Need For Speed

This new ab routine is starting to get easy, maybe I’ll slow it down a bit. Make it burn a little more. Never been big on doing abs, but I sure do like having them. I think one of the best things about being lean and in great shape at fifty is getting even with women for torturing me in my youth. Revenge really is sweet lol.

I’m really looking forward to a week off. My body is speaking volumes to me. I’ll be bored within two days but I’ll suffer through it. Eat lots so I can burn it off latter lol!

Legs and Back today, started good with 14 reps of Chin-ups and it was down hill from there. Got through the legs okay. The Pull-ups and Chin-ups however went straight in to the toilet.

I was supposed to take a week off three weeks ago, but my Ego got in the way. I was sure I was up to the challenge. Well I was wrong, the body pretty much shut down. I’ll take a week to ten days of, except for an abs workout and some cardio.

I have to wonder some times, just how many times I’ll have learn my lesson. That Ego is always getting me in trouble. It will be great to see my jump in reps on the pull up bar. Be really super to hit 16 reps on the first round, we’ll see. Lots of rest and stretching then I’ll be chomping at the bit ready for another three week round of fun.

Time to start planning ahead. I have one more three week routine and then a month of legs. I have the thinking cap on to dream up some innovative ideas for leg explosiveness. Been watch the MMA fighter workouts and I may have so good ideas rolling around in my head.

Started eating like crazy yesterday. I need some body fat to get me through what is going to be a month of hell, March. I’m going to burn some serious calories during that month, taper it down through April. Then it will be time to strap on the skate and let the fun begin, I can’t express how much I love to roller blade. It will be 50 kmh plus and then a lot of my friends are going to eat some serious crow.

I spend a lot of time alone because I hate wasting my energy battling negative energy. It’s mind boggling how many people don’t believe how amazing the human body is and what can be achieved with it. I hear one more person say “Aren’t you a little old for that” and I’m going to lose it on them.

Dream Big, Think Big, Act Big, Be Big!

I’m bored, and when I’m bored I eat and eat and eat. Need some fat on me any way, got some super intense training coming up and I can only eat so much in a day. Try to get up to 12 or 14% bf. Give me something to burn off in the next couple of months.

Starting to write up a workout routine for my legs this March. Got three days off work so I hope to have it posted by some time Monday. Let you guys pick it apart especially the power part, I’m not really knowledgeable in that area and I’ve come to respect you guys for your abilities and dedication. So I’ll be looking forward to your input.

Stay strong guys, here’s to given’er.

Well here it is, I’ve done all these numbers before. It may take a week before I hit the top numbers. I use the machines but if you guys recommend different I’ll give the free weight squats a try. I was trained in them so I know the technique, need to get a belt thou.

Squat Machine
90 X 8
180 X 8
270 X 8
360 X 8
450 X ?

Leg Press
270 X 8
360 X 8
450 X 8
540 X 8
630 X ?

Leg Press (moving seat, alternating one leg push offs)
100 X 8ea
120 X 8
140 X 8
150 X 8
160 X 8

Squat machine single leg squat
90 X ?
110 X ?
130 X ?
? ? ?

Lunges till I drop

Question, squat machine foot position. Is it a comfort thing or a technique thing.
Fire away guys, planning to start Feb 11/08

Sorry starting date is March 01/08, a little brain dead today.

[quote]streamline wrote:

I spend a lot of time alone because I hate wasting my energy battling negative energy. It’s mind boggling how many people don’t believe how amazing the human body is and what can be achieved with it. I hear one more person say “Aren’t you a little old for that” and I’m going to lose it on them.

Dream Big, Think Big, Act Big, Be Big! [/quote]

I dont think you understand how much I appreciate what you said there. Its a nice motivator, but it also makes me realize just how much training I do alone, for the same reasons.

You asked "Question, squat machine foot position. Is it a comfort thing or a technique thing. "

Foot position should be shoulder width apart or wherever is comfortable with feet angled out slightly. Moving feet forward or backward should shift emphasis between quads and hams depending on the machine.

What I like to do is back squats, followed by Romanian deadlifts followed by leg press. I feel my whole leg gets a workout with that. On alternate leg days I do front squats, deadlifts and leg press. Either way, I get quads, hams and then, since lower back is the limiting factor in both my squats and deadlifts, I go heavy on the leg press to finish them off.

[quote]stuward wrote:
You asked "Question, squat machine foot position. Is it a comfort thing or a technique thing. "

Foot position should be shoulder width apart or wherever is comfortable with feet angled out slightly. Moving feet forward or backward should shift emphasis between quads and hams depending on the machine.

What I like to do is back squats, followed by Romanian deadlifts followed by leg press. I feel my whole leg gets a workout with that. On alternate leg days I do front squats, deadlifts and leg press. Either way, I get quads, hams and then, since lower back is the limiting factor in both my squats and deadlifts, I go heavy on the leg press to finish them off. [/quote]

Thanks stuward, Romanian deadlifts I may know what they are but not with that name. Could you please explain, Thanks.

Also known as keystone deadlifts or stiff legged deadlifts.

[quote]streamline wrote:
Well here it is, I’ve done all these numbers before. It may take a week before I hit the top numbers. I use the machines but if you guys recommend different I’ll give the free weight squats a try. I was trained in them so I know the technique, need to get a belt thou.

Squat Machine
90 X 8
180 X 8
270 X 8
360 X 8
450 X ?

Leg Press
270 X 8
360 X 8
450 X 8
540 X 8
630 X ?

Leg Press (moving seat, alternating one leg push offs)
100 X 8ea
120 X 8
140 X 8
150 X 8
160 X 8

Squat machine single leg squat
90 X ?
110 X ?
130 X ?
? ? ?

Lunges till I drop

Question, squat machine foot position. Is it a comfort thing or a technique thing.
Fire away guys, planning to start Feb 11/08[/quote]

Why squat machine and leg press? Have you tried back and/or front squats with a barbell? I think you’ll find it’s more intense than the machines.

[quote]stuward wrote:
Also known as keystone deadlifts or stiff legged deadlifts.[/quote]

I was sure I knew thanks steward. Ass busters would be a great name.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:

Why squat machine and leg press? Have you tried back and/or front squats with a barbell? I think you’ll find it’s more intense than the machines.

[/quote]

Now thats an answer I has looking for. So I’ll pick up a belt, have check the weight out. Not sure if I can free weight that much. But I want what works best for my body not my ego, so I’ll give that a try. Thanks.

[quote]streamline wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:

Now thats an answer I has looking for. So I’ll pick up a belt, have check the weight out. Not sure if I can free weight that much. But I want what works best for my body not my ego, so I’ll give that a try. Thanks.[/quote]

I suggest you start with front squats. No belt needed. Go light and deep to start. Concentrate on form.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:

I suggest you start with front squats. No belt needed. Go light and deep to start. Concentrate on form.

[/quote]

Now I want to go do some lifting, this thing is contagous. Light and real deep it will be. I’m all about form, makes you look good and lets you walk straight. Thanks!

You’ll dig the hell out of those front squats streamline. Sound to me like you have the type drive to torture yourself like that. :slight_smile:

[quote]streamline wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:

Now I want to go do some lifting, this thing is contagous. Light and real deep it will be. I’m all about form, makes you look good and lets you walk straight. Thanks! [/quote]

Some pointers to keep you focused:

1. The bar should rest tight up against the base of your neck to the point where you feel a slight choking.

2. Keep your elbows high.

3. Don’t grip the bar with your whole hand. All you need under the bar are the fingertips of a few fingers. You’ll feel a good stretch in your wrists.

4. Breathe in, tighten up your gut, and descend into the squat. Do not suck in your gut.

Getting your form right on front squats right will help when you add back squats. If you lean forward on front squats, you will fall forward.

This young lady has good form. She is also a good example of going deep.

I’m going to the gym this morning for cadio. I think I’ll practice my form with the front squat. I don’t plan on a leg routine till March, once I’m through the program I’m already doing. I can however get my form down solid so I will be ready to give her.

Having said that I’ll probable end up doing them regular as soon as I feel comfortable. If I feel them working I know I won’t be able to hold off. As I stated in my first post, I’m a gym junkie, plus being single leaves me committed only to me, which is great for now. Thanks I’ll keep you posted and drag my daughter down to video my form, that should really help. Thanks again, stay strong!

Tried the front squat today. Hamstring to the calves was no problem. The problem was up top, lot of stress on the wrists (which I can probable live with) my arms however seem to be too long. I can not get my elbows up really high because it pushes my wrists up to my neck. If I rest the bar against my neck and use my finger tips my elbows end up at the bottom of my chest.

I’m thinking the reason for high elbows would be to maintain bar support. This makes me wonder about heavier weight creating to much stress on the wrist with out the high elbows. I have seen guys using a cross arm technique is this an option. I gave it a try from memory but it didn’t seem to secure the bar in place as well. My form, however, may not have been proper. Any tips guys, Thanks. Stay strong!

It’s not the wrist that holds the bar, it’s the delts. Look at the girl in the picture again. The hands are for balance. The elbows are up so your delts can hold the bar.
Go to: http://stronglifts.com/
It’s nor connecting right now but he has some information on front squat technique. You may have to search a bit.