Need Help Planning a Cut

[quote]skwasny wrote:
Aside from Brick’s and Stu’s above recommendations, I also suggest re-doing your calculations. The figures I came up with are drastically different than the ones you posted (roughly one-third less). However, I also realize this may or may not change the course of your upcoming cut. Nevertheless, I think it’s extremely useful to stay precise with your food intake.[/quote]

which were one third less? I rechecked them, they’re all the same.

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
so basically do a step down? like

Week 1: 5000 calories
Week 2: 4500 calories
Week 3: 4000 calories
Week 4: 3500 calories
Week 5: 3000 calories [/quote]

if you were to do something like this it would be much better to do SIGNIFICANTLY smaller drops. even if you were to cut 100-150 cals every time fat loss stalls (not necessarily every week) that would still be much better for muscle retention[/quote]

Yeah, the 500 drops weren’t really thought out. I like that

I also don’t know how to see how well I’m holding on to muscle/losing fat in small increments. I can get calipered once per week or whatever…but still, it may take several weeks to see results, and when they come how do I know I won’t have lost like 2 lbs. of fat and 3 lbs. of muscle, and those few weeks destroyed 6 months worth of work. AAAAAAAAAAARG I hate this. I’m so paranoid about losing the muscle but I don’t want to be “soft” forever now that I’ve bulked.

You’ve kind of got to go by your strength numbers in the gym. If you’re getting stronger, great, you’re almost definitely not losing muscle. If you’re staying the same, well, that’s probably okay if you’re on a significant cut. If you’re getting weaker, there may be problems.

And you probably should look into zen meditation or zomething.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:

[quote]skwasny wrote:
Aside from Brick’s and Stu’s above recommendations, I also suggest re-doing your calculations. The figures I came up with are drastically different than the ones you posted (roughly one-third less). However, I also realize this may or may not change the course of your upcoming cut. Nevertheless, I think it’s extremely useful to stay precise with your food intake.[/quote]

which were one third less? I rechecked them, they’re all the same. [/quote]

Although I don’t want this to result in a numbers argument, I suspect you reproduced the same errors. I reiterate the importance I place on nutrition precision and realize others may or may not share my view point. The above report is what I came up with using Nutritiondata.com. Please note a ‘total consumption report’ was produced, which I then edited for brevity, as the details provided are actually beyond the scope of this thread.

[quote]skwasny wrote:

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:

[quote]skwasny wrote:

Although I don’t want this to result in a numbers argument, I suspect you reproduced the same errors. I reiterate the importance I place on nutrition precision and realize others may or may not share my view point. The above report is what I came up with using Nutritiondata.com. Please note a ‘total consumption report’ was produced, which I then edited for brevity, as the details provided are actually beyond the scope of this thread.

[/quote]

x2. According a spreadsheet I keep myself, I’m getting a little over 300g/day TOTAL from about 1.4lbs (uncooked weight) lean meat (veal/turkey/pork), 2 protein shakes (50g each), and eggs/eggwhites at breakfast (40g there). I really don’t see how you are eating like 35% more protein than me with that diet.

[quote]scj119 wrote:

[quote]skwasny wrote:

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:

[quote]skwasny wrote:

[/quote]

x2. According a spreadsheet I keep myself, I’m getting a little over 300g/day TOTAL from about 1.4lbs (uncooked weight) lean meat (veal/turkey/pork), 2 protein shakes (50g each), and eggs/eggwhites at breakfast (40g there). I really don’t see how you are eating like 35% more protein than me with that diet.[/quote]

post your numbers for comparison?

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]scj119 wrote:

[quote]skwasny wrote:

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:

[quote]skwasny wrote:

[/quote]

x2. According a spreadsheet I keep myself, I’m getting a little over 300g/day TOTAL from about 1.4lbs (uncooked weight) lean meat (veal/turkey/pork), 2 protein shakes (50g each), and eggs/eggwhites at breakfast (40g there). I really don’t see how you are eating like 35% more protein than me with that diet.[/quote]

post your numbers for comparison?[/quote]

I don’t know how to embed a spreadsheet, but I’ll throw out the relevant poundages of today’s eating.

0.6lbs veal (9.6 oz) - 50g protein
0.45lbs pork (7.2oz) - 41g protein
0.43lb ground turkey (93/7 lean) (6.9oz) - 40g protein
two 25g scoops of whey isolate - 50g protein
3 finibars (2 at breakfast, 1 preworkout) - 40g protein
50g whey hydro (periworkout) - 50g protein

503 + 403 = 270. Throw in trace proteins from rice, beans, nuts and peanut butter and it’s a littler over 300

Note^ I don’t actually plan my meals out to the hundredth of a pound. I’ll buy a package and divide it by how many meals I have from it… i.e. I frequently get a package of ground turkey that happens to be 1.3lbs, so if I plan on having 3 meals from that package, I just type 1.3/3 into my spreadsheet, and it spits out 0.43333

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]scj119 wrote:

[quote]skwasny wrote:

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:

[quote]skwasny wrote:

[/quote]

post your numbers for comparison?[/quote]

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I ran a rough outline of his original post through my spreadsheet and came up with 4350 calories (277g/233g/337g p/c/f)… with the caveat that I find it hard to believe he’s eating 5oz (9 tablespoons) of peanut butter in one sitting.

I also don’t want to get into a war of numbers, particularly with skwasny who (if that’s you in your avatar) obviously knows a lot more than I do. However, unless your spreadsheet is cut off, that isn’t the meal plan he posted…some things are missing, such as the previously mentioned 5oz peanut butter (900 calories).

Good point: a numbers argument will lead us nowhere. The spreadsheet I posted was based on AccipiterQ’s original post, where he outlined a possible cutting diet.

5 tablespoons of peanut butter in one sitting is gluttonous at its finest.

And yes, that’s me.

I see a couple mistakes; I’m using greek yogurt, not regular, and the fruit I eat is usually the large size, but that doesn’t account for the total difference. I checked my numbers and fit day gives me completely different ones than what you’ve got there. What program did you use for those?

I’ll reply with the actual numbers after, about to watch a movie with the gf.

And yes I eat it one sitting. I love peanut butter. It’s hard to describe how good it tastes to me. You ever hear an alcoholic talk about the first sip of a drink and how it feels like tingling and electricity going through their whole body out to their toes and fingers? I get that from liquor, it’s in my genes. The only other thing that gives me that feeling,and always has, from as early as 4 is peanut butter. NO clue why. I can eat a jar in one sitting with a cup of milk

That’s weird, I put the numbers into fit day, I get the same thing as in my OP. Some of the numbers come out different. The steak for instance comes out as 150 calories more. Upping the fruit sizes accounts for some too.

Edit: I see what it is! I made a mistake, there’s 4 eggs in the cutting shake. I’m an idiot. But that’s odd that the steak numbers were different…