Need Help with Muscle Gain

FFS, that’s 1300 calories. How the hell do you expect to be anything but skinny-fat / scrawny when you’re eating like that?

I agree 100% with everything said in this thread, I am a 200-400m sprinter and have weight trained along side the sprinting since I was 16 years old. You should be aiming for a program that will help your explosive power: Cleans, Snatches, Bench, Deadlifts, Squats Power press and plyometrics were on the cards for most of the season (i included some bi’s and tri’s for vanity and balance),couple that with a large number of Cals (you need to seriously up that your one right now) you will fill out and grow well.

Get to a gym and have your sprint coach or find a trainer to help with form and a program and you will be fine. In actual fact the programs I use for sprinting are remarkably similar to what CT puts out on here.

Get that diet in check and get to a gym, for the love of god ditch P90x. It will be detrimental for any sport and is designed for sedentary fat house wives. you need to lift heavy and explosively and eat like a beast.

Here is how I used to eat at Uni when I was training twice a day Weights AM sprints PM.

M1 Weight gainer =700KCals - oats, whey casein etc.

weight trained.
PWO 4-500kcal protein/dextrose drink.

M2 3 Large Jacket potatoes 2 chicken breasts, broccoli and peanut butter

M3 Rice, chicken, veg

M4 2 chicken breasts with 3 pieces of fruit.

M5 (pre sprints)
Oats, whey (30g) Raisens

sprint training
(BCAA’s in water bottle 3 litres throughout the session)

M6 Oats whey raisens as before

Bed: Casein drink 60g protein and peanut butter

That was to maintain a skinny frame. To grow I ate MUCH more.

I hope this gives you some percepective and useful info.

[quote]Grumpig Hunt wrote:

FFS, that’s 1300 calories. How the hell do you expect to be anything but skinny-fat / scrawny when you’re eating like that?[/quote]

Also, who says “around 119g”? How did you know it was 119g if you didn’t measure it?Then why say ‘around’?
I dunno…just sounded odd.

Wait, What?
Your a collegiate level sprinter?

I feel like I’m in a star-burst commercial because you are a walking contradiction.
Is the picture attached of your dad?

Your doing P90X but have access to a gym and your friends with trainers?
You did circuit training for a year and a half? That means you started when you were 18 went to college and your strength coach didn’t change anything?
You eat salads as a recovery meal but have access to college level sports nutritionists?
You got a hernia from circuit training?
You eat like a bird and sprint at a collegiate level?
You have the build of a distance runner but you sprint?
You eat 1300 calories a day and you want to gain muscle?
Your worried about a “wad of Fat” but also track performance?

All of this can not be true. Or, you need to transfer to a new college where they take care of their athletes.

This is what a collegiate sprinter looks like.

**And if you were wondering her thighs weigh approximately 132 pounds.

[quote]JLone wrote:
Wait, What?
Your a collegiate level sprinter?

I feel like I’m in a star-burst commercial because you are a walking contradiction.
Is the picture attached of your dad?

Your doing P90X but have access to a gym and your friends with trainers?
You did circuit training for a year and a half? That means you started when you were 18 went to college and your strength coach didn’t change anything?
You eat salads as a recovery meal but have access to college level sports nutritionists?
You got a hernia from circuit training?
You eat like a bird and sprint at a collegiate level?
You have the build of a distance runner but you sprint?
You eat 1300 calories a day and you want to gain muscle?
Your worried about a “wad of Fat” but also track performance?

All of this can not be true. Or, you need to transfer to a new college where they take care of their athletes.

[/quote]
This post is great and that pic makes it even better!

Your doing P90X but have access to a gym and your friends with trainers? Yes.
You did circuit training for a year and a half? That means you started when you were 18 went to college and your strength coach didn’t change anything? I incorporate the track lifting workouts - i.e the hang cleans, dead lifts, etc

You eat salads as a recovery meal but have access to college level sports nutritionists? No. I used to when I first started - two years ago.
You got a hernia from circuit training? Yes - that and track combined. At least that’s what the doctor said. Sounded probable.
You eat like a bird and sprint at a collegiate level? Yes. 11.02 PR in the 100m.

You have the build of a distance runner but you sprint? Yes. :slight_smile:
You eat 1300 calories a day and you want to gain muscle? No. I’m asking wonderful people like yourself to guide me - hopefully without bashing someone who merely wants help.
Your worried about a “wad of Fat” but also track performance? no.

this is turning nasty and im starting to feel alot of agression towards the op now GROUP HUG everybody to restore calm and good will … salads are good ask shuggs

^^ Thank you! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]saadtalha wrote:
I’m asking wonderful people like yourself to guide me - hopefully without bashing someone who merely wants help.
[/quote]
Ok, I will finish helping.

Antman and LiquidMercury(LM) on page 1 gave you the information you need. In a slight discrepancy from LM I would aim for 225 grams of protein, 300 grams of carbs and 90 grams of fat per day. This will put you at 2,910 calories per day. As the old expression goes, “dress for the job you want not the job you have.” In gaining mass you eat for the body you want not the one you have. This means that when you make your calculations about the amount of food you need each day use a body weight figure like 150. In the recommendation above 150 x 1.5 equals your protein intake. I would start by increasing protein immediately alone with your fats. From there bring up your carbs by about 40/day per week until you reach your max number which is 300 in this case.

Take this amount of calories and split it into a meal plan that looks like Antman’s using the list of food’s on LM’s post. Rice, potatoes, evoo, coconut oil, chicken, pork, fish, beef, whole eggs, etc.

This is all the explanation you need. The next step is to make the changes and use willpower to see it through. To paraphrase a quote, don’t do what you have always done or you will get what you have always gotten.

If your built like a distance runner but sprint and have a 100m time of 11.02 you are almost exactly like me. How tall are you? If you want, drop me a PM with stats I will put a weight and diet program together for you. I have a lot of experience with sprinters diets and training, providing plans for the othe members of the team and coaching the explosive lifts. Also, I have been perfecting training my own build since I started. I know how this body type responds and really want to help as I know where you are coming from.

Although I am not a collegiate level sprinter, I ran the 800, 400, and competed in the shot and disc through high school (tried out at VT but couldn’t get to a 49’ 400). I was never amazing or anything so you can take my advice with a grain of salt. However, when I started really weight training and stopped worrying about fat loss (squats, deads, etc) my times improved drastically. As a student athlete at VT, I have the opportunity to train with the track team quite often. Let me tell you, they train hard and know how to EAT. So my advice is simple and I will really just be repeating what everyone else has said:

1. Drop P90X, read Dan John, and lift heavy shit
  2. Squats, Hang Snatch, Cleans, and Jerks/Presses are your friends
  3. If your in college, find a cheap all you can eat dining hall or something and go at least once a week
  4. Lastly, for cheap college foods that are good for clean gains:
    -eggs
    -oats
    -sweet potatoes
    -Biotest proteins/SURGE (Surge isnt cheap but for PWO its amazing)
    -bulk chicken breast
    -ground beef

Edit: Should also mention that based on my name you can see that I ran XC also. Now I compete in weightlifting at 85 kg. I still have weight to gain but I understand your struggle a bit I think.

Hey, guys, so I don’t know what really happened, but I went to the gym today, weighed myself, and it showed 62 kgs = 136 pounds. So, the scales are definitely tipping in the right direction. I also made a FitDay account so I wouldn’t mess up my meal tracking.

Check it out. I’m easing into the “eating more” phase, cuz I don’t want to overdo it, and end up being a chubby. :stuck_out_tongue:

Peace.

[quote]saadtalha wrote:
Hey, guys, so I don’t know what really happened, but I went to the gym today, weighed myself, and it showed 62 kgs = 136 pounds. So, the scales are definitely tipping in the right direction. I also made a FitDay account so I wouldn’t mess up my meal tracking.

Check it out. I’m easing into the “eating more” phase, cuz I don’t want to overdo it, and end up being a chubby. :stuck_out_tongue:

Peace.

Also, today was a day I was heavily reliant on shakes for my protein, as you can see. Don’t worry. I’ll be getting my protein from whole sources. Meat, and all.[/quote]

I’ve actually taken the time to read through this entire thread, and I have to say, I’m scared for you. Good luck, because you’re gonna need it.

Luke

And another that ignores advice.

Here is the answer you want.

You are doing amazing and keep up the anorexic diet.

[quote]JFG wrote:

You are doing amazing and keep up the anorexic diet. [/quote]

Advice? Ahaha, that’s good. All you people’ve been doing is flaming out at me for no reason. Way to help out a beginner, folks! :smiley:

Yes, I don’t understand what you guys want me to do. Doesn’t give you the right to be douchebags. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the heartfelt sarcasm, and witty shit. :slight_smile:

[quote]Grumpig Hunt wrote:

FFS, that’s 1300 calories. How the hell do you expect to be anything but skinny-fat / scrawny when you’re eating like that?[/quote]

thats actually a single post-trainging meal for me

[quote]saadtalha wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:

Advice? Ahaha, that’s good. All you people’ve been doing is flaming out at me for no reason. Way to help out a beginner, folks! :smiley:

Yes, I don’t understand what you guys want me to do. Doesn’t give you the right to be douchebags. :slight_smile:

[/quote]
Good job using 3 emoticons in one post.

[quote]saadtalha wrote:

Peace.[/quote]

Yes, that is a good breakfast.

[quote]saadtalha wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:

[/quote]

You were given the advice of eating more. We are talking in excess of 1700. More like 3000. That would be a good start.

My very first advice, after asking the owner of the supplement store what I should take to get bigger was this:

Eat more, lift more and sleep more.

Wish I would have listen to him that day.

Have fun realizing it years later.