Need Help! Frustrated

Hey guys, its my first post here, but i have been training for 2-3years pretty solid. Pleas take the time to read this, it’ll help me a ton. Stats:

Height: 6’1
Weight: 170lbs

Lifts *1RM: Beginning Now
Deadlifts 95 335
Squat 55 245
Bench 45 185
OHP 45 125

My lifts have gone up well, my bodyweight has gone up from 140lbs to 170lbs, but i am still skinny fat! I hate it. i tried cutting for a bit this month at 2200 calories, carbs/prot at 200g, and fats between 70-90g. I wanted to cut a lot, but i realized I’m skinny fat STILL and now i wanna go back to gaining weight.

I need help with a diet that i can gain healthy weight. I don’t wanna gain a lot of fat and be a slob. I think one of my big problems in terms of gaining weights has been carbs, so i was gonna start eating 400-500g of carbs. Is that a bad idea?

Also, my arms never Grow! My arms now are bout 12inches - 13inches flexed. It sucks and is depressing. Any help with gaining size?

Last thing is, what routine would you suggest for gaining size? Ive been doing PHAT for several months, the first 3 months i made great profess, but now i haven’t made any and i know i need to switch it up.

If you need pictures of body comparison and bodyfat i can do that tomorrow if youd like.
Thanks for all the help!

I am by no means a pro but you must be doing something horrifically wrong if this is ‘2-3 yeas solid training’ anyway. No offence but you look like you’ve never stepped foot in a gym.

Why the hell did you try cutting when you wana grow? 170 @ 6’1 with 13’’ arms and you tried cutting?

There is a ton of information on this, read the articles and educate yourself. Also try posting your training routine.

I hate to say it: but lift, eat sleep repeat.

I notice it doesn’t look like I go to the gym, that’s why im pissed. I spent this entire time trying to make a solid foundation with my lifts and gaining strength, but i got little size along the way.

If you study, Your physique goes along pretty evenly with your 1 rep maxes relative to your height and weight.

Keep at it, and dont stuff your face , cause you dont need to.

5/3/1 bodybuilding template or kingbeefs

If your goal is to get bigger; it’s really quite simple-

-Eat a lot more. I’m a 5ft 7, 160lb and I eat more than you do. There’s plenty of bulking information on this forum, but if you’re scared of gaining fat then you can’t bulk.
-Lift harder. It took you 2-3 years to achieve lifts that took me about 6 months.
-Sprint. While this doesn’t actually make you bigger, it is just about the best conditioning work to add mass while keeping your bf low.

Really though, there’s a ton of info on this forum. Read them.

OP - how do you train?

OP, if you can’t even put a solid number on the amount of years you have been training I am going to assume your consistency is terrible. Furthermore, since your 2-3 years of training was done while going through puberty I am going to assume your intensity was also terrible.

Basically you are asking a bunch of questions about programs and diet when you haven’t even addressed the real issues. A teenager can do any legitimate program and eat garbage for the most part while achieving results as long as consistency and intensity are the corner stones of the program.

[quote]Ark94 wrote:
Weight: 170lbs

Lifts *1RM: Beginning Now
Deadlifts 95 335
Squat 55 245
Bench 45 185
OHP 45 125[/quote]

In July 2011, over a year and a half ago, you started a thread and said:
"I weight 179lbs morning weight. I have been training seriously and consistently since January, 2010.

My lifts are (1rm) : Deadlifts - 315lbs Bench - 185lbs Squat - 210lbs"

Is there a big chunk of story you’re not telling us? Break a leg? Move to a deserted island? Fall into a coma? Or were you just not actually focused on your goals the whole time?

Agree to disagree.

Based on that pic, I wouldn’t necessarily say you’re skinny fat. You’re just still developing and have quite a ways to go.

What, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

You’re definitely being harder on yourself than you need to be. You’re not anywhere close to being a fat slob, so don’t even stress about it.

Problem how? Like, you don’t eat enough? You feel physically bad when you eat them? You gorge on soda and chocolates as your main carb sources? You need a diet that provides plenty of calories form fats, protein, and carbs. Check this article to get a better idea of the foods to focus on:

As a basic rule of thumb though, if the scale isn’t moving up every week, you need more total calories from high-quality sources.

Call me crazy, but… curls and extensions?

You have a decent strength base, so I’d focus on good old fashioned bodybuilding.

Attack that type of plan 4 days a week for the next 3 or 4 months without interruption and, as long as you get your eating in line ASAP, you should get back on track.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Ark94 wrote:

Is there a big chunk of story you’re not telling us? Break a leg? Move to a deserted island? Fall into a coma? Or were you just not actually focused on your goals the whole time?

I didnt wanna make my post strenuous and long, but here it is. September 2011, i played Football, wasnt able to train because the practices everyday were physically and mentall exhuasting. I lost 20lbs over the football season, and injured my lower back towards the end. I ended up rehabilitating myself through stretching and strength training for a period or 10 months, and finally in November 2012 i could start squatting and deadlifting again! (probably the happiest day of my life lol) I have been focused on my goals, but i needed to learn my body and figure out why my injury occurred (severe lack of foam rolling, stretching and overload).

here’s what i ate:
Meal 1:
4 large whole eggs
4 slices whole wheat toast
2.5 cups strawberries
1cup blueberries, raspberries, blackberries

Meal 2:
2 cups brown rice
8-10 oz. stewed beef (made indian style, im brown.)

Meal 3:
1.5 cups Baked Yam (diced)
4oz. sausage
1 cup broccoli
1 glass orange juice w/ 1tsp creatine

Meal 3:
1 cup egg whites
2 scoops protein powder
1 cup broccoli
1 cup frozen mixed berries
1 tablespoon flax seed oil
1 cup mixed nuts

Meal 4:
1 cup quick oats oatmeal
1 cup frozen mixed berries
1 scoop protein powder

Meal 5:
I had subway after the gym, usually i have my shake (meal 3, but i had to go out)

Im sitting at 5 meals, but they are pretty dense. I am thinking of buying a clean weight gainer (i know… the irony) that doesnt have as much sugars in it, that way i can get in some more calories without having to spend so much on food.

How does that look?

Actually when i was going through puberty i had really bad acne, and stopped eating ALL carbs. That’s when i wanted to get big too, and i didnt see big results cause im guessing i wasnt fueling myself with carbs. Now after 4 years i am finally eating oatmeal, yams, bread, everything again. I NEVER eat chocolate, havent eaten chocolate, candies, anything sugary in over 5 years, plus only things i drink are Water and just recently, orange juice. No soda.

I am going to try out that routine you posted, thank you! Please critique my diet? Appreciate all the comments that have been constructive.

[quote]magick wrote:
If your goal is to get bigger; it’s really quite simple-

-Eat a lot more. I’m a 5ft 7, 160lb and I eat more than you do. There’s plenty of bulking information on this forum, but if you’re scared of gaining fat then you can’t bulk.
-Lift harder. It took you 2-3 years to achieve lifts that took me about 6 months.
-Sprint. While this doesn’t actually make you bigger, it is just about the best conditioning work to add mass while keeping your bf low.

Really though, there’s a ton of info on this forum. Read them.[/quote]

Thanks i am going to start sprinting when the weather gets better, for now i am doing 5-10 minutes of hard skipping and bodyweight plyometrics.

No offense, you are 5ft. 7, i am 6’1, im not surprised you got to where i am in 6 months. My body mechanics, range of motion, are extremely different then someone who is short.

You completely misinterpreted my comment on how long it took both of us to get where we at. Don’t be defensive; it’s the internet.

Besides, there are tons, TONS, of people who are roughly at your height and age who put on more weight and strength, without getting fat, than you did within 2-3 years. Hell, within 6 months. I am not entirely sure why you focused on body mechanics when it is only really relevant for squats.

[quote]magick wrote:
You completely misinterpreted my comment on how long it took both of us to get where we at. Don’t be defensive; it’s the internet.

Besides, there are tons, TONS, of people who are roughly at your height and age who put on more weight and strength, without getting fat, than you did within 2-3 years. Hell, within 6 months. I am not entirely sure why you focused on body mechanics when it is only really relevant for squats.[/quote]

I wasn’t being defensive, just stating reality but i did misinterpret it, my bad.

I don’t want to argue, but body mechanics is relevant to WAY more then just squats. Read up about it.

Anyways, anyone have input on my previous post, regarding diet? I am making the routine that was suggested and will post it here for a critique.

[quote]Ark94 wrote:
I didnt wanna make my post strenuous and long, but here it is. September 2011, i played Football, wasnt able to train because the practices everyday were physically and mentall exhuasting. I lost 20lbs over the football season, and injured my lower back towards the end. I ended up rehabilitating myself through stretching and strength training for a period or 10 months, and finally in November 2012 i could start squatting and deadlifting again![/quote]
Okay, this is what I was wondering. Good to know. I’m guessing you’re now 100% healthy regarding the low back problem? And are you still doing any sports? That would be another factor in how many calories you need.

[quote]Im sitting at 5 meals, but they are pretty dense. I am thinking of buying a clean weight gainer (i know… the irony) that doesnt have as much sugars in it, that way i can get in some more calories without having to spend so much on food.

How does that look?[/quote]
I didn’t run the numbers, but make sure you’re getting enough quality protein seven days a week. That could be one reason why your strength has been going up but you weren’t seeing much in the way of added muscle. If you’re going to eat five times a day, shoot for 40-50 grams of protein in each meal.

In terms of total calories, like I said before, if you’re not gaining size, you need to increase total intake until the scale starts moving up. If you’re looking for inexpensive way to do that, try searching the forums (white box at the top right) because it’s a common question. Eggs are always a good call. Whole eggs because yolks are yellow balls of muscle-building goodness.

The majority of “weight gain powders” are full of junk calories (sugar and/or fats), so you’re almost always better off making your own high-calorie shakes using a good protein powder and other mix-ins (like peanut butter, whole milk, fruit, a little olive oil, whatever).