T Nation

Need Help, Don't Know What To Do

Hey everyone I need help BAD…

I’ve been living in the city going to a good gym and seein some great changes to my body and constantly pushing more weight.

Now my problem, I’ve moved to a super remote ecological resort by the beach for work. There is super limited weights and limited equipment, bench and a few weight bars and dumb bells.
I’ve come from increasing the weight constantly seeing great gains to havin almost no weights…!!!

How can I carry on my training, should I just load up all the weights and start repping out to failure or do high number sets and reps???

I need help BAD please…

Thanks loads Neil.

[quote]irvs wrote:
Now my problem, I’ve moved to a super remote ecological resort by the beach for work. There is super limited weights and limited equipment, bench and a few weight bars and dumb bells.[/quote]
Any chance you have an idea of exactly what you’ve got to work with?

If your goals are strength-based, then going as heavy as possible will obviously be the limiting factor. If your goals are more appearance-based (size or fat loss), then there’s definitely more flexibility and ways to “get more” out of a lighter weight. Playing with tempo, intensity techniques like drop sets, pre-exhaust, and negatives, etc.

Also, in general, the less equipment available the more useful bodyweight variations can become. If you can invest in a good band set, even better. They can be used by themselves or “added to” the dumbbells/barbells for increased resistance.

Or there’s always that, yep. :wink:

Some related reading:

How much weight and how much equipment? Honestly the longer I train the more I realize that more equipment does not mean better. You can get amazing results with JUST a rack, bench, and barbell. One of the coaches on this site (Christian Thibaudeau) exclusively trains with one lift a day and just varies to parameters. At most he uses one or two different kinds of bars, a bench, and weights, and he is beyond impressive physique AND strength wise.

Something like 5/3/1 which is very minimalist can work here too.

Guys like Kirk Karwoski and Ed Coan also used routines built almost solely on “just” having a barbell and weights.

Think of the body and strength you will have if you built up to benching 315x20, pressing 225x10, squating 405x20, deadlifting 495x20 … Beastly to say the least.

Now… If you are telling me the gym has very little weight to work with, thats a different issue. If you have a coin you might even buy a few 45lb plates and keep them there to use.

I went through a similar situation a little over a year ago. I just did BW stuff and really worked on my conditioning (longer runs, hill work, beach running, throwing large rocks, etc.). Some of it is in my log… the results (over about 3 months), my squat came down a bit, as you’d expect, but upper body lifts only dropped maybe 10-15 lbs.

If you’ll be there for a while, you could invest in some homemade stuff (if you can’t find anything around).

There’s also these:
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/most_recent/third_world_workouts&cr=
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/the_thirdworld_squat&cr=

Cheers for the quick replies lads, your a huge help. There roughly 70kg in weights, a bench, dumb bells and a preacher curler.

I had a quick workout last night, beach run and lots off burpies and push ups. Been thinking of changing my routine to explosive lifting.

I just wanna get big have been doin so well in my eating and training, all my mates seen a difference in me and liked it. Just goin to be hard to keep the weight on with limited food and training.

Hanks again for the info lads your a big help, I’ll get a read at the links when I’m finished work.

Thanks Neil.

[quote]irvs wrote:
Cheers for the quick replies lads, your a huge help. There roughly 70kg in weights, a bench, dumb bells and a preacher curler.
[…]
I just wanna get big have been doin so well in my eating and training, all my mates seen a difference in me and liked it. Just goin to be hard to keep the weight on with limited food and training. [/quote]

You can switch to working on unilateral work with a barbell and those weights.

Things like one arm barbell overhead pressing, one arm barbell deadlifts, windmills with a barbell overhead, etc.

They’re not lifts that are popular today, but that doesn’t mean they don’t work. They’ve just fallen out of favor.

70kg is light, not much you can do there. If you are going to be there for a long while, and you are serious about training, I would consider buying some weights for the gym. If you can take it from 70kg to even 110kg that is going to be a massive difference in the load you can lift for certain exercises… Hell, if you can do it and can afford it I recommend even getting more weight than that (315 pounds would be good for a long while.)

Hey chaps again thanks for the info, sadly I’m working for free but I’m getting my bed and all foods for the work. I do get paid work at the weekends but I’ll need that to survive once I’ve my 3 months finished so no weights getting bought.

I’m really liking the idea of single arm EVERYTHING and I’ve got a tree close bye I can do pull ups on I’ve also found big heavy assed fishing buoys I’m thinking of using them for like a “shot putt” exercise, even tying a long oral to them and doing sprints trying to twe them behind me.

It’s actually getting fun, everything I look at a lump of rock, steal or wool I’m thinking how and what exercise I can do with it, REAL cave man training.

I must get a few pics of the things I use and the way I use them could be helpful to someone.

Thanks LOADS guys,
Neil.

[quote]irvs wrote:
There roughly 70kg in weights, a bench, dumb bells and a preacher curler.[/quote]
Yeah, that’s going to be a rough barebones setup. Again, if there’s any way you can pick up a set of bands, there’d be that many more options. Or find a cheap, used duffle bag or rucksack, fill a garbage bag with sand from the beach, toss bag 2 into bag 1, and work with it.

If anything, a slower tempo will let you squeeze more results out of a lighter weight. Slow, controlled positives focused 100% on feeling the target muscle contract, a hard squeeze for maximum muscle contraction, and a slow, deliberate negative. Treat each individual rep like it’s the only one you’re doing that day.

These articles have more info on how to work with techniques like rest-pause, static holds, partials, etc:

Think about setting yourself up on a higher intensity, relatively-lower volume program along those lines. It’s one popular method of straight-forward bodybuilding. Even with your available equipment, you should be able to figure out 2-4 exercises per bodypart that you can hit hard.

While definitely not ideal, I think you should be able to make good progress with just that equipment.

I agree with LoRez on the single limb exercises. High rep 70kg bulgarian split squats for example can definitely add good size to your legs, and single leg deadlifts are awesome though it might take a few sessions to master the technique. You can also do bodyweight work like pistol squats and back extensions.

70kg should be enough for overhead press and Meadow rows and even bent over rows if you keep the reps high. It is definitely enough for curls and tricep extensions.

I think the only bodypart you’ll struggle to work with 70kg is the chest. What you could do is work on one-arm push-ups and also bench press with a extra wide grip as advocated by Serge Nubret.