Need Help Practicing Math

Does anyone know of any good websites that help with brushing up on math?

The farthest I’ve gotten so far is Pre-Calc I and II (algebra and trig), but it’s been a while and I want to re-learn/practice.

I’m going to go for a degree in Applied Mathematics/Electrical Engineering and want to make sure I’m ready for a placement test or clep test when I transfer.

I don’t know of any websites that would be really helpful. I would suggest heading to your local book store and picking up some books on the topics you want to cover. When I was taking Calculus 1-3 I used two books called “How to ace calculus” and “Hot to ace the rest of calculus.” They were helpful in that they explained the concepts in very easy to understand terms without a lot of hard theory.

The most important thing you can do is practice problems. Do pages and pages of practice problems.

Good luck- engineering is a bitch!

Jeff

Agreed. For calc in college, the thing that saved me was the study review book that you had to buy seperately from the textbook. Definately get the books in advance and start teaching yourself. Practice, practice, practice.

Good luck!

Thanks!

The last teacher I had was an Engineer himself, and also a great teacher.

He taught pre-calc I and II together so it was 16 weeks worth of material crammed into 8 weeks. He had us submit every homework question in the book, where other teachers only gave the odd or only the even ones.

This also helped since we could check our answers to half of the questions from the back of the book.

My IT degree with the University of Phoenix (online) didn’t require those pre-calc courses (go figgure) so I dropped the class just before transfering to the UOP.

I was doing well in that class, and realy enjoyed math. Now I want to go back to it, even though I’ll have wasted a bunch of credits that won’t transfer over from Information Technology.

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
Thanks!

The last teacher I had was an Engineer himself, and also a great teacher.

He taught pre-calc I and II together so it was 16 weeks worth of material crammed into 8 weeks. He had us submit every homework question in the book, where other teachers only gave the odd or only the even ones.

This also helped since we could check our answers to half of the questions from the back of the book.

My IT degree with the University of Phoenix (online) didn’t require those pre-calc courses (go figgure) so I dropped the class just before transfering to the UOP.

I was doing well in that class, and realy enjoyed math. Now I want to go back to it, even though I’ll have wasted a bunch of credits that won’t transfer over from Information Technology.[/quote]

I teach high school and part-time for a small university here in Ohio. At the level you’re contemplating, there really is no substitute for in-class experience. I chuckle when students ask what they can do, when sick or away for whatever reason. Very few people can actually teach themselves. I’d suggest taking some classes at a community college for a year, then try the ‘big time’.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
I teach high school and part-time for a small university here in Ohio. At the level you’re contemplating, there really is no substitute for in-class experience. I chuckle when students ask what they can do, when sick or away for whatever reason. Very few people can actually teach themselves. I’d suggest taking some classes at a community college for a year, then try the ‘big time’.

[/quote]

I chuckle when people assume that others can’t “teach themselves” math.

I learned plenty out of our text book before our instructor began teaching the lesson.

One thing I learned from that instructor was that Math should be used continually to be able to remember it well. That is what I’m looking for. A website or book that has many practice problems and explanations about those problems.

BTW, what exactly is the ‘big time’?

Probably more than you want but check it out anyway. Everything your looking for is there.

www.algebrahelp.com and www.purplemath.com are awesome places to start. Algebrahelp has lessons and worksheets to help you through. Purplemath is great and has a ton of links to other resources. Some of the stuff on algebrahelp is pretty basic, but your basic algebra skills are needed for most everything.

Also check out http://mathworld.wolfram.com . This isn’t a lesson site but an all around cool site if you are into math. I need to look at it more often myself.

I suggest the Math Smart series (I and II) to my students. Those will take you through algebra and geometry into some trig. You might want to consider working with a tutor. Not that you can’t do it yourself, but sometimes it helps to have someone working with you, especially when you don’t have the benefit of a study guide.

Thanks for the links.

The college I was going to in VA had a great math website but I can’t find it yet.

I’m sure these will keep me busy for a while.

[quote]johnny_ringo wrote:
Probably more than you want but check it out anyway. Everything your looking for is there.
http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html[/quote]

Thanks. This is a fantastic site!

I just watch Numbers on Friday nights. Makes me feel all smart and stuff :slight_smile:

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:

I learned plenty out of our text book before our instructor began teaching the lesson.
[/quote]
I think math is one of those things that people either have an innate understanding of, or they aren’t ever going to get it. If you say you enjoy math, then you probably are among the former group.

Pre-calc is rigorous and will prepare you for calculus. If you are looking to get a jump on calculus, buy a calculus textbook with the solutions guide (preferably the one used at the junior college or university you plan to attend) and get to work solving problems. Schaum’s outline guide has saved many an engineer’s backside. I still have mine.

Theo

[quote]Tizza wrote:
SWR-1222D wrote:

I think math is one of those things that people either have an innate understanding of, or they aren’t ever going to get it. If you say you enjoy math, then you probably are among the former group.[/quote]

I disagree. Math is just as learnable as speaking. Problem is the stigma and good teachers. If you have a mathmatics degree, why teach for 40k when you can work as an Engineer for substantially more. One of the best mathmatics profs at my school just left accepting a 150k salary at a software developing company the salary is twice what she was pulling as a teacher.