Need Help Putting on Muscle

Im 5’10" and weigh 13st.

bodymetamorphosis.blogspot.com/

That is the current state on my new blog that I am in which is not good at all. (Im not asking for blog readers, just to show you all my pics that are already on that blog)

I have received excellent advice on my diet from a trainer and don’t need any help with it.

My goals are to get rid of this terrible shape for September when I start Uni (Im 28) The Uni will have a gym so I can continue my training whilst I’m there. Wanting to basically rid the fat and get down to around 14% bf which is gonna take a hell of a lot of work I know. Also want to put on a bit of muscle.

I have chosen to do the Chad Waterbury full body workout.

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=04-073-training

would you agree that this would be best suited for my shape?)
The problem I am having is understanding how to select the exercises from his list. So what Im confused about is which 4 compounds with which 2 Isolation exercises to choose. I want to be hitting every bodypart right?

Has Chad made that list so that no matter what you chose (4+2), you will be creating the correct workout?

Guys, I want to thank you in advance for your time helping me with this.

I will keep you all updated as I progress.

If you follow the guidlines he outlines (attached below) you’ll find that you are going to be hitting every body part no matter how you pic the exercises. Normally, the isolation exercises can be used to hit lagging body parts. For you, you can just keep cycling through them and you should be fine.

From the article:

1. Constantly rotate exercises from each category. In other words, don’t always start your session with a chest/back pairing. You must keep rotating the body parts and exercises you begin each session with.

2. Don’t perform the same exercise for more than two weeks in a row. For example, if you performed a flat barbell bench press as your chest exercise for Weeks 1 and 2, you must switch to either incline, decline or dumbbell bench presses for another two weeks before switching again.

[quote]poona wrote:
Wanting to basically rid the fat and get down to around 14% bf which is gonna take a hell of a lot of work I know. Also want to put on a bit of muscle.

I have chosen to do the Chad Waterbury full body workout.

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=04-073-training

would you agree that this would be best suited for my shape?)[/quote]

Will you loss weight on the program you’ve chosen while gaining muscle? Most likely, but it probably isn’t the most effective workout for you at this point, as the loading parameters are designed to promote hypertrophy, with no focus on fat loss at all.

Honestly, if you’re just starting out lifting and you truly have your diet down pat, you’ll lose fat and gain muscle on almost any program. In your case, I’d recommend checking out CT’s Destroying Fat workout or Waterbury’s 10x3 for weight loss.

So maybe go with the 10x3 for the first 4 weeks and then switch to the Full body in my first post.

I’m just looking for the quickest results guys. (aren’t we all)

September is my goal to get into a decent shape. One that is far away from my current state as seen in the above blog link.

If I were you, I would focus on fat loss for 8-12 weeks, and then worry about added muscle mass. For example, I’m just finishing up a fat loss cycle. I spent 6 weeks on Destroying Fat, and the last 4 on 10x3. Tomorrow I’m going to start Rippietoe’s Starting Strength while keeping my intake below maintainance, and after 6 weeks or so of that, I’ll eat at maintainance or a little bit above for 4-8 weeks while focusing on strength gains. I’m trying to get down to the 8-10%bf range, so I’ll probably start dieting down again after that.

You have 12 weeks. I would do 4 weeks of 10x3, 4-6 weeks of Destroying Fat, and then do Rippietoe’s Starting Strength before doing the Full body routine. That will let you peal some of that gut off while gaining strength and lean muscle mass.

A Ninjaboy, that’s excellent advice.

I think I’ll run with that. I really am determined to lose this spare tyre. It cant be healthy. Plus I’m hardly gonna do too well with the ladies if I aint looking good eh. :smiley:

I don’t understand what Chad means by

Load - 75% of 1RM

[quote]poona wrote:
I don’t understand what Chad means by

Load - 75% of 1RM[/quote]

It means take what your 1RM (1 rep maximum) and multiply it by .75. That will give you an approximate weight you are supposed to use. For you, that might not be much AND it may be too heavy for you. Stick with a weight that you can do for the number of reps called out. You want to really start feeling that weight in the last couple of sets. If you can finish all of the reps in all of the sets without much difficulty, you need to increase the weight.

Hope that helps.

A 1RM is the amount of weight you can do an exercise with for only one rep with proper form before having to take a rest. If you don’t know what that is for a given exercise, start with a light weight and each rep add weight to the bar. When you get to a point where you can’t move the bar anymore, the weight you just lifted is your one rep max. Once you know what your 1RM is, take 75% of that and use it for your working weight. I’d recommend testing your 1RM a day or two before starting on the actual program, and have someone spot you if you can.

Ah awesome guys.

I’ve got it now. I’ll get down to gym and try my 1RM’s asap then. Am looking forward to starting this routine.

I wouldn’t go checking for 1 rep maximums unless you are really good at the form and all the exercises you are testing. I’m not sure what your training history is, but, you may want to just got with the recommendation I gave and use a challenging weight. Once you get the form down (maybe a few months or longer, yes longer) you could try and determine your 1RM.

Find whatever your 5-10 rep max is and use a calculator to compute your 1rm.

Trying to perform a 1rm as a new trainee is asking for injury.

Good points Arioch and MC sp3.

Thanks MC sp3.

That’s an awesome little tool to use.

EXRX has many useful tools. Peruse the site if you have the time. Their Exercise and Muscle Directory is a valuable resource. It contains descriptions and videos clips of all the more common lifts and details exactly which muscle groups they target.