Need Help Putting on Weight

[quote]millasur wrote:
Also another quick question - I’m doing CW Total Body Training program at the moment, and read the article someone wrote on only having 30 minutes a session to work out. (This would suit me much better). Therefore I’m looking to switch to doing workous with just 2 or 3 exercises. (eg day 1- rows/bench press) and working out daily or near daily. When I train like this though, I don’t feel like I’ve worked all that hard as I’ve only done a couple of exercises… Is growing really possible if you train in this way?!
[/quote]

it’s possible to grow on almost any routine if you eat enough, get enough rest, and bust ass in the gym…

most of your calories should come from healthy food sources but if you’re a skinny dude don’t be so worried about eating ‘clean’ all the time…just eat…if your body need calories and the only thing around is a candy bar eat the motherfucker!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
Professor X wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
4–Whole milk is full of saturated fat. This is not a good choice. 1%(my choice) or skim (gross) will do you better and suipp with some type of healthy oil for your fats and satiaty.

I was in agreement until you wrote this. There isn’t a thing wrong with whole milk. It might be wise to eliminate it when dieting, but otherwise, it does a body good. You act as if he is pouring gallons of cream down his throat.

I don’t disagree that with you in that it won’t kill him. But why would you want to take in 5g or 8g or whatever it is in saturated fat when you could just as easily make up that calorie content with some olive oil or fish supps through the day?

Because it isn’t always that easy and there is no reason to avoid all saturated fat.
[/quote]

Come on. I expected a better reason than that. Of course you don’t need to avoid all sat fat, but why would you intentionally eat it if you had easy and readily available choices. Fish capsules are easy. Olive oli is easy.

I don’t see compromising overall health to gain weight a nano-second sooner as logical. I’d rather it take me an extra (x) amount of time to gain my weight and do it healthier than rush it.

My opinion also is considering the age and experience of the questioner. If it were an experienced lifter going through a mesocycle, my answer MIGHT be different. But I don’t see how a 20 something guy who wants to put on weight has any reason to rush it.

Not arguing, just explaining. I can appreciate your advice as well–given limited options.

[quote]DPH wrote:
most of your calories should come from healthy food sources but if you’re a skinny dude don’t be so worried about eating ‘clean’ all the time…just eat…if your body need calories and the only thing around is a candy bar eat the motherfucker!

[/quote]

lol

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
My opinion also is considering the age and experience of the questioner. If it were an experienced lifter going through a mesocycle, my answer MIGHT be different. But I don’t see how a 20 something guy who wants to put on weight has any reason to rush it.[/quote]

That 20 something guy is the main one with the hormones to benefit from “rushing it” (if that is what you call drinking whole milk). I am dieting and still drinking whole milk. I am trying to keep my calories around 4,000 a day and whole milk won’t be thrown out until I need to reduce calories more. It is simply an easier way to get more calories down. That is along with the salmon I eat or the olive oil added to pasta. There is just no valid reason to throw it out as if his “health” is at risk.

sasquatch wrote:
My opinion also is considering the age and experience of the questioner. If it were an experienced lifter going through a mesocycle, my answer MIGHT be different. But I don’t see how a 20 something guy who wants to put on weight has any reason to rush it.

That 20 something guy is the main one with the hormones to benefit from “rushing it” (if that is what you call drinking whole milk). I am dieting and still drinking whole milk. I am trying to keep my calories around 4,000 a day and whole milk won’t be thrown out until I need to reduce calories more. It is simply an easier way to get more calories down. That is along with the salmon I eat or the olive oil added to pasta. There is just no valid reason to throw it out as if his “health” is at risk.[/quote]

I’ll just respectfully disagree. Because he has the hormones, I can’t see justifying consuming large qty’s of sat fat to add a couple of poinds quicker. He’ll have these same hormones for another couple/few years.

I never meant to imply he was putting himself in imminent danger by consuming 2 glasses of whole milk.
You are the exact person I was describing as prescribing a different regimine too.

Anyways—next

Saturated fat isn’t sort of bad for you. It’s not bad for you at all. It’s only bad if you go really nuts on it, and you can say that about anything else.

[quote]NNNNate! wrote:
Saturated fat isn’t sort of bad for you. It’s not bad for you at all. It’s only bad if you go really nuts on it, and you can say that about anything else.[/quote]

So then why would you gulp it down 8g at a time in a glass of milk?

Try to say something worth saying. If too much is not good then I will save my ‘good’ amount of sat. fat for the meat I’m going to eat over the course of my life.

My argument was simple, unless you are an experienced iron head, juicing or otherwise going thru a cycle or something, what is the rush to pack on weight, that you would want to take in excess sat. fat. Others disagree–cool.

But really, no shit Sherlock, to much sat. fat is certainly not a good thing.

When numerous, more healthy, and lifelong options exist, my advice would be to go that route. I don’t think it takes excess time or planning to pop some fish oil capsules or throw olive oil into a mid-morning power smoothie.

Just me.

Because that isn’t too much.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:

[/quote]

sasquatch wrote:
4–Whole milk is full of saturated fat. This is not a good choice. 1%(my choice) or skim (gross) will do you better and suipp with some type of healthy oil for your fats and satiaty.

I was in agreement until you wrote this. There isn’t a thing wrong with whole milk. It might be wise to eliminate it when dieting, but otherwise, it does a body good. You act as if he is pouring gallons of cream down his throat.[/quote]

I agree. Unless you are lactose intolerant, drink milk, lots of it, and the full fat version is the way to go. Remember fat has 9 calories per gram. It’s also harder to get full from drinking than it is from eating. You can ingest a lot of calories this way.

Is that Steve Austin in your avatar?

[quote]deanosumo wrote:

I agree. Unless you are lactose intolerant, drink milk, lots of it, and the full fat version is the way to go. Remember fat has 9 calories per gram. It’s also harder to get full from drinking than it is from eating. You can ingest a lot of calories this way.

[/quote]

Ok, I see a lot of people beat me to the correct response, which is eat more. This does in fact mean more protein, carbs and fat. It means you must discern which to combine when and how much. Of course it has been said that 2000 cals isn’t enough. Very true, you’ll need a lot more. Do yourself a favor until you get a handle on how to manage your diet and eat a little bit all day long. Never stuff yourself, but eat untill you are somewhat satisfied and then eat again 2-3 hrs later and repeat this until it becomes second nature. Until you learn HOW to eat , you won’t gain size.

Sweet tappity square dancing kumquats. I can barely function in the gym on 2,000 calories a day. I don’t feel like I have solid workouts unless I’m consuming atleast 2,500 or more… and I’m 142lbs! How do you live!!!

[quote]NNNNate! wrote:
Because that isn’t too much.

sasquatch wrote:

[/quote]

…especially since I add protein to it in the form of meal replacements…bringing that amount of protein much close to 50gr in two cups of whole milk.

[quote]zdrax wrote:
Sweet tappity square dancing kumquats. I can barely function in the gym on 2,000 calories a day. I don’t feel like I have solid workouts unless I’m consuming atleast 2,500 or more… and I’m 142lbs! How do you live!!!

[/quote]

For the record, Im about 150 odd lbs, and weighed a little less (probly about 20 odd lbs 2 years ago, when I played rugby a couple of times a week, did some weights work, and ate the same. I live very easily and feel full most of the time. but neways…

[quote]BradleyGrunner wrote:
To Lonnie. How is this for a vague question? I am a dietetic intern and graduate student in nutrition and exercise physiology. What are some of the things that have made you a successful sports nutritionist and what would you recommend for a hungry, ambitious student who lives, eats, sleeps, breathes and ----- nutrition and exercise?[/quote]

Which Lonnie did you want to hear from??

P.S. - By the way… Lonnie, I always get a little extra kick out of your articles mearly because of you name! It somehow makes it that much easier to follow and apply.