Need Help with Grip

I was going to put this in my log, but I thought more people might read it here.

I’ve never had a great grip, which I put down to having tennis elbow a few times in the past, but I’ve noticed recently that the last 2 fingers on my left hand open on higher rep deadlifts causing me to lose my grip (thumb and first two fingers are fine). It seems to be more to do with timescale than the weight I’m using. It doesn’t happen on my right hand.

I want to do the work to sort it out, but I don’t know what exercises to do. Is it more likely to be a weakness with my hand or my forearms?

Any insight would be appreciated.

I like pinching weights. I’ll grab two 10s with each hand and pinch them together. I try to work up from there. I also like to hold onto my deadlifts at the top for a count of 20 or so.

james

Kroc Rows and Farmers walk will both help with your grip.

I like the same two lifts Dave mentioned for grip. Chalk also works miracles if you aren’t using it.

Hex dumbbell holds are a good test. Plate pinching and farmers walks as previously stated are also great.
Maybe work down from the three?

1. Farmers walks
  2. DB hold
  3. Plate pinch
    Just a thought

Wrist curls. Anyone like those?

But I probably shouldn’t be chiming in since I don’t move enough weight to ever have my grip be the weak link.

use on of these as a finger strengthening tool

let me try this again

also heavy high rep curls/hammer curls, as well as the rows/farmers walks, etc. And when pulling, chalk the inside of your fingers as well.

Here you go Brett- heavy weight (tension) under time builds great grip strength.

1. Cheap and easy pt 1- Go to a chinup bar and just hang for time. do 3 daily. ( do for 3 weeks)
    2.Cheap and easy pt 2- while doing the hangs release one hand for 5 seconds and alternate hands. Protocol same as pt1 ( do for one month)
    3… still cheap and easy–throw a towel over the bar (beach/bath towel) and hang for time or try doing some pullups. Do these instead of your pullups. don’t feel bad when 3 reps are taking the piss out of you!

2. finally have to pay some money-- buy fat grips and do all your small work with them ie: curls, dumdbell work, light rows, shrugs (my favorite) etc.

3. Heavy farmer walks .
    I developed extensive nerve damage in my right hand from the Pacemaker install so my grip was tested on a PSI gripper and my left was somewhere around 180 and my right was down to 65. Now after doing the rehab as descibed my right is back up to 170 and left is around 200.

Hope this helps

Rick

Edited

Thanks for the quick feedback everyone.

I particularly liked the chalking the inside of the fingers idea. I never thought of that, but it makes complete sense and the pull ups off towels sounds like a good exercise too. I’ll definitely be trying some of these.

Just ordered some Fat gripz too, should be here by Friday.

Some more questions…

I’ve already started using heavy one arm DB rows (Kroc rows), but am only getting 10 or so reps. I read that Kroc rows should be done for 25 reps or more, should I lower the weight so I can get more reps or just continue with the same weight?

and Rick, as far as programming goes what do you recommend for frequency?

Thanks again.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
[/quote]

Greatly underrated exercise :slight_smile:

Programming Oh the hangs–Daily

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

But I probably shouldn’t be chiming in since I don’t move enough weight to ever have my grip be the weak link.[/quote]

I have, but they didn’t do diddly for my grip.

Pete and Fischer nailed it

towel pull ups are a long judo and wrestling standby

typically my grip is pretty decent- judo-wrstling- physical -job
big hand and big forearms seem to help

one nugget that I have used for many years

is to do pullups with tennis balls in your hands on top of the bar.
its great

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:
Thanks for the quick feedback everyone.

I particularly liked the chalking the inside of the fingers idea. I never thought of that, but it makes complete sense and the pull ups off towels sounds like a good exercise too. I’ll definitely be trying some of these.

Just ordered some Fat gripz too, should be here by Friday.

Some more questions…

I’ve already started using heavy one arm DB rows (Kroc rows), but am only getting 10 or so reps. I read that Kroc rows should be done for 25 reps or more, should I lower the weight so I can get more reps or just continue with the same weight?

and Rick, as far as programming goes what do you recommend for frequency?

Thanks again.[/quote]

the Kroc row phase led to a lot of people rowing a lot with really shitty form. I am having better progress now just taking a weight I could do for say 30 reps, but keeping good form, and going back and forth with little rest for sets of ten

and seriously, every lifter who I have had who missed a pull due to grip, if we chalk the inside of the pinky and other fingers, he fucking nails it

[quote]PeteS wrote:
the Kroc row phase led to a lot of people rowing a lot with really shitty form. I am having better progress now just taking a weight I could do for say 30 reps, but keeping good form, and going back and forth with little rest for sets of ten
[/quote]

Quoted for truth, big man.

Fat Gripz helped my foremarms get more jacked looking, but don’t seem to have helped my deadlift grip any. I think Fat Gripz also help to avoid the repetitive stress thing.

towel pullups are a particularly nasty form of hell.

I got these.
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=223&m=PD&pid=1168
I didn’t use them enough, but still made progress…
Seemed to help the forearm tendon issues.

My son(16) uses them more then I.