Need Help For Baseball

hey everyone, im new here and i was wondering if anyone had a good work out regiment for a baseball player, im 15 and im really talented, but my body has started to slow me down this season, and i need a complete blow out to comeback next year and make an impression on the coaches, im a Pitcher and a starting catcher for

my high school team, and i wanna make varsity next year… would REALLY apprecitate the help… baseball means everything to me so committing to a workout will be plenty easy

Id look at west side for skinny bastards add in the game and sprint/conditioning work. and/or look into buying Eric Cresseys off season training manual

Phill

look for exercises that emphasize a throwing motion for more power there (such as grabbing a medicine ball with both hands and making the body motion) and core work. Try some olympic/explosive stuff, its great for baseball due to the nature of the game.

Best two tips I can offer aside from what has already been said:

1. Maintain shoulder and elbow health. Will do wonders down the road.

2. Make sure to hit the lower body hard. Majority of your throwing and hitting power is going to start from your legs and hips.

-LH

thanks guys, but what kind of workout would you recommend for like a complete week basis? cuz i got about 365 days til baseball starts again so i’d like to get started as soon as possible so i can build some muscle up during the off season

thanks guys, but what kind of workout would you recommend for like a complete week basis? cuz i got about 365 days til baseball starts again so i’d like to get started as soon as possible so i can build some muscle up during the off season

[quote]LevelHeaded wrote:
Best two tips I can offer aside from what has already been said:

1. Maintain shoulder and elbow health. Will do wonders down the road.

2. Make sure to hit the lower body hard. Majority of your throwing and hitting power is going to start from your legs and hips.

-LH[/quote]

2nd.

I understand that I have to work on my shoulders and my triceps, forearms, hips, core and legs. I just need to know a good work out plan that will cover all those parts to the max.

I used to work out when i was younger, and that was very basic stuff, but i need something that will push every part of me to a whole new level… up until now, just working on houses with my dad was enough to keep me a level with everyone else

???

[quote]Mikel0428 wrote:
look for exercises that emphasize a throwing motion for more power there (such as grabbing a medicine ball with both hands and making the body motion)…[/quote]

No offensive man, but that’s an ineffective, and potentially dangerous, idea.

Cosgrove, Cressey, Robertson and others have all used a similar analogy for this situation; If a baseball player came to them, the first thing they would do is train the opposing throwing muscles (like the biceps and upper back), and the absolute last thing they would do is to mimic the actual throwing motion against resistance. This advice is 100% spot-on.

If you were to work these same muscles in the weight room, they’d quickly get overtrained, and it would only encourage muscle imbalances (which lead to injury). I dare you to keep track of how many “reps” of throws you do during your next practice or game. You’ll lose count for sure. Anatomically, the muscles that are supposed to balance these throwing muscles need just as much attention, if not more.

So, unless your league is using an 8-pound baseball, there’s no point in training with resistance that way. Use the weight room for building a stronger and faster body, then use time on the field in practice to translate that strength and speed for the game.

Just as important as the rotator cuff/shoulder/scapula area is the hips, abs (core), and grip. A weak point in any of those three, and it doesn’t matter if your shoulder is super-healthy.

[quote]TheBrickWall wrote:
I understand that I have to work on my shoulders and my triceps, forearms, hips, core and legs. I just need to know a good work out plan that will cover all those parts to the max.

I used to work out when i was younger, and that was very basic stuff, but i need something that will push every part of me to a whole new level… up until now, just working on houses with my dad was enough to keep me a level with everyone else[/quote]

You used to work out when you were younger…and you’re 15 now? Okee dokee.

You might want to consider checking out Mike Robertson and Bill Hartman’s “Inside Out Warm-up” DVD:
http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?Clk=1982649

It’s definitely at the top of the list for preventing injuries and warming-up the upper body super-effectively.

Also, I’m going to presume that you’re familiar with weight training, but what kind of things have you done in the past (or actually, most recently)?

[quote]
You used to work out when you were younger…and you’re 15 now? Okee dokee.

Also, I’m going to presume that you’re familiar with weight training, but what kind of things have you done in the past (or actually, most recently)?[/quote]

Ya, I worked out from 10 to 14

I’m somewhat familiar with most weight training, i used to do close griped bench press, squats, curls, inclined curls, reverse curls, wrist rollers, leg press, calf press, sit ups and push ups

so i was just hoping you guys could make basically a 7 day work out regiment for me, concentrating on the core

westside for skinny bastards, look it up

The reason I suggested it is because of some friends of mine who went through a pitching power program. my brother went in throwing 74 mph, and left hitting about 86. the entire program didn’t touch a baseball, but rather emphasize throwing motions and negative type movements, thats just one exercise they performed.