Need Help Critiquing Diet! Carb Back Loading?

Meal 1 - Usually a protein shake, or eggs with oatmeal - multi vitamin, fish oil
meal 2 - a bagel sandwich including 3 types of meat and cheese
Meal 3 - preworkout meal (after school before gym) Depense on how hungry I am, usually something small like a peanut-butter sandwich, or more oatmeal (30 min after meal I take preworkout)
Meal 4 - post workout universal - real gains weight gainer shake on way home
Meal 5 - Chicken breast, and mashed potatoes with maybe a salad or veggies
Meal 6 - Chipotle, or any other big meal with lots of carbs n protein.

I wana hear what you guys have to say about CBL?

• Ive heard numerous things about it and what should my diet look like if I were to try out Carb back loading?

I’ve Been lifting seriously for about 4 years, when i started lifting i was the smallest kid on the football team weighing about 120 pounds my freshman year of highschool, ever since then i’ve put on about 37 pounds of LBM naturally through clean eating, hard training, and adequate rest. i train about 4-5 days a week try not to overtrain usually go by feel… if i feel i can hit the gym more than 4-5 days a week i might hit it 5-6 times
157 BDW-- 5"10 7% bf tested by calipers
Strength:
365 deadlift
235 bench
295 squat

any advice is much apreciated! - Mike

I didn’t look at your diet, because it means nothing

do you know how many calories that is?

Do you know how many you need to grow?

There are Carb backloading threads in the supplement/nutrition section

Calories in > Calories out.

Do yourself a favor and put CBL on hold til you learn to calculate and map out the most basic baseline diets for losing, maintaining, and gaining and getting an overall solid nutrition education.

Your lifts are VERY good.

i like the feedback - i want to propose another question for you guys.

Would CBL be reccomended for somebody with already Low bodyfat?

im just trying to pack on as much mass/ size possible
i want to start competing in the next 2-3 years

[quote]Mikedeag wrote:
Calories in > Calories out.[/quote]

yes, but this didn’t answer my question.

just eat and lift make sure the scale is going in the right direction and make sure to look in the mirror and make sure you arn’t getting too fat too fast.

Obviously add more food (protein carbs and fat) if you arn’t growing in the right places.

oh and for general health you should add more vegetables of all colors, that would be the very first thing that I did.

[quote]Mikedeag wrote:

[/quote]

If you knew enough about basic nutrition–which should always be dealt with before moving onto more esoteric strategies–you probably wouldn’t ask this question.

Again, do yourself a favor and put CBL on hold. You can’t even or won’t take the time to calculate the calories and macronutrients of your current diet.

[quote]Mikedeag wrote:
i like the feedback - i want to propose another question for you guys.

im just trying to pack on as much mass/ size possible
i want to start competing in the next 2-3 years[/quote]

I haven’t read a whole lot about it but I believe the goal is to get bigger while staying leaner than the typical bulk style bodybuilding plans

I’ve watched some guys get lean on it, and I’m sure they have put on some muscle too.

it is relatively new too.

But from what I’ve seen it hasn’t really created any monsters.

If your goal is to look good, stay pretty lean while adding some muscle, perhaps it is the way to go.

And I’m not going to tell you to get fat. (TO EVERYONE THAT READS THIS I REPEAT I’M NOT TELLING HIM TO GET FAT)

but most of the guys I’ve seen that have gotten remarkably bigger really fast naturally have done an extended bulk.

I’ve even seen Martin (the creator of Lean Gains) say once that the more calories you eat the more muscle you will gain the problem is there is a point where gains in the fat to muscle ratio become very disproportionate. And trust me you don’t want to wake up be 30% bf and spend over a year cutting this is where I am now.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]Mikedeag wrote:

[/quote]

If you knew enough about basic nutrition–which should always be dealt with before moving onto more esoteric strategies–you probably wouldn’t ask this question.

Again, do yourself a favor and put CBL on hold. You can’t even or won’t take the time to calculate the calories and macronutrients of your current diet. [/quote]

agreed

Thanks for the replies, Brickhead I Know Basic nutrition I’m just too damn lazy to type out every last calorie im taking in per day you know?

It’s not like I’m eating the exact 3.5k calories a day on the dot

It varies from about 3k - 4k

I’m eating “roughly” 40% protein 40% carbs 20% fat

I’m not going to write down macros that I “eat every day” because I don’t eat the same shit day to day
It depends on what I have and how I feel, how hungry I am

What matters most is I’m gaining LBM by eating every 2-3 hours and getting adequate nutrition to grow

I tried CBL and have some friends who really like it. They’ve been successful losing fat, gaining muscle, or recomping with that approach.

I’d say it comes down to how well it suits your lifestyle and preferences. If you find that you are generally happy with the way your current approach is structured, just stick with it. If it’s not working out for some reason and you find it a struggle to stick to a plan that allows you to hit your targets without too much anguish, then change it up and give some of these other approaches a try.

In the end, you’ll probably end up going with the one that suits your lifestyle best, because you’ll be more likely to adhere to it in the long-term.

CBL is definitely worth a shot and I doubt you’ll have any kind of setback even if it doesn’t work out, so give it a try.

Not sure if anyone will take the time to spell out the answer to your initial question about what your diet should look like if you try CBL. There is an entire book on it, so it would take some time to lay out the plan, even in basic terms. But I can tell you that your diet would look like you were loading up the carbs towards the back of the day. The oatmeal, bagels, and bread in your first three meals of the day would be out, so compared to your current approach this would be quite a shift.

[quote]Mikedeag wrote:
Thanks for the replies, Brickhead I Know Basic nutrition I’m just too damn lazy to type out every last calorie im taking in per day you know?

It’s not like I’m eating the exact 3.5k calories a day on the dot

It varies from about 3k - 4k

I’m eating “roughly” 40% protein 40% carbs 20% fat

I’m not going to write down macros that I “eat every day” because I don’t eat the same shit day to day
It depends on what I have and how I feel, how hungry I am

What matters most is I’m gaining LBM by eating every 2-3 hours and getting adequate nutrition to grow[/quote]

count your calories. there is a big difference between 3-4k calories in one day. also eating every 2-3 hours is not superior to eating 2-3 meals a day, its personal prefernece.