T Nation

Need Help With Diet Plateau

Hi,

I have a male friend who is having problems with losing fat.

He’s 28 years old, 175cm and 73kgs. He has between 12 - 13 % fat ( Tanita scale ).

He used to be fatter ( 89kg ) about 5 years ago since then he started biking on a stationary bike ( about 5-6 times a week for 45 minutes ). And doing some weight lifting ( 2-3 times a week 10-12 reps range ) total body and also split programs.

This is how he got where he is now. 73 kg and his waist ( widest ) 94 cm. Since then he’s been plateauing.
He also started running 2-3 times per week plus twice biking. The rest of the day he spends in front of a PC with very little physical activity.

OK. His diet is little special. He eats between 1400 - 1600 calories on average. He doesn’t like veggies or salads or fruit. So his diet goes like this:

morning:nothing ( he says he’s not hungry )
lunch 13.30 plate of pasta or rice with 2 eggs or some meat
or sometimes noodles with chicken and green pepper, onion …
1 can of coca cola
dinner 18.00 2 slices of bread with pate or 3 fried eggs.

And that is IT.

I know this is ridicules but that is all he eats well not ALL there is little more variety than this.

Thanks for your help.

Did you have a question?

Yes, that’s a horrible diet… why drink coke if you’re trying to lose weight?

Yes, I do have a question. How can he work his way towards a six pack?

Thank you.

He’s 5’8"ish, 160lbs. Look up pictures of MMA fighters in the same category. You will notice (at least, you should notice), the amount of muscle. Your friend needs more muscle. Get him on a program (full body, BB split, WS4SB, etc). Full body and splits programs in the 10-12 rep range sounds like he just putters in the gym. Use the search function.

His diet sucks so bad, it’s not even funny. Fix that. Use the search function.

If he actually works out like you say, runs 2-3 times a week and bikes, he needs to seriously look at his diet. Or lack there of.

Sooooo…he’s trying to lose weight but

1. Doesn’t eat breakfast
  2. Drinks pop
  3. Eats little vegetables
  4. Eats bread daily

Wow, ok

1. Knock it off with all the cardio. 3x a week for 30 min at medium intensity is plenty. Too much cardio wrecks your overall muscle mass and your hormone profile (i.e. gets you weak and tired)
  2. Lift heavy and often. 3-6 weight lifting sessions a week (about 60 min each). Lift heavier, compound lifts, with less reps and enough volume (so 6-8 sets of 3-6 reps deadlift/ squat/ overhead press, etc.) You can add beach muscle/ assistance exercises in the 8-12 rep. range. Get Wendler’s 5/3/1 book or something similar, read it and act on it.
  3. Lower your carb intake and eat a fuckton more eggs and meat. He seems to like eggs, so make a 6-8 egg omelet with meat and veggies for lunch and dinner for example.
  4. Have a protein supplement before and after weight training. Add a Spike before a heavy weight session, better than Coke.
  5. Take Carbolin 19 for a few months, but only while eating more.
  6. Don’t think cardio and a low fat/ high carb diet will help you get healthy, muscular and lean. Educate yourself.

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Sooooo…he’s trying to lose weight but

1. Doesn’t eat breakfast
  2. Drinks pop
  3. Eats little vegetables
  4. Eats bread daily[/quote]

I said his diet was special. I agree that he is skinny fat. He should
Put on more muscle and reduce cardio.
There is one problem with lifting heavy. He gets sore shoulders, well
the front part of them where the pectoral inserts into his arm when
doing bw push ups or heavy bench presses. He has imbalances from
all the sitting in front of the PC.

So going heavy might be dangerous because of his form but yes
I can see this might be his only solution. I would really have to watch
his form.

[quote]Lucie wrote:

his form.[/quote]

That’s for benching. What about his squats, deadlifts and chinups? (Assuming he does them in the first place)

He doesn’t need to bench. For overall muscularity deadlift and squat will do a lot more for him. If it’s just pec inserts he could work on combining a clean with an overhead press and adding some floor presses as assistance. Throw in some pull ups and presto.
Try focusing on what’s possible and not the problems.

[quote]Lucie wrote:

his form.[/quote]

Dude, unless you were an athlete in your youth and had a great S&C coach who also taught you great form on the main lifts and told you how to stay flexible, this applies to pretty much everyone nowadays. Whenever something applies to most everyone nowadays, it cannot seriously be used as an excuse.

Get your friend to learn flexibility training on his own or get a PT or a coach to help him with it.