Need Help with Lab Results

I’m male, 45 y/o, 6’2" and 360lbs. After being a useless blob for most of my life I’ve decide to start lifting and exercising to get in shape. I thought getting a blood test bofore I started would be a good idea to see if anything was wrong. It looks like there is. Here are the results:

[snip]

After looking on the web, I think most of the ones that are high or low are due to me being overweight and my diet. The testosterone and prolactin ones though are really out of whack. What could be wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Antibodies and CRP indicate a low level infection and inflammatory problems.
This needs more investigation.

High prolactin is lowering LH/FSH thus lowering T.
High prolactin will be lowering dopamine and taking joy/reward out of your life; may be some depression.

Prolactin probably elevated by a prolactin secreting pituitary adinoma. If advanced, you might notice a reduction in width of peripheral vision which should be near 180 degrees. You need a MRI to image the pituitary.

Prolactin secreting adinomas can be treated and shrunk by 0.5mg/week Dostinex/cabergoline.

You have some diabetes going on and need to alter diet to avoid simple carbs.

TRT can improve insulin sensitivity.

Get homocysteine tested which indicates inflammatory processes in arteries.

You have low thyroid function. TSH should be closer to 1.0 and fT3, fT4 should be near mid range. Thyroid is very important to metabolic rate and fat gain/loss. Low thyroid function can be caused by not using iodized salt. Body temperatures are an excellent indicator of thyroid function.

Follow these links found here: The 3 Big Benefits of Vitamin K, and How to Get the Right Amount | livestrong
advice for new guys
things that damage your hormones
protocol for injections
thyroid basics explained - report oral body temperatures as suggested

Supplements:
calcium magnesium
high potency B complex multi-vit with iodine+selenium
EFA’s fish oil, nuts, flax seed oil/meal
natural source Vit-E
5000-6000 iu Vit-D3, find tiny oil based caps
Vit-C and other antioxidants
olive oil and other health fats

Do you have heart burn and take nexium?

2 Likes

Thanks for the help. I definitely need to change my diet. My body temp is 98.6, maybe 98.8. It’s hard to read the thermometer. I don’t have heart burn or take nexium.

*edited to add *

One thing I forgot to mention is that even though my test levels are really low, I don’t have a problem getting an erection or any sex related problems.

Agree with ksman 100%. You likely have a pituitary tumor that you should have treated, as your prolactin is very high.

Did your doctor not mention this?

You might be pleasantly surprised when you get some of these hormone problems straightened out.

1 Like

Did your doctor not mention this?

I got the blood test on my own. I’ll see an endocrinologist and get an MRI.

1 Like

I didn’t think so either, but my performance has vastly improved since I have started my therapy.

Apparently, my frog was boiled slowly…

Can anyone recommend an endocrinologist in the Chicago area?

I know about KSman’s finding a TRT doctor thread but I thought I’d ask too.

I’ve been reading about high prolactin levels and have noticed a few things. I’ve read that exercise before taking the blood test can raise the level. I’ve also read that stress and sleep problems can raise it too.

I sleep, not very deeply, about 5 or 6 hours a night and usually wake up briefly a couple of times a night. My sleep is messed up. To get to the doctor’s office to get my blood drawn I had to walk around 2/3 of a mile. I did it at a brisk pace and, if it matters, I stopped for a minute along the way because my back cramped up due to sitting in a bad office chair before I left. Also my diet could be better and I haven’t started exercising yet.

If I watch what I eat, sleep for 8-9 hours a night and get a ride to get my blood drawn, if I get retested in a month, is it possible my prolactin level could be noticeably lower?

Ok, some things can raise or lower hormone levels. But that prolactin level is damn high.

Pituitary tumors respond well to treatment.

Get yourself to a doctor.

So I saw a endocrinologist and got an MRI. He put me on 0.5mg/week Dostinex/cabergoline. I started on that 6/4. I can tell it’s helping. I’m “pleasantly surprised”. :wink:

I had the MRI on 6/18 (*). The endo said the radiologist told him I don’t have a prolactinoma and my pituitary is fine, but there might be something on my pineal gland. He wants me to have a brain MRI.

Anyone familiar with a situation like this?

(*) When you call to schedule the MRI, tell them how big you are and ask if you’ll fit in their machine. It might save you a ton of aggravation.

I have seen @KSMan recommend a certain type of MRI that is good at picking out small tumors. I don’t recall the specifcs.

Sounds like the doctor is actively trying to track down your problem, so that’s good.

Glad to hear the drugs are helping too.