T Nation

NEED HELP: Making Weight

I have a tournament in about 5 weeks, and I currently weigh 134 pounds. I need to get down to 125 pounds. I’ve already lost 4 pounds, and pretty much hit a wall. No matter how little I eat (and how clean), my weight won’t come down any further. It’s been the same for about 3 weeks.

So now I’m looking into other methods of getting down in weight, even if it’s just cutting water. I’ve tried walking around and spitting, but after 45 minutes of spitting, I only lost 0.2 pounds. I also tried the steam room. I stayed in the steam room for 20 minutes, at which point I thought I was on the verge of going unconscious… and only lost 1 pound.

I’m getting very very desperate. Does anyone know of any ways to drop 9 pounds, even if it’s just dehydration?

Walking around and spitting wont do it for you.

Go ahead and get a fiber supplement and start taking it. The day of the weigh in don’t eat or drink anything, do some cardio while wearing two sets of sweat suits before you leave to go weigh in. Work hard while doing it. Hopefully you’ll make weight, celebrate by drinking some pedialite.

If you just honestly can’t make the weight then you need to find a higher division.

here’s a thread i started a while ago, and i got some good advice from the Forum members here: http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_boxing_fighting_mma_combat/cutting_weight_4

EDIT: here’s another thread that touches on cutting: http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_boxing_fighting_mma_combat/my_first_mma_fight

i’d suggest reading through those, as there are several excellent methods of cutting weight prior to a comp. 9lbs might be a lot to cut (as water), though.

what’s your current bdft? when are your weigh-ins (day prior or on the event)? have you used any OTC fat bruners?

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, guys!

cyco, I’ll have a look at those threads.

My current level of body fat is 12%. I know there’s some fat left to cut, but no matter how hard I bust my butt, I’ve hit a wall. My diet is extremely clean now, and I’ve been stuck at 12% for the last 3 weeks.

Weigh-ins are 3 days prior to the tournament, and no, I’ve never used OTC fat burners. Are there any OTC fat burners that are any good?

[quote]kligor wrote:
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, guys!

cyco, I’ll have a look at those threads.

My current level of body fat is 12%. I know there’s some fat left to cut, but no matter how hard I bust my butt, I’ve hit a wall. My diet is extremely clean now, and I’ve been stuck at 12% for the last 3 weeks.

Weigh-ins are 3 days prior to the tournament, and no, I’ve never used OTC fat burners. Are there any OTC fat burners that are any good?[/quote]

Because you said “no matter how little I eat” you can’t lose fat by not eating… well you can just not effectively

[quote]Amiright wrote:
kligor wrote:
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, guys!

cyco, I’ll have a look at those threads.

My current level of body fat is 12%. I know there’s some fat left to cut, but no matter how hard I bust my butt, I’ve hit a wall. My diet is extremely clean now, and I’ve been stuck at 12% for the last 3 weeks.

Weigh-ins are 3 days prior to the tournament, and no, I’ve never used OTC fat burners. Are there any OTC fat burners that are any good?

Because you said “no matter how little I eat” you can’t lose fat by not eating… well you can just not effectively
[/quote]

I know. Even though the tournament is 5 weeks away, I haven’t lost any weight in 3 weeks. That’s why at this point, I don’t mind losing some muscle either to get down to the right weight.

Hey, this is actually a big cut for a little guy.

but not brain surgery- thanks for posting in my thread, but you could have just PM’d me.
just saying

Here is the deal its easy but not fun.

what are you competing in , Judo? BJJ? MMA? wrestling?
when are weight ins, 3 days before?
are there multiple weigh ins during the day- or weekend?

you need to manage your carb fiber and water and sodium.
I would assume your diet is already in check-
that you are eating lean protein, good fats and veggies for the most part

If your diet is not in check then you have bigger issues.

5 weeks out is not enough to panic.
and where are your coaches, teammates what have you on this?
why are you doing this uninformed?

you want to be taking in lots of water
more so then usual, to keep the water table full.
you should start to reduce your carb intake to fruits/veggies mostly low sugar as well.

and like someone mentioned try a fiber supplement to keep things “moving”

this alone should move a few pounds over a few weeks.

the last 5 or 6 lbs you are going to have to cut.
you can do it with water restriction.
spitting wont get you there, neither will shaving your head or standing on your head.

I liked to do it with an epsom salt bath helps with recovery, good for a few pounds of water.

the last few pounds , don a silver suit, plastic bag, then some sweats, heavy weight stuff
you want the kind with elastic on the cuffs
if you like you can use a liniment like abolene or something like it to sweat more.
I dont really like to use or advocate diuretics, as some are very strong, and make no claims as
to your health after using.

suit up , jump some rope, ride an exercise bike, you should be able to cut 5lbs in an hour or so.
when you practice this you can cut more.

thats it.
ugly but works.

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
Hey, this is actually a big cut for a little guy.

but not brain surgery- thanks for posting in my thread, but you could have just PM’d me.
just saying

Here is the deal its easy but not fun.

suit up , jump some rope, ride an exercise bike, you should be able to cut 5lbs in an hour or so.
when you practice this you can cut more.

thats it.
ugly but works.

[/quote]

Good point. You can train your body to drop a lot of water by sweating and to be used to doing it.

I used to drop 5-7 lbs each time I worked out (obviously just water weight and I’d drink it back on afterwards, but the point was that my body got used to dropping that much weight by sweating).

I’ll note that dropping weight for just a day didn’t seem to cause me any trouble at all. But cutting that way for a three day tournament had me pretty drained by the last day.

But once your body gets used to it, it is amazing just how easy it seems to be.

[quote]kligor wrote:
Amiright wrote:
kligor wrote:
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, guys!

cyco, I’ll have a look at those threads.

My current level of body fat is 12%. I know there’s some fat left to cut, but no matter how hard I bust my butt, I’ve hit a wall. My diet is extremely clean now, and I’ve been stuck at 12% for the last 3 weeks.

Weigh-ins are 3 days prior to the tournament, and no, I’ve never used OTC fat burners. Are there any OTC fat burners that are any good?

Because you said “no matter how little I eat” you can’t lose fat by not eating… well you can just not effectively

I know. Even though the tournament is 5 weeks away, I haven’t lost any weight in 3 weeks. That’s why at this point, I don’t mind losing some muscle either to get down to the right weight.[/quote]

At some point you just go up a weight class …

I ran out of body fat in high school, should have stopped one weight class before I did.

It worked out well enough.

On the other hand, in Judo, the weight class between 160 and 179 doesn’t exist. That is a 19 pound jump and building enough muscle to take you the rest of the way to 179 can be hard.

But Rhonda Rousey went from frustrated to cleaning up when she went up a weight class.

[quote]celebrate by drinking some pedialite.
[/quote]

First dual meet of season tonight…I can already taste the pedialite.

To OP, pretty much everything kmcnyc said is dead on.

Thanks a lot for the info, kmcnyc.

It’s extremely helpful.

I’ll follow it to the letter.