Need Help With Blood Results

I just received the results from blood testing and I am hoping someone can shed some light. Some background - 36 years old, 5’10", 180 lbs, constantly tired, low libido (actually desire is there but no cooperation), mental fog, joint pains, aches etc.

Estradiol - 33 (20-75 pg/ml)
Free T - 117.3 (35-155)
Total T - 453 (250-1,100)

Thyroid Stim Hormone - 1.265 .35-5.5
FreeT4 - 1 ng/dl (.6-1.6 ng/dl)
T3 total- 100 (60-180 ng/dl)

Past saliva testing has shown elevated DHEA (12 3-10 ng/ml), Estradiol (16 1-3 pg/dl), DHT (87 22-72 PG/ML) and Adrenal fatigue with low flat lined cortisol levels.

My doctor says my current hormones are all completely acceptable and are in no way contributing to my issues.

Questions - 1. E2 seems high to me based on reading here and other sites. Correct?
2. If my Free T is good,as it appears to be, does it matter if Total T is low?
3. any other ideas or questions that should be addressed?

Thanks in advance

I’ve never heard of salivary hormone testing. Why/how did you get that done?

[quote]Muskulls wrote:
I’ve never heard of salivary hormone testing. Why/how did you get that done?[/quote]

“Alternative” doctor I went to claimed they are more accurate than serum tests since the salivary glands excrete only the free forms of hormones. Money maker for him to be sure, but alot of info points to it being more accurate, but then again some docs argue that saliva is more heavily influenced by dilution due to hydration levels and may skew results.

Answer to question 1. Yes, your E2 level is higher than optimal, but the bigger problem is the ratio of T to E2.
Your T level is suboptimal as you know, and if you were to use an estrogen reducing compound you would probably start to feel a little better.

1. Once again it’s the ratio of T to E2 you have, not just free T numbers.

3.I wish you had current numbers for DHEA, Cortisol, and DHT as well. By having flat line cortisol test results, most would say get on DHEA, DLPA, Isocort, and something to reduce the DHT levels, but we don’t have those current results…

If your doctor won’t prescribe Cortef to help get your adrenals working again, you might try DLPA and Isocort.

I wonder what your glucose levels are, as sometimes insulin resistance will cause elevated DHEA levels.

Your being 5’10" and 180, doesn’t appear you are over weight; but I wonder do you crave sugar? After eating carbs do you get sleepy? Do you crave sugar? Do you have fat on your back like little wings? Just curious…

Needed another post to not be at three sixes.

[quote]KNB wrote:
Answer to question 1. Yes, your E2 level is higher than optimal, but the bigger problem is the ratio of T to E2.
Your T level is suboptimal as you know, and if you were to use an estrogen reducing compound you would probably start to feel a little better.

1. Once again it’s the ratio of T to E2 you have, not just free T numbers.

3.I wish you had current numbers for DHEA, Cortisol, and DHT as well. By having flat line cortisol test results, most would say get on DHEA, DLPA, Isocort, and something to reduce the DHT levels, but we don’t have those current results…

If your doctor won’t prescribe Cortef to help get your adrenals working again, you might try DLPA and Isocort.

I wonder what your glucose levels are, as sometimes insulin resistance will cause elevated DHEA levels.

Your being 5’10" and 180, doesn’t appear you are over weight; but I wonder do you crave sugar? After eating carbs do you get sleepy? Do you crave sugar? Do you have fat on your back like little wings? Just curious…[/quote]

Your last paragraph describes me to a T. I don’t have much fat but I would say most is around the back love handles and under my shoulder blades. I have always craved sugar but if I eat simple carbs there are times when I will damn near fall into a coma fairly quickly. Carbs also wreak havoc on my triglycerides and cholesterol (Tri have been 2800 and Cholesterol 350) if I don’t stay on a low carb diet. Have had blood sugar tested but they said I was fine.

I dont have those current numbers but as it is, I wake up ok but around noon give or take an hour, my eyes get blurry and I feel like someone has pulled the plug. Absolutely no energy.

Should I tackle adrenals and E2 levels concurrently or focus on one? Any specific recommendations for getting the E2 down? I watch my diet, don’t have much fat to lose, don’t drink much and take DIM based on previous recommendation of my Doc.

Thanks

I suspect that your high E2 and lowish T are reflections of the problem, not the causes.

What is your mood like?

What is your waist circumfrence?

Read Wilson’s book on adrenal fatigue.

I will put Wilson’s book on my Christmas list. My mood is typically upbeat, but I am startled easily, anxiety prone, etc. The alternative doc previously put me on cortisol pills (not sure of the form) along with some other supplements to support glands and T levels (zinc, DIM, Iodoral). I felt better for a few months after that and assumed it was T levels, but perhaps it was the adrenals getting a break. If he took insurance I would see him regularly, but a few hundred a visit is killer!

Thanks again for the input.

[quote]Muskulls wrote:
I suspect that your high E2 and lowish T are reflections of the problem, not the causes.

What is your mood like?

What is your waist circumfrence?[/quote]

Sorry, answered the mood but not the other. Waist is 35" at top of hip bone.