T Nation

Need Help - Test Levels

Back in mid January I had my test levels checked because of low ED. I’m 41, in excellent shape and been lifting for over twenty years. My results came back as 305 for the serum testosterone and 8.3 for the free. My doctor put me on 5g of Androgel per day and almost right away my erections returned. After two weeks they weren’t as strong and as frequent. One month later my test levels were rechecked along with PSAs and results were 714 for the serum testosterone and 20.3 for the free. My FSH (1.9) and LH (1.6) were also taken. should I be concerned about these readings (FSH and LH)? I wasn’t sure what else to have tested because I thought my Physician would have this covered. I decided to quit taking the Androgel two weeks ago because I wanted to research the subject more and possible side effects and the probability of my natural test being suppressed. I’m thinking about restarting the Androgel today to help restore my ED. Also over the last four or five years I noted to my doctor that I lacked in concentration, felt tired on many occasions, mind fog and stressed. Thinking back I’m curious if this could have been because of low test levels. I’m scheduled to visit a different doctor on the 16th because I wanted to get other opinions. I also have an appointment with an Endo at the end of this month. I wanted to get some opinions on what to ask/tell the doctor on what blood work needed to be done. I just found this site last night and it has been very helpful.

Welcome to Andropause.

What your doctor should have told you is that for a couple weeks you would feel a nice surge, as the Androgel would add to your natural testosterone, and then gradually tell your pituitary gland to stop producing LH and FSH, shutting down your natural production. Any exogenous testosterone will down-regulate your own system, which is why your LH and FSH were low. That’s to be expected. The problem is your pituitary gland’s set-point for LH and FSH are low, which is probably the case for most men with Andropause. Or rather, it’s lower than what we need to feel good.

The brain fog, etc. that you mentioned are all from the octogenarian levels of T that you naturally had. Quitting Androgel cold-turkey will not cause your body to start its own production very quickly.

You should probably go back on the Androgel and work with your doctor when it comes to deciding to stop or change how you take it.

You need to have your estradiol levels checked as well. As testosterone goes up, so does estrogen and you should probably be taking an aromatase inhibitor along with the Androgel. Use the Search function here and look for posts by ksman.

[quote]Davidfaith wrote:
Back in mid January I had my test levels checked because of low ED. I’m 41, in excellent shape and been lifting for over twenty years. My results came back as 305 for the serum testosterone and 8.3 for the free. My doctor put me on 5g of Androgel per day and almost right away my erections returned. After two weeks they weren’t as strong and as frequent. One month later my test levels were rechecked along with PSAs and results were 714 for the serum testosterone and 20.3 for the free. My FSH (1.9) and LH (1.6) were also taken. should I be concerned about these readings (FSH and Lhat H)? I wasn’t sure what else to have tested because I thought my Physician would have this covered. I decided to quit taking the Androgel two weeks ago because I wanted to research the subject more and possible side effects and the probability of my natural test being suppressed. I’m thinking about restarting the Androgel today to help restore my ED. Also over the last four or five years I noted to my doctor that I lacked in concentration, felt tired on many occasions, mind fog and stressed. Thinking back I’m curious if this could have been because of low test levels. I’m scheduled to visit a different doctor on the 16th because I wanted to get other opinions. I also have an appointment with an Endo at the end of this month. I wanted to get some opinions on what to ask/tell the doctor on what blood work needed to be done. I just found this site last night and it has been very helpful.[/quote]

Get back on the gel ASAP.
There is that transient surge, but your body adjusts to that and E levels increase and make thing worse. You probably need AI, but your doc may not see it that way. And you need HCG too keep your testes working, otherwise they shring and your srotum will pull up tight. The issues are QOL and fertility.