T Nation

Need Help Evaluating my Diet.

I am 28 years old, recovering from a severe wreck that had me in a wheel chair for a while. Since being able to walk again I have stayed pretty consistent with excercise but, am starting to learn more about dieting and nutrition by the day.

Any help or critisism is more than welcome whether you want to say good job or I’m a rookie idiot. Please though, if your reply is “you’re a rookie idiot”, follow that up with tips to correct my beginners ignorance. lol…

I am 6’-2" 200lbs. I am looking to cut my body fat% on this diet. I can’t run or jog due to leg injuries in the accident so I walk 6 - 8 miles at 4 - 4.5 mph every day. It generally keeps my heart rate around 130bpm. I am losing fat but, would just like a general evaluation. Oh, and I’d say I’m around 10 - 11% Body Fat but, I haven’t been measured… Just guessing.

My typical days log consists of:

I wake up at 7:00
Breakfast - 7:45
4 egg white
2 whole eggs
24oz skim milk

Total Macros are: 458 Calories, 10g Fat, 38.4g Carbs, 50.6g Protien

Snack - 10:00
5oz 96% lean ground beef
1/4 cup Fat Free Cheddar Cheese
1 Medium size Tomato
2 Tablespoons Salsa

Total Macros are: 261 Calories, 6.25g Fat, 10g Carbs, 40g Protien

Lunch - 12:30
5oz 96% lean ground beef
1/4 cup Fat Free Cheddar Cheese
1 Medium size Tomato
2 Tablespoons Salsa
1 Cup raw Broccoli
2 Strawberries for dessert

Total Macros are: 308 Calories, 7g Fat, 19.8g Carbs, 43.1g Protien

Snack - 3:30
7oz Grilled Chicken Breast
1/2 cup raw Broccoli

Total Macros are: 204 Calories, 5.5g fat, 2.3 Carbs, 41.5g Protien

Snack - 6:00
7oz Grilled Chicken Breast
1/2 cup Brown Rice
1/4 spear Koscher Pickle

Total Macros are: 275 Calories, 6.5g fat, 18.3g Carbs, 41.5g Protien

Directly after eating is my workout (Mainly Cardio but, some weight lifting)

Dinner - 8:30
4oz New York Strip w/ all fat trimmed off (Grilled)
4 Strawberries
1 cup Fresh Green Beans
1 slice Angel Food Cake (to replinish muscles after workout)

Total Macros are: 449 Calories, 9.5g Fat, 53.4g Carbs (mainly sugars from the Angel Food), 40g Protien

In bed around 10 and sleep for 9 hours.

Total Macros for the day are: 1,955 Calories, 45g Fat, 142g Carbs, 257g Protien

20% Fat, 30% Carbs, and 50% Protien

I know many will probably frown upon the Angel Food cake post workout but, I learned that from the Milos Sarcev “Secrets of the Pro’s” Seminar.

All the macro measurements were calculated either from the labels or my complete food almanac.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

One more thing, I sit behind a desk for 8 hours a day so I could go less carbs if recomended. As it is, I have tons of energy throught the entire day.

Recovering from an acciedent, you shouldnt be on a fat loss diet. You could use a few months on a normal diet before cutting. If your set on cutting for the summer (which i know i am too) then depending on how your body handles carbs, you should drop them down. You need to encorporate more fat into your diet, but keep the same calorie count. The extra fat will make your body use fat as its source of fuel, thereby using the fat you ingest and the fat you have stored.

Depending on how fast you want to lose the fat too, try checking out Thib’s Ketogenic Diet or Berardi’s Get Shredded Diet. Ive used it and it works really great. But yeah, try to add more fat, like a 50% fat, 40% protein, 10% carbs.

Good luck!
BA

Thanks for the advice…

What would happen if I ate VERY low carbs and VERY low fat? Since I work behind a desk, my energy expenditure isn’t that much throughout the day. So my thinking is that if I don’t need any more energy then why should I consume more of the macros for energy?

well dropping them super low will slow your metabolism as well as decrease other hormones your body produces. On a low carb diet you need the fat, otherwise your body will start using protein for energy, i.e. muscle mass. Probably not what you want. You can lower your caloric intake, but keep the percentages the same, keeping protein within reason (probably close to 190-250g depending on the day)