Need Help Dropping 20-30 Pounds

I am in need of real help! I was injured in Iraq and have 18+ years. My endocrine system is shot and they have me taking Androgel (10mg) twice a day. I can’t remember what the exact level was but for men the test level was supposed to be over 300 and mine is about 100.

I am awaiting a L4 thru S1 fusion (should be Jan. 21st if the military insurance doesn’t deny it “AGAIN”) and now to the main reason for this. If I do not make my height/weight after the surgery then I will not be allowed to go back active duty and retire. This is the only income for my family!! I have tried to get in contact with different websites for advice on their weight loss products but nobody writes back. I have even tried to find some winnie, figured that could get some of this water weight down.

I am on a 1300 calorie a day diet and can do some light lifting and walking/bike riding. I need to drop 20 to 30 pounds by April, is this possible? I would appreciate responses from senior
members!! Thank You!!

Is this a joke (1300 calories)? You can always starve yourself, but you won’t be able to keep the weight down in the long haul.

[quote]rushtk wrote:
I am in need of real help! I was injured in Iraq and have 18+ years. My endocrine system is shot and they have me taking Androgel (10mg) twice a day. I can’t remember what the exact level was but for men the test level was supposed to be over 300 and mine is about 100.

I am awaiting a L4 thru S1 fusion (should be Jan. 21st if the military insurance doesn’t deny it “AGAIN”) and now to the main reason for this. If I do not make my height/weight after the surgery then I will not be allowed to go back active duty and retire. This is the only income for my family!! I have tried to get in contact with different websites for advice on their weight loss products but nobody writes back. I have even tried to find some winnie, figured that could get some of this water weight down.

I am on a 1300 calorie a day diet and can do some light lifting and walking/bike riding. I need to drop 20 to 30 pounds by April, is this possible? I would appreciate responses from senior
members!! Thank You!!

[/quote]

20 lbs by April is definitely achievable. In your case, daily cardio is probably a good idea, but I would keep your calories higher than 1300. What is your current height and weight?

Considering your injury, I think Tabata thrusters or Tabata BW squats is a safe place to go as far as losing fat is concerned.

I understand your delima, I gained a lot of weight when I was in the Army after a knee injury. I lost close to 60lbs in six months by drinking only protein shakes for meals throughout the day, and one solid low carb meal at night. Once I started it the weight just seemed to melt off. By the end of thbe year I had lost close to 90lbs. This is similar to the Velocity Diet I have seen on here, so you might want to check it out. Best of luck and thank you for your service.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Considering your injury, I think Tabata thrusters or Tabata BW squats is a safe place to go as far as losing fat is concerned.[/quote]

No, that is horrible advice in regard to the thrusters-he has a back injury that requires surgery-do you honestly think that he should be doing loaded interval training with his upper body? Bodyweight squat tabatas may work later on, but first, you need basics: Diet, ss cardio. High intensity stuff can be worked up to, but he needs to get the basics worked out before moves on to more advanced things like high intensity cardio.

I greatly appreciate the help! I am only supposed to do the cardio my physical therapist allows but I have been sneaking in bike rides. The reason my endocrine system is shot is due to the number of steroid/morphine epidurals that I received at the Baghdad ER in one month (5). Thanks again for any help!

The hospital has me on a 1300 calorie diet and I am currently 5’8 and 230. I am very broad shouldered and chested (Tree stump). If I can drop 20 I know that I can make the measurements for neck and waist and then they have to let me retire normally or medically.

[quote]rushtk wrote:
The hospital has me on a 1300 calorie diet and I am currently 5’8 and 230. I am very broad shouldered and chested (Tree stump). If I can drop 20 I know that I can make the measurements for neck and waist and then they have to let me retire normally or medically. [/quote]

The hospital diet will most likely make you lose weight, especially if you are excessively heavy. Are you on bed rest? I can see them keeping your calories very low if you are not allowed to be very active.

I’m at home on a get fixed at home deal but am trying to do what the nutritionist has asked me to do.

[quote]rushtk wrote:
I’m at home on a get fixed at home deal but am trying to do what the nutritionist has asked me to do.[/quote]

If you are working with a nutritionist, then explain to them your reasons for absolutely needing to lose the weight and they may be able to help you out more than I.

Unfortunately I did but the military requirements don’t hold much water them. They don’t realize the severity of not making weight or the fact that the more weight that is gone will help with the recovery after the fusion.

[quote]rushtk wrote:
Unfortunately I did but the military requirements don’t hold much water them. They don’t realize the severity of not making weight or the fact that the more weight that is gone will help with the recovery after the fusion.[/quote]
I have been out since 99 but unless things have changed, as long as you are making progress, they won’t discharge for being overweight. I know I was on the fat boy program for well over a year. As far as losing the weight though, I don’t know of anything that will take it off faster than low/no carb diet.

The night before and the day of the weigh-in, lose as much water weight as you can. Several grappling websites will have very in depth and effective instructions for this. The hardest part is fighting the cotton-mouth and the urge to quench your thirst. I went from 197 to 189 in about twenty-four hours by drinking about 36 oz of fluids and sweating a lot (sauna, running, etc.). Not a long term solution, but it works when you have to “make weight.”

The night before and the day of the weigh-in, lose as much water weight as you can. Several grappling websites will have very in depth and effective instructions for this. The hardest part is fighting the cotton-mouth and the urge to quench your thirst. I went from 197 to 189 in about twenty-four hours by drinking about 36 oz of fluids and sweating a lot (sauna, running, etc.). Not a long term solution, but it works when you have to “make weight.”

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
The night before and the day of the weigh-in, lose as much water weight as you can. Several grappling websites will have very in depth and effective instructions for this. The hardest part is fighting the cotton-mouth and the urge to quench your thirst. I went from 197 to 189 in about twenty-four hours by drinking about 36 oz of fluids and sweating a lot (sauna, running, etc.). Not a long term solution, but it works when you have to “make weight.”[/quote]

This would work if it were just going by the scale, but the army uses, or used to use girth measurements around the neck and abdomin to calculate bodyfat. In my experience, losing water weight takes off the pounds, but not many inches.

It is very much possible to lose the weight. I would suggest pre-breakfast cardio, 30-45 minutes every day by walking or riding a bike, since you say you already do that. Also perform some cardio in the evening as well if you are able to. Since your diet is pretty low in cals, and it is a fixed plan for you, make sure you are eating lean cuts of meats, veggies, and healthy fats, if it is not already in your diet.

Good luck and thanks for your service.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Considering your injury, I think Tabata thrusters or Tabata BW squats is a safe place to go as far as losing fat is concerned.

No, that is horrible advice in regard to the thrusters-he has a back injury that requires surgery-do you honestly think that he should be doing loaded interval training with his upper body? Bodyweight squat tabatas may work later on, but first, you need basics: Diet, ss cardio. High intensity stuff can be worked up to, but he needs to get the basics worked out before moves on to more advanced things like high intensity cardio.[/quote]

Hmm, I meant lightweight thrusters coz the load wouldn’t be that taxing on his back (doing them heavy is very hard, injured or not), and considering he’s from the army, I guess he has enough GPP to engage in Tabata. Then again, his endocrine problem may affect his work capacity, so even though it ain’t as effective, SS cardio would be the safer activity.

I will definitely look into these options. I just have to be careful of how much impact on my back (any type of constant movement causes me to have severe spasms that make me go into a fetal position). I’m at the point where you look at all the problems and just say damn he’s screwed…grin…