T Nation

Need help designing a program

First off, a little background information about myself. I’m 19 years old, 6’1" and 210lbs, with around 25% body fat. Not too impressive, i know. I won’t deny it, i used smoke both cigs and weed, eat unhealthy food, and never took exercising seriously up until a month ago - so this is the result. But i’ve left all that behind me. I quit smoking a year ago, and finally gave up weed ten months later. About a month ago i picked up the Bowflex Power Pro, and started eating healthy - about 1500 cal/day, with 60/20/20 carb/prot/fat ratio.

So i’ve been following the ‘body building program’ on the Bowflex for the last month, which takes up about 40 minutes every 3 days out of 4. For those who are unfamiliar with it, specifics are attached below. So far, i’m satisfied with the results - i’ve only lost 10lbs, but i also gained a decent amount of muscle. In addition to that, i also took up jogging, and purchased the Bowflex leg attachment, which i’m going to put to use after i move next week.

Problem is, i lack the knowledge to piece all of this together. The body building program doesn’t make use of the leg attachment, and only the “Bowflex body leanness program” does. What’s the problem, you might ask? Well, the program looks too damn easy. It’s a one-day-on-one-day-off dealie, only takes 25-30 min to complete, and according to the manual, cannot be used with other exercises, such as jogging. Now, i want go push myself real hard, and this isn’t what i had in mind.

So would someone here mind helping me design my own program? I want results, and i’m willing to work hard to achieve them. If working out for three hours a day is what it takes, then that’s what i’ll do. I just want to make sure i’m not wasting my time with an unefficient program.

Not sure about the bowflex program, but i’d up the cals a little, up the protein, decrease the carbs, and make sure your carbs are coming mostly from low GI foods and your getting your EFA’s. I think you could still continue to do the jogging though. Oh, and don’t workout for 3 hours a day.

Well, I’m not a big fan of Bowflex, but if it’s working for you… At 25% body fat, I would recommend maybe something closer to a 40/40/20 ratio, but your best bet would be to go to the Testosterone FAQ which should give you some good ideas on how the cut down the bodyfat. It seems like your caloric intake may be a little to low – that’ll just slow down your metabolism.

Hi Max

It’s good to see you’re started on a healthy road. If you post the exact details of the workouts I’m sure we could be of more help. Also, spend some time looking around t-mag.

Personally, I believe that diet is a bigger factor than manner of workout for fat loss at higher BF%. I also concur with what is written above regarding total calories and macronutrient breakdown. As regards the workouts, the biggest issue will be whether or not you’re creating muscle imbalances by ignoring or giving short shrift to certain body parts.

If you do have the option of getting to a gym, I would learn the basics of form from someone who really knows his shit, slowly up the weights while continuing to use the bowflex, but tapering off its usage.

-Eric

Thanks for reminding me - i was going to post this, but completely forgot. Below, is a link to the Bowflex training manual. Scroll down for detailed information on the programs in question. The program i’m currently on is the ‘body building’ program on page 13. As for the program that utilizes the leg attachment, it’s the ‘Bowflex body leanness program,’ that can be found on page 53.

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this document, and if you can get it, use the link below to download it. I would have posted a text version of this, but there is just too much information.

Also, I will go over the T FAQ later today and learn whatever i can.

Bowflex Training Manual
www.bowflex.com/pdf/ manual_powerpro.pdf

www.adobe.com/products/ acrobat/readstep2.html

Free weights will probably give you the best results, but if you work out hard and have your diet figured out, you could probably get decent results with the Bowflex. Just remember, the people who designed the “Bowflex workout” are trying to make money, not make you more muscular. There aren’t too many good workouts you could do with a Bowflex, but you might want to look into a workout called HST. You’d probably be able to pull this off, but if you can get to a gym, do it. Oh yeah, and you’ve come to the right place!

It is kind of hard to make suggestions as to a workout program without some insight into what your goals are, what you are trying to achieve. At any rate you don’t need someone to do it for you, all the info is here for free, the reading and research is actually fun and will pay off in spades. If you have just found the site there is enough very useful stuff in the back issues to keep you learning and improving for a long time. Good luck and hve fun.

Getting to the gym would be problematic, so i prefer to work out at home. I’ll sticl with the Bowflex for the time being, but next year, i may sell it off and look into making my own gym at home.

As for my goals - my highest priority is to definitely lose the excess weight as soon as possible. Gaining muscle is secondary to that goal, and will remain that way until i achieve it.

I’ve started reading the FAQ, but it will be several days before i read each and every article linked to it. I look forward to being able to design my own program. If anyone has any tips they’d like to throw in here, please feel free to do so. Any info on Bowflex workouts, including the HST would be appreciated.

Max: Just type in “HST” and “EDT” in the search engine on the T-nation home page for articles on these routines. They are also frequently discussed on the forum, but read the articles first.

Thanks, checking them out now. I was using the wrong search engine before - the one on the forum sidebbar :slight_smile: