Need Help Picking Correct Workout Routine

sorry for saying complicated, i am the problem cuz i am such a newbie so like lacking a lot of things sorry for the stupid question is 5x5 like 5/3/1 or they are different ?

5x5 is 5 sets of 5 reps, 5/3/1 is more of a program based on percentages, I believe there was a link to an article on it further up.

1 Like

Yes 3 days, if you hit Monday and Friday very hard and push for PRs every week you will appreciate why. Having said that start off very light to allow for long term progression.
If you google around there are 4 day templates but would def start off 3 days exactly how it is laid out in that article.

Can do swimming or HIIT cardio on a couple of the off days. Minimum one day should be nothing at all.

This is 5/3/1, its a relatively new program by Jim Wendler and is often seen as the next progression after Texas method(say 3-6 months down the line)ā€¦

I would also take a good creatine like krealkalyn as it can act as a neuroprotectant and vit d3 and ZMA which can help with neural recovery.

As others said before get tons of green veg in your diet

Rampant has nailed the reply, spot on.

Recovery is extremely important.

Itā€™s a balancing act between getting results you want and actually enjoying it, if you enjoy being in the gym everyday and it serves more of a purpose than just getting stronger and looking better then I fully understand why you may not want to cut down. Any of the programmes mentioned in this thread will work, itā€™s really down to choosing which will work whilst maintaining a level of enjoyment.

best of luck

First of all i would like to thank everyone who tried to help me, i really appreciate that guys.

special thanks to:
@RampantBadger @kd13 @littlesleeper

So, i think i will go for the 5x5 routine and after 3-6 months i will switch to 5/3/1 since i liked the approach of both.

But i wanted your help to clear some stuff

here is the routine which i found in a spreadsheet

Basically it is only 3 workouts MON / WED / FRI, and i should be adding 5 pounds more every week during 12 weeks.

So as i saw on T-nation regarding 5x5 that it is recommended to add Hyper-Extensions 3x10 with weights, is it okay?

So i will follow this program strictly, BUT should i add any Biceps on MON, Triceps on WED & Bench dips on FRI i have seen ppl saying that adding just one set of each to the 5x5 will complete it, is that true or should i stick to it as it is shown in the picture above?

About supplementation i have some question:

Currently i drink whey after the training but on my off days should i drink it? if yes then when?

Also i will start taking Creatine & L-Carnitine so it should be taken during the the working days only or also during the off days?

Beside i am taking Vitamin D & omega 3 fish oil.

@RampantBadger i have seen ur suggestion for ZMA i will try to get it here in Brazil & will buy the krealkalyn but later since i already bought other one few days ago.

I donā€™t really see a problem with adding the isolation work you mentioned, would maybe swap the bench dips for a rear or lateral delt exercise but thatā€™s just me. I would normally say run it as written but even with these additions it would still be a massive improvement over your old approach in terms of progressing.

Use the whey to fill in the gaps, if your protein from food is a bit lower on a day then use your whey to hit around 1.5g x bodyweight.

Use this routine to get your strength up and learn how to progress and manage your volume. Then transition back to a more bodybuilding orientated routine, a smarter one with much more rest though!

2 Likes

No. -I dont recommend that spreadsheet you will just plateau/ hit a wall very soon

do this(basically texas method)ā€¦

Monday:
Pick an 8RM/weight you can do for 8 reps, add 5 lbs when you can get 6 reps on all sets. 2-3min rest between sets.
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Deadlift 2x5
Optional assistance: OH press 5x10, tricep move 3x15, bicep move3x15. 1 min rest

Wed: Pick a 10-12 rep max (very easy day)
Squat 3x5
OH press 3x5
Chin ups 3-5 sets
Optional Assistance: Back extension 5x10, delt side raises 5x10, Abs 3-5 sets

Friday: 5x5 ramped to top set @5RM eg 20kg x5, 25kg x5, 30kg x5, 40kg x5 50kg x5. Add weight to top set when you can get 6 reps
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Barbell row 5x5
Assistance: Power clean 5x3 with 6-8RM/nowhere near failure just focus on speed and technique,
Optional: Dips/dip machine 5x10, Hammer curls 5x10, 1 min rest

Orā€¦ google ā€˜Madcow 5x5ā€™ or ā€˜Bil Starr 5x5ā€™ and use one of the various apps and spreadsheets for it

orrrrā€¦ do this: The 25 Method

Carnitine just take on training days, preferably with post workout meal. Creatine can take every day

Thank you so much for ur reply.

Gonna take the rest so serious,

just curious about a question, why canā€™t we use the same approach of 5x5 with bi/tri like example Barbell curl 5x5 and to add more weight every week etc?

& why only dead lifts are 1x5?

Thank you so much for ur reply and for sharing ur routine too loved the way u wrote it, u made so clear.

Just to know, why i would hit a plateau with the other sheet?

Also same question, just curious about a question, why canā€™t we use the same approach of 5x5 with bi/tri like example Barbell curl 5x5 and to add more weight every week etc?

& why only dead lifts are 2x5?

With the other sheet the weight will either be too light for the first few weeks and then suddenly you will not be able to add any more weight at all, start missing reps and your nervous system and joints will be under a lot of stress(especially not good with MS). Its ok for absolute beginners, but after that we see many people report back frustrated on these forums.

re deadlifts you just do one or two sets as they are harder on the overall sytem than the other lifts

With arm work you could do 5x5 with biceps in theory if really wanted to but for triceps you would irritate you elbows pretty quickly.
-Its just generally proven that they respond better to high reps and getting a pump/burn/ feeling the contraction rather than going up in weight all the time

1 Like

Such a complete answer, thank you so much.

Today i started and it was so challenging and fun, barely first time to do squats, but unfortunately at my GYM i canā€™t do the natural squats i need to use a machine cuz no one is gonna help to grab the barbell and put it on my back in case my weights get heavier, or to be near in case i got injured etc.

So please check this video to see if i was doing it well?
Tried to keep my chest up and to go really down less then 90 degrees
And to keep my breathe while squatting,
Also using the middle of my feet to lift not my toes.

My advise if based on that video is that you need to control your eccentric more, try a 3 or 4 second negative, will probably mean you would need to lower weight a little but would benefit much more.

that goes for all your exercises except deadlifts

hope you enjoy your new approach and start seeing results

1 Like

I am loving it really the new routine thanks to u guys <3

the eccentric movement here means when i am going down right?

example the 5 repetitions took 34 sec, it should have taken how many seconds?

i will take care of it, since it is barely my first time to do it.

Yeah when your going down buddy, take around 4 seconds, just really control that movement and keep the tension on.

1 Like

Just a quick question,

should i do the 5 sets with the same weight, or example: normally i isquat 70 kg so first set: 60 kg 2nd 65kg then the other 3 sets 70kg
as if the first two are to warm up

monday is 5 sets with same weight, friday is basically 4-5 heavy warmups to one all out set. Can do extra light warmups before on both days

1 Like

Thank you so much for your answer.
Today i found a gym which has the barbell rack so i can squat cuz most of the GYMs here they have the smith machine only, so i was excited that i found that one and i went kept squatting with the barbell empty just to learn, then started my normal sets with 40 kg and it was easy so i added more 20 kg since on the smith machine i was doing 80 kg without the weight of the barbell, so i did few sets with 60 kg and on my last 5th set i went down and when i was trying to get up i simply couldnt so i tried to force myself up and i ended falling backward and i did hurt my lower back, it was such an experience but at least i knew my limit, and i learnd that the smith machine is nothing really it is so fake, i didnt get afriad of the natural barbell squat just need to heal from my lower back injury cuz i fall so hard on the floor.