T Nation

Need Help with Cutting Diet

Heres my info… age 20, workout 5 days a week, try to do cardio twice a week after workout
6ft 181LBS, BMR-1,960 CALS, body fat 10.8%.
Eating whole foods mainly chicken and tuna, 200 grams of protein, 80 grams of carbs, and 60 grams of fat a day. Anything i should be doing else to put me on the right road to see some results?Can’t seem to cut down my body fat percentage anymore, looking for experienced advice. Thanks

Why are you trying to cut down your bodyfat percentage?

You are eating WAY too little for your size. 80g of carbs a day isn’t functional. Your metabolism is probably too run down, depending on how long you’ve been at this extreme of a deficit. I would work on slowly upping your calories over time, you’re not going to lose any more fat from more cardio / decreased calories.

The main reason I am trying to get to the single digit body fat percentage is to see more muscle definition and look better… thats why ecchastang. Should I not be cutting down? And cxtucker how much more calories should I consume? Since right now im probably at 1,500cals a day. And I would like to get an opinion on the “6 meals a day” concept cause I dont do that and I read so many different views on here about that.

[quote]bradrmz wrote:
…how much more calories should I consume? Since right now im probably at 1,500cals a day. And I would like to get an opinion on the “6 meals a day” concept cause I dont do that and I read so many different views on here about that. [/quote]

IMO…10 calories per pound of body-weight is ‘absolute’ bottom for a lifter in your condition w/your stated goal.

The number of meals per day is not nearly as important as the daily calories and macro %s.

[quote]bradrmz wrote:
And cxtucker how much more calories should I consume? Since right now im probably at 1,500cals a day.[/quote]
Check these articles and the concept of ELEL/EMEM:

http://www.T-Nation.com/diet-fat-loss/truth-about-metabolic-damage

You’re already on a low-calorie, low-carb diet while doing 7 training sessions (total) per week. You have to ask yourself, where do you go from here to bump progress? Drop calories even more? Train even more and/or harder? You kinda painted yourself into a corner, but it’s certainly fixable.

6 meals a day works for some people, 3 meals a day and a workout shake works for some people. Neither is definitively 100% better than the other.

Intermittent Fasting works for some people too, but it generally requires very frequent monitoring of progress and making adjustments as needed. Also, in my experience, it’s easier to “rationalize” poor food choices during the feeding phase because you’re literally starving and so hungry you want to gorge on everything. Some people do thrive on IF, but it does take a certain mindset/personality type.

You will do damage at that few calories. When I need to drop a little weight for a competition, I back off to about 2500 kcal per day, and you are bigger than I am. What does your training look like? what are your workouts and cardio?

My workout is usually 1 hour long cause I dont like to stand around. But heres an idea of my training. I should probably bump up my calories alot so I dont do to much damage then.

Monday- chest, calves, and abs!
Incline dumbbell press 4 sets 15,12,12,11(reps)
Machine press 4 sets 15,14,12,12
Calf raise 3 sets to failure
decline press 4 sets 12,12,11,8
Chest flys 4 sets 15,14,12,10
And 3 ab workouts to failure

Tuesday- arms
seated bicep curl to failure
drag curl 3 sets 12,10,8
Close grip press 3 sets 10,10,6
Tricep kickback 3 sets 15,15,12
Reverse bicep curl 3 sets 12,10,10

And so on…etc
should i be doing more exercises or longer time in the gym??

[quote]bradrmz wrote:
My workout is usually 1 hour long cause I dont like to stand around. But heres an idea of my training. I should probably bump up my calories alot so I dont do to much damage then.

Monday- chest, calves, and abs!

Edit…bunch of bro stuff

Tuesday- arms
Edit…bunch of bro stuff
And so on…etc

should i be doing more exercises or longer time in the gym??
[/quote]

What does “And so on…etc” mean? Are you just repeating the two workouts every other day? Are those two workouts your cardio also? Do you do anything for your legs besides three sets of calf raises? Back? Posterior chain?

What are your short, medium and long term goals? Do you want to be bigger? Stronger? Leaner? Be specific.

No dude… I just didnt want to bore you with a full workout schedule of 5 days. I wouldn’t have any shoulders or back if I just did those workouts ha. Also no thats not the cardio… 20 mintues on the elliptical hard resistance…

To be specific my goal right now is to cut down as much bf as I can to be… yes leaner. Then my long term goal is a 12 week cycle on test 500. Where I bulk over 4,000 calories

[quote]bradrmz wrote:
Heres my info… age 20, workout 5 days a week, try to do cardio twice a week after workout
6ft 181LBS, BMR-1,960 CALS, body fat 10.8%.
Eating whole foods mainly chicken and tuna, 200 grams of protein, 80 grams of carbs, and 60 grams of fat a day. Anything i should be doing else to put me on the right road to see some results?Can’t seem to cut down my body fat percentage anymore, looking for experienced advice. Thanks[/quote]

What weight did you start your diet at? 1500 cals is pretty low, to avoid health problems, I would eat maintenance calories for a bit then maybe push again after a few months

Since no one else pointed it out, that ain’t 10.8% BF. No way.