T Nation

Need Help With Binge!

For over 9 years, I have been clean with my diet giving myself a free day once a week. I also stopped drinking alcohol except for a glass of wine at night with a good meal. Finally on November of 2005 during thanksgiving, I started to binge on anykind of food no matter what. Even things that I hadn't eaten in years that were really bad. Now I have a hard time stopping whenever I encounter sweets. I think it is because I started drinking socially again with an occasional drunk night.

But now I have gained so much excess BF when I used to be really lean. I think I might have a Binge problem and I am worried. I have lost my will power to not eat bad things for me. I still train very hard 3-6 days a week, but need help on how I can get back on track with my food choices. Please help.

Proverbs 20:1??Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, And whoever is intoxicated by it is not wise? (NASB).

Cf. also Prov 21:17 (where heavy drinking and gluttony are equally condemned); 1 Sam 1:14; Isa 5:11, 22; 28:1 (drunkenness is condemned); 28:7; 29:9; 56:12; Jer 23:9; 51:7; Joel 3:3.

In the New Testament notice: Eph 5:18 (?do not get drunk with wine?); 1 Tim 3:3, 8; Titus 1:7 ([elders and deacons ought not be] ?addicted to wine or strong drink?); Titus 2:3 (older women, who would serve as role models to the younger ones, must not be addicted to wine).

As well, numerous passages use wine or drunkenness in an analogy about God?s wrath, immorality, etc. (cf. Rev. 14:8, 10; 16:19; 17:2; 18:3).

You're fuckin kidding me right? WTF is this crap...

To the original poster.

Are you eating throughout the day like you used too? Sometimes binges can be related to severe calorie restriction.

Other than that, try to go cold-turkey on the sugary stuff for 3 days so you can kick the vicious cycle of being addicted to sugar.

It's the "carbs are bad" guy. What do you expect?

The sudden feelings of loss of control with regards to your diet, and especially the increase in drinking, makes me think that there is something else going on in your life that may be the root of the problem... Maybe you need to sit down an re-evaluate your goals and motivations and decide what kind of food choices you want to make from here on out. Doughnuts don't MAKE you eat them....you have to find a reason to make the right choices.

Good luck.

Exactly. You are ultimately in control of everything that goes in your mouth. Every time you say yes to another crappy confection you are saying no to your previous lifting goals. It's literally the left hand stealing from the right. What else is going on that you're allowing yourself to lose control?

A coworker of mine used to wear a rubberband on her wrist and snap herself hard every time she thought about eating something she knew was bad for her. She lost around 50 pounds.

Did I hurt your ego, Professor "Donut" X ?

Yeah I agree. Like Shugs likes to say, overeating junk food usually is a result of emotional issues. Bad food can be very "comfortable," and can help to mask the fact that a person is unhappy for some reason. I know that I tend to cheat a lot more when I'm bored/lonely/depressed/whatever. I think that in order to get rid of these binges, you gotta figure out what's making you want to binge in the first place.

It could also be just because of hunger. Make sure you're eating a full meal before you start a binge. After the meal you'll still have some of the urge but you definitely wont be able to eat as much. Continue the trend and hopefully they urge will subside. It could be as simple as that.

This is very true. If you are skipping meals or not eating regularly, the moment you get truly hungry, you will be more likely to cheat because those options are more prevalent. That means make sure that the foods you need to eat are within reach most of the time. That is what coolers and Tupperware containers are for.