T Nation

Need Help/Suggestions


Hey folks, up until last November I didn’t really care about size. Then came November and I decided to put a few hundred dollars into a pot with some friends, to see who could put on the most size over a year. Long story short, I’ve managed to put some weight, 30 pounds since November, BUT, I want More!!

At the end of this thing (September 21), I want to be both bigger and leaner than when I started…and was looking for ANY suggestions on how I might get there.
Would this put some size on me that I’m looking for? Or would I be better going for a split.

The major thing that I’m concerned about right now is the legs…they suck!
Any recommendations on any other parts of the body I should work on would be greatly appreciated, as I want look as aesthetic (and big) as possible come the end of September.

Measurements since November have gone as follows
Weight: 158-186
Neck: 14-15
Shoulders: 45-50.5
Chest: 37-43
Upper Arm: 12-15.5
Waist: 32-36
Hip: 37-42
Thigh: 21-24
Calf: 13-15.5
Total: 211-242.6


And the side

And last but not least, the back

How often do you squat?

Sadly enough? 2 times per week on the quads, and one day working on hamstrings.
Mostly compound lifts, last couple of weeks I’ve been trying sets of 20 front squat, Romanian split squats, lunges and step ups mostly.
Rear chain is mostly deadlift variations
Think the problem might be that I was an avid distance runner up until 2 years ago?

What is your rep range? Yea I could see where distance running could hurt

Monday
Warm up is 30 Bodyweight squats and 4 minutes of tabata sprints on the bike.
Then it’s time to hit the hamstrings with 4 sets of 10 leg curls (As I’ve read to take them out of the picture if they’re more dominant)
6 sets of 6 Back Squats (close stance, with heals elevated a bit)
3 sets 10 of Romanian split squat
4 sets of 6 with reverse lunges

Thursday
Warm up is 30 Bodyweight squats and 4 minutes of tabata sprints on the bike.
Hit the Hack Squat machine for 5 sets of 20 with a very slow down portion (8 seconds in my head)
Then it’s off the the squat rack for front squats with the heals up for 4 sets of 10
3 sets of 12 on the leg press
3 sets of 10 on step ups

This is the schedule for the next 2.5 weeks anyway, want something to give me some legs

…so, basically my legs are dead twice a week

Drastically change your diet.

Are you saying you want to put on more size? Bc you will just get even fatter.

If you want to be bigger AND leaner, you may just want to drop all that “size” you put on and start from scrap. I don’t mean any offense at all by this post BTW. Do you have any pics of what you looked like before this endeavor? I would not have guessed that you were bulking had I seen you, just that you were overweight.

rom what I know 6 sets of 6-8 reps is good for building strength but not necessarily size… 4 sets of 10-12 might work better for that… As far as the leg curls I think that would be like doing a pre-exhaust which I think would be getting your hamstrings more work than your quads…

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:
If you want to be bigger AND leaner, you may just want to drop all that “size” you put on and start from scrap. I don’t mean any offense at all by this post BTW. Do you have any pics of what you looked like before this endeavor? I would not have guessed that you were bulking had I seen you, just that you were overweight.[/quote]

Yup, I know…I think the problem with the fat gain began around month 3, when I started taking a very high calorie/carb shake post workout…as opposed to the one I had been taking up til then…which was fairly low carb and I’ve just kind of ignored it (Telling myself it came with the whole bulking up process and I’d need to suck it up, as this is the fattest I’ve ever been).

Any suggestions on dieting would be appreciated too.
Right now a Training day looks like.

Get up at 5
Shake consisting of Almond milk, almonds, nut butter, 2 scoops of low carb protein (240 calories), flax, creatine and spinach

Breakfast 7ish
5 Eggs (either an omelet or soft boiled)
4 cups of veggies
Palm of lean meat

Lunch 11ish
lt of water, 4 cups of veggies, 50 g of protein in chicken (Measured out on a scale)

Post workout:
Shake consisting of Almond milk, almonds, nut butter, 2 scoops of high carb protein (640 calories), flax, berries and spinach

Supper:
4 cups of broccoli/cauliflower and a lean meat (50 g of protein)

Pre Bed: Casein protein and water

Pretty simple diet really as I find if I make it too complicated…I screw things up
I was debating adding hill sprints in, as I agree…I am feeling fucking fat, but again…I just kept telling myself that if I wanted to be bigger then the fat gain was a necessary evil, I go a little far with the fat gain?

Were you only getting carbs post workout the entire time and have you now cut out that shake completely?

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
Were you only getting carbs post workout the entire time and have you now cut out that shake completely?

[/quote]

For the most part,
have had potatoes or whatnot when I was visiting friends and they cooked something…but I always tried to limit my intake.

Think I should completely cut the post workout shake? Just cut the higher carb stuff and go back to the low carb? It’s far less calories, with the same protein, so should do something…no?

[quote]dennis3k wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
Were you only getting carbs post workout the entire time and have you now cut out that shake completely?

[/quote]

For the most part,
have had potatoes or whatnot when I was visiting friends and they cooked something…but I always tried to limit my intake.

Think I should completely cut the post workout shake? Just cut the higher carb stuff and go back to the low carb? It’s far less calories, with the same protein, so should do something…no?[/quote]

Do you have any idea what your ratios are right now?

Might be worthwhile to go back to drawing board, decide a reasonable calorie amount and then good macro ratios to allow for better consistency.

I would personally keep the carbs, and maybe even increase them (saying that I have no idea how much carbs you are getting with the shake) but spread them more evenly to Pre and Post workout and even peri if you can.

Do you even carb?

In all seriousness, if you’re trying to throw on some mass you need to up the carbs! I recommend ditching the mass gainer shake - those are usually very high in sugar (hello fat).

Instead, try something like as follows. We weigh about the same, so what works for me might be a good starting point for you.

Meal 1 (Breakfast) - 40g protein & 60g fat meal (some eggs in VCO w/ veggies)
Meal 2 - 40 g protein and ~ 20g fat (think some sort of lean meat, handful of almonds)
Meal 3 (Lunch) - 40 grams protein & 50 g carbs (think lean meat, 1 cup of sweet potato or rice)
Meal 4 (30min to 1 hour PREWORKOUT) - Protein shake, slow carbs, little bit of fat. I usually use milk for my protein shake to bump the pro/carbs up to a total of like 60 g protein, 100 g carbs.
Meal 5 (POSTWORKOUT) - 50 grams of protein (lean meat), 100 grams of carbs (starchy carbs)
Meal 6 (Dinner) - 40 grams protein (lean meat) and 40 g carbs
Prebed - Casein (50g protein), optional

You can try some intraworkout carbs and see how your body adapts to that if you don’t see teh gainz.

Breakdown:
P - 320 g
C - 290 g
F - 80 g
Cals: ~3500 all said and done

Great advice in here… but I am confused… Just looking at you it doesn’t even look like you lift. Also, this little wager on who can put on the most size sounds like who can get the fattest. Anyways, I think you should start cutting and not worry about the wager. That is just me though…

[quote]dennis3k wrote:

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:
If you want to be bigger AND leaner, you may just want to drop all that “size” you put on and start from scrap. I don’t mean any offense at all by this post BTW. Do you have any pics of what you looked like before this endeavor? I would not have guessed that you were bulking had I seen you, just that you were overweight.[/quote]

Yup, I know…I think the problem with the fat gain began around month 3, when I started taking a very high calorie/carb shake post workout…as opposed to the one I had been taking up til then…which was fairly low carb and I’ve just kind of ignored it (Telling myself it came with the whole bulking up process and I’d need to suck it up, as this is the fattest I’ve ever been).

Any suggestions on dieting would be appreciated too.
Right now a Training day looks like.

Get up at 5
Shake consisting of Almond milk, almonds, nut butter, 2 scoops of low carb protein (240 calories), flax, creatine and spinach

Breakfast 7ish
5 Eggs (either an omelet or soft boiled)
4 cups of veggies
Palm of lean meat

Lunch 11ish
lt of water, 4 cups of veggies, 50 g of protein in chicken (Measured out on a scale)

Post workout:
Shake consisting of Almond milk, almonds, nut butter, 2 scoops of high carb protein (640 calories), flax, berries and spinach

Supper:
4 cups of broccoli/cauliflower and a lean meat (50 g of protein)

Pre Bed: Casein protein and water

Pretty simple diet really as I find if I make it too complicated…I screw things up
I was debating adding hill sprints in, as I agree…I am feeling fucking fat, but again…I just kept telling myself that if I wanted to be bigger then the fat gain was a necessary evil, I go a little far with the fat gain?

[/quote]

Yea man, a lot of people tend to go off the deep end with “bulking” lol.

You obviously aren’t taking in many carbs, so I would just drop 500 overall calories man and start trying to drop the fat. Simple and effective. And I wouldn’t be overly concerned with losing muscle bc you have plenty of bf to spare…my 2 cents.

[quote]stefan128 wrote:
Great advice in here… but I am confused… Just looking at you it doesn’t even look like you lift.[/quote]
You don’t have a very good eye for it I guess. It seems pretty easy for me to tell by looking at the way the pecs are carried and also at the shape of the arms. I could definitely pick him out of a lineup as a lifter. If you think about what to look for I bet you’ll get better at recognizing it fast though :smiley:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]stefan128 wrote:
Great advice in here… but I am confused… Just looking at you it doesn’t even look like you lift.[/quote]
You don’t have a very good eye for it I guess. It seems pretty easy for me to tell by looking at the way the pecs are carried and also at the shape of the arms. I could definitely pick him out of a lineup as a lifter. If you think about what to look for I bet you’ll get better at recognizing it fast though :D[/quote]

I see the pecs, my mistake… But overall I think he got out of hand with the wager with his buddies…

[quote]stefan128 wrote:
But overall I think he got out of hand with the wager with his buddies…[/quote]
You know I am curious now how much the wager was for…