country for a time and i will change my program and use completely the " total body training " just 2x by weak and 1 time body weight so i need to ajust the program correctly because of that.

I do full body beacause i like also to have time, to work and so on. My goal it is to be atheletic and to be care, to be older without injury if i can, to make a strong body who can resist and to be a support in this life.

Soon i will make all of the video of my exercice for take your advices, again thank for your time and help.