T Nation

Need Help With Clean Diet

I have been lifting for about 19 months now and have been pretty good about my routines (lifting and eating). I have just recently changed my diet to include quite a bit more protein over the last 2 weeks. The reason I added more into my diet is because I was only taking about 1 shake (post workout) a day and realized I prolly wasn’t getting over 165g of protein on average.

I also have been somewhat at a plateau in my lifting for the last three or four months. I realize this could be from my routines, but that is a separate issue. I change my routines every 5-8 weeks. Vary intensity, vary frequency and shift from bodybuilding to strength training.

Why change now? I feel I could progress faster or more efficiently. These have been my average meals during the course of a week:

Breakfast 7:30am:

Egg Whites x 6
Wheat Bread x 4
Grape Juice x 8oz

Snack Before Lunch 9:30:
Micellar protein shake 50g

Lunch 11:30:

Wheat Sandwichx2
(Roast Beef or Turkey+lettuce+mustard)
3-4 slices of thick meat.
Chicken Teriyaki x 8-10oz

Snack After Lunch 2:00:
Banana x 1
Micellar protein shake 50g

Dinner 5:00:

Chicken Breast(or Salmon/Pork) x2 4-6oz
Corn x 1cup
Noodles(some butter) x 1cup
Apple x 1

Pre-Workout Shake 6:30:
Micellar Protein x 50g

Workout 7:15-8:30 approx

Post-Workout Shake 8:45:
Whey Protein 42g

Pre-Bed Shake 9:45
Micellar Protein x50g

My micellar protein is Muscle Milk (just read article about glycocyamine after finding out how good I think this stuff tastes =/) so it has more fat than average protein. About 27g per shake. Only 18g carbs per shake.

Now my question is: Should I be getting more carbs? I know there is no average protein amount, and each person has different levels their body can use. Could this be overkill? I haven’t been gaining weight, but I also have cut out a little more of the fatty foods(bad fats), gatorades, and sugars.

I ask because I have noticed that the few eating plans I have seen, have carbs considerably higher than protein/fats. I believe my ratio has protein considerably higher than carbs, and possibly fats in 2nd? I am hoping some of you experienced guys can throw some info my way. Hope I didn’t forget anything. I will be more than happy to answer any training or diet questions if I left anything out. Thanks guys…

Saw in your profile you’re 6’0" and 190. Is this accurate to this day? Also, what goals are you looking to accomplish? What is your current activity level and workout routine?

You have not just cut out bad fats you screwed up and cut out all fats the only bad fats are trans fats you have a sheer lack of fats in your diet except one mention of a little butter then the small amout you get from the lean meats.

You need more fats of all good sources, PUFA, MUFA, and sats. Eat some nuts, olive oil, fish, oil, eggs, etc etc…

[quote]Phill wrote:
You have not just cut out bad fats you screwed up and cut out all fats the only bad fats are trans fats you have a sheer lack of fats in your diet except one mention of a little butter then the small amout you get from the lean meats.

You need more fats of all good sources, PUFA, MUFA, and sats. Eat some nuts, olive oil, fish, oil, eggs, etc etc…[/quote]

I couldn’t agree with this more.

Also, what should be just as big a concern is why you took 3 or 4 months on a plateau to decide to do something about it.

[quote]Phill wrote:

You need more fats of all good sources, PUFA, MUFA, and sats. Eat some nuts, olive oil, fish, oil, eggs, etc etc…[/quote]

this jumped at me also. have at least 1 whole egg with your egg whites. nuts are a good snack. Flax meal is good source of omega3s, i put some in my prebed shake. Natural peanut butter. You could supplement with Fish caps. Sardines, tuna, crab… Calculate your P F C ratios if you want to have an approx idea where youre at, CPF = 50 30 20 or CPF = 40 40 20 recommended.

I am pretty much a beginner like you but have gotten great advice from here and bodybuilders.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Saw in your profile you’re 6’0" and 190. Is this accurate to this day? Also, what goals are you looking to accomplish? What is your current activity level and workout routine?[/quote]

Yes still accurate. My goals are to make big strength gains and some size. I would say somewhere between bodybuilding and powerlifting. I don’t just want size, I want to be strong also.

My current routine is:

Monday - Chest routine 4 exercise, 4 sets, pyramid up in reps. (6/8/10/10)
Tuesday - Back “” “”
Wed - Off
Thursday - Shoulders same thing + 2 exercises for traps too
Friday - Legs
Sat - Bi’s and Tri’s " "
Sun - Off

I include Deadlifts, bench presses, squats. Most of the core lifts.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Phill wrote:

You need more fats of all good sources, PUFA, MUFA, and sats. Eat some nuts, olive oil, fish, oil, eggs, etc etc…

I couldn’t agree with this more.

Also, what should be just as big a concern is why you took 3 or 4 months on a plateau to decide to do something about it.[/quote]

Unfortunately it was more a denial thing. I was just assuming I was using a poor routine or it was just a phase I was in and would break out of it in a week or 2. Newbie mistake =/

[quote]hit the gym wrote:
Phill wrote:

this jumped at me also. have at least 1 whole egg with your egg whites. nuts are a good snack. Flax meal is good source of omega3s, i put some in my prebed shake. Natural peanut butter. You could supplement with Fish caps. Sardines, tuna, crab… Calculate your P F C ratios if you want to have an approx idea where youre at, CPF = 50 30 20 or CPF = 40 40 20 recommended.

I am pretty much a beginner like you but have gotten great advice from here and bodybuilders.[/quote]

Right now I eat at a chow hall in Iraq. I can get the amount of calories per serving, but not the amount of fat/carbs/protein. I guess I will have to look up a site with generic listings of food and amounts?

Also, I don’t know if any of you could tell just from my diet, but how much more fats do you think I need? Eat more whole eggs in the morning? Start adding flax seed to a few of my shakes? Thanks for the help so far guys, I really appreciate it.