Need Help Gaining Weight

I’d recommend you try growing aggressively for a while. If your goal is 165 at 10% bodyfat, I’d attempt to get to 175 at 14% body fat (or whatever your current body fat is not sure how you measured) first. When you come down, you will lose a little bit of muscle, so just be aware that it’s often better to have too much muscle (if there is a thing) than not enough to look good after a cut.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Also, before, during, and immediately after lifting you should be flooding your body with carbs and fast-acting protein (what kind of protein is your post-WO shake?). If you’re trying to put on size, that’s one of the best times to throw down a bunch of liquid calories. something like Surge Recovery or Plazma would be better bets.
[/quote]

So would you do Plazma before and during the workout and Surge Recovery after.

[quote]HurricaneBob01 wrote:

Also, before, during, and immediately after lifting you should be flooding your body with carbs and fast-acting protein (what kind of protein is your post-WO shake?). If you’re trying to put on size, that’s one of the best times to throw down a bunch of liquid calories. something like Surge Recovery or Plazma would be better bets.
[/quote]

So would you do Plazma before and during the workout and Surge Recovery after.[/quote]

You don’t need SR if you use Plazma.

Plazma before is the most important. If I have it during I try to finish it 15-20 minutes before the end of my work out.

So just whey post workout?

sooooo…

you started lifting 3 months ago…

and you powerclean 165lbs??? for 5???

I say fucking prove it

[quote]Jarvan wrote:
sooooo…

I say fucking prove it
[/quote]

Will do. Care to put a bottle of Plazma on the line?

Not sure why that is even almost unbelievable but what ever.

[quote]Jarvan wrote:
sooooo…

I say fucking prove it
[/quote]

Will do. Care to put a bottle of Plazma on the line?[/quote]

I’ll throw in a pink lifting belt with embroidery.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:
sooooo…

I say fucking prove it
[/quote]

Will do. Care to put a bottle of Plazma on the line?[/quote]

I’ll throw in a pink lifting belt with embroidery.
[/quote]

Yeah, buddy!!! Now we’re talking!

[quote]Reed wrote:
Not sure why that is even almost unbelievable but what ever.[/quote]
x2. I’d don’t see it as unbelievable that a pretty light beginner could hit a just-above-bodyweight power clean within three months of steady training. But this could be the start of a possible Avatar Bet. Winner picks the loser’s (site appropriate) avatar that has to be kept for 60 days. Fellas, you game?

So just whey post workout?[/quote]
Like JFG said, you’d use either Plazma or Surge Recovery, no need for both. And really, if you’re using either one then you don’t need a separate whey post-workout. I’d either start with Surge Recovery one serving before and one during, or the Plazma one serving before and/or during (depending on budget).

About your training, I agree it could use some big tweaks if not a total overhaul, especially once you bump up your calories. But some quick notes: There’s nothing wrong with doing curls, it’s doing too many curls and not enough bigger stuff that can be a problem.

I agree you don’t need a dedicated “conditioning day”, but I’m not sure why you’re lifting 3 days in a row then resting two, then lifting on Saturday. I’d spread the weekly sessions out a bit unless that’s just how your schedule falls. Front squats after cleans are fine. You want to keep the cleans first so you’re more explosive on them.

this could be the start of a possible Avatar Bet. Winner picks the loser’s (site appropriate) avatar that has to be kept for 60 days. Fellas, you game?
[/quote]

I’m willing to bet a bottle of Plazma, but I’ll settle avatars.

About your training, I agree it could use some big tweaks if not a total overhaul, especially once you bump up your calories. But some quick notes: There’s nothing wrong with doing curls, it’s doing too many curls and not enough bigger stuff that can be a problem.[/quote]

I’m open to making changes. The reason I set up my program the way I did is because I have limited time during the week (I use the corporate gym at lunch, and the equipment is very limited).

I added the curls as a filler exercises so I wouldn’t have any down time between shoulder exercises. I’d rather do something that’s more useful, just don’t know what to do.

I agree you don’t need a dedicated “conditioning day”, but I’m not sure why you’re lifting 3 days in a row then resting two, then lifting on Saturday. I’d spread the weekly sessions out a bit unless that’s just how your schedule falls. Front squats after cleans are fine. You want to keep the cleans first so you’re more explosive on them. [/quote]

I made it that way to accommodate my schedule, but I could probably squeeze something in on Thursday. I’m now playing ice hockey on Wednesday nights, so I need to rethink my schedule anyway. Any help here is much appreciated as well.

Also, what are the general thoughts on snatches around here? I’d like to start doing them, but I’m not sure how to work them in.

I’m game, Chris and Bob.

I personally consider a 165lbs x5 power clean @145lbs bodyweight pretty impressive, mainly because he’s been at it for only 3 months.

I hope you prove me wrong Bob!

Challenge accepted. Might bump up to 175 tomorrow though. Will see how I feel. My knees are feeling a little rough.

[quote]Jarvan wrote:
sooooo…

I say fucking prove it
[/quote]

I personally did this within a month of starting training, or so my training journal says. It’s not a boast (obviously), I just don’t see why that would be in any way unbelievable.

[quote]Jarvan wrote:
sooooo…

I say fucking prove it
[/quote]

I’m on my phone. Did the video upload? I don’t see it.

Yeah its there but you filmed it upside down.

Damn. I uploaded it from my phone. I’ll see if I can fix it when I get to a computer.

175x5 at your bodyweight. I’m jealous.

Haha good job.