Need Help with Goals and Gaining Mass

I’m 16 and I play football I’m 140 lbs and want to get up to 200lbs but without losing my awesome speed and the way I understand it slow twitch for mass and fast twitch for strength. I want to put ON mass but still be filled with fast twitch muscle fibers for strength. I eat healthy all the time.

I just started lifting this year I can bEnch 120-130- goal 220 can squat 180-200 goal 320 can deadlift 180-200 goal 320 I can do chi ups with about 50-60 extra pounds. Goal is 100 I can plank with about 180 lbs on my back for about 10 to.20 secs. I run about a 4.6-4.8 and want to get to 4.2 all while increasing strength and gaining weight. I can Olympic lift to 45 lbs max on each side. Advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Do you have a question?

I think he’s trying to ask for some advice on how to achieve these goals.Can’t tell you much about maintaining speed when you gain 60 pounds of weight, but I can tell you, I’ve gained 50 pounds and I’m much less enduring and fast than when I was at 135lbs.

I recommend training your fast twitch muscle fibers. Look into some of Chad Waterbury’s articles, and if you want to keep your sprint time or improve it you should keep some low distance sprints in your training. (or add them) Clean and jerks, and snatches (with a barbell) are also things that will be beneficial to learn how to do. (it sounded as if you used kettle bells, or dumbells for them) I will withdraw what I have said if someone more experienced or knowledgeable posts. I myself am a small guy, and have great endurance/speed so I can’t really say anything on how the weight gain will effect you other than, your heart will have to work harder to accommodate the extra weight, and you have more mass to move.

[quote]Zerpp wrote:
I think he’s trying to ask for some advice on how to achieve these goals.Can’t tell you much about maintaining speed when you gain 60 pounds of weight, but I can tell you, I’ve gained 50 pounds and I’m much less enduring and fast than when I was at 135lbs.[/quote]

Gotcha. It’s just kinda hard to tell if there’s a specific question in there or just wanting general advice.

If this is your question OP, here’s my advice:

Lift weights, get strong
Run fast
Eat a lot of good food

It really is that simple. Your coaches will be able to handle all of the programming for you. Just work hard and get better. Do not worry about fast twitch versus slow twitch. That’s such a small detail it doesn’t matter. Don’t worrying about losing all of your speed by getting bigger. You will get faster when you gain strength and muscle. I ran a 5.5 when I started lifting, now I’m more than twice as strong and around 55 pounds heavier, and now I run a 4.8 something.

Also, you might wanna think about that 4.2 goal. The fastest 40 yard dash ever recorded is slower than that.

Weights will not build / affext hypertrophy on slow twich muscle fibre, only fast twich.

[quote]leon36 wrote:
Weights will not build / affext hypertrophy on slow twich muscle fibre, only fast twich.[/quote]

Are you serious? Is this really a serious statement? You’re not even trying to make sense anymore.

[quote]JMike21 wrote:

the way I understand it slow twitch for mass and fast twitch for strength. I want to put ON mass but still be filled with fast twitch muscle fibers for strength.[/quote]
The less you think about fast or slow twitch muscle fibers, the better off you’ll be. Seriously.

Not only is it incredibly difficult to know how much of which muscle fibers people actually have, but the overwhelming majority of coaches and trainers simply don’t sit down and say, “Okay, today’s workout will address the fast twitch muscles, we’ll fix the slow twitch muscles in another session.” It’s essentially a non-issue, especially for where you are right now.

What exactly does this mean?

Read anything by Dan John, Joe DeFranco, and Jim Wendler. All of them have a bunch of experience in creating strong, fast, powerful young athletes.

But to get your mind right for the next few years, I suggest reading this first:

I second DeFranco, especially for football.

40’s overrated, work on your 5-10-5